can this be hooked up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : can this be hooked up?

bob1000
05-29-2010, 07:33 AM
My sub woofer went out but I have a pair of old infinity overture 1 speakers that each have built in 150 watt 10 inch powered woofers. One is now my center speaker and it does an adequate job of adding depth to the my AV sound in place of the sub woofer. . It probably sounds like a DefTech CLR 2300.

I was thinking about using the other one as a sub but the hook up will be a little odd. Will this work and will it sound OK? And will it not be likely to break anything?

1) Plug an old RCA cable into my receiver's sub out

2) Cut off and strip the other end.

3) Attach the stripped end to the overture 1 left input

4) set my receiver to only output 80db to the sub out

5) Plug it in and turn on the sound system

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-29-2010, 07:47 AM
My sub woofer went out but I have a pair of old infinity overture 1 speakers that each have built in 150 watt 10 inch powered woofers. One is now my center speaker and it does an adequate job of adding depth to the my AV sound in place of the sub woofer. . It probably sounds like a DefTech CLR 2300.

I was thinking about using the other one as a sub but the hook up will be a little odd. Will this work and will it sound OK? And will it not be likely to break anything?

5) Plug it in and turn on the sound system

I would not recommend using a main speaker as a sub unless it has been customized to take up that role. Rarely does a main speaker drivers have enough stroke to keep distortion down, but playback at high levels in the deep bass.

These days you can find a good performing sub for about $500. HSU and SVS have models priced in that area, and they perform exceptionally well for the price. Get a sub to do sub duties, you are better off that way.

VintageTurntable
05-29-2010, 08:19 AM
My dad has a Teac PD-365 he had since the 80's or 90's & it reads CD's okay but it skips all over the place. He tried to blow any dust out with his Quincy Air Compressor but still skips. Any Suggestions

markw
05-29-2010, 08:40 AM

5) Plug it in and turn on the sound systemYou might want to make an inquiry to the manufacturer of your subwoofer as to what a replacement driver would cost.

There are substantial physical differences between woofers and SUB woofers and, besides, a sub's performance is derived from a pretty exacting mating of the driver and it's enclosure.

To put it simply, you just can't plop any speaker in a box simply because it's the same size and expect good performance.

Mr Peabody
05-29-2010, 04:52 PM
The set up may not be optimum but it will work until you can do something else.

What are you using for mains? Why not use the Ovatures for mains? If you set the receiver to "no sub" the effect will virtually be the same as using the Ovature for a sub but actually a bit better set up as the LFE will be going to two Ovatures opposed to one. When you set the receiver to "no sub" the receiver will direct the LFE to the mains.

bob1000
05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm not using the overtures as mains because I would have to drill holes in furniture to make a place for the electric cords to go. As a center, the back is open. Also, overtures click on and off if the sub doesn't get any output within 7 minutes. Using them with a center speaker is annoying. The mains are B&W602, the center was a CC6 and the rears are B&W601.

Keeping in mind the 7 minute/click, using it as a sub would probably be a mistake.

I'll probably keep the overture as the center and try to repair the old sub. I think it needs an amplifier replacement. I don't think that would be too hard. Looking at pictures, the old amplifier looks like a simple replacement. Someone tell me, is the speaker a plug in or will I have to solder it to the new amp? The sub is an old DefTech prosub 100.

Mr Peabody
05-30-2010, 08:44 PM
The very few sub insides I've seen have been crimp/slide on connectors from amp to speakers. The amp module can be unscrewed if you want to take a look at the insides. Typically, people just buy a new amp module, as you stated. Depending on age of sub and cost of replacement amp, will dictate your best option.