Good Deal for Yamaha Receiver? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal for Yamaha Receiver?

HGlenn
04-04-2004, 11:28 AM
Does $200 for a Yamaha 5450 receiver seems like a good deal? It's a floor model, no remote, no instruction manuel, no box, and a very minor scratch on the top near the front. Thanks.

markw
04-04-2004, 12:33 PM
I don't think anyone can live without these in this day and age. Too many intricate little switches on too many menus to set. And some might not be available without the remote, assuming you knew where to look in the first place. And, how do you know where to look without a manual?

Sorry, I'd pass.

kexodusc
04-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I'd pass on that one too...besides, you can get waaayyy more receiver, in a much newer model for just a few more bucks...heck Etronics is selling the 5640 for $199 (plus shipping) with remote, manual, and 1-year warranty...you could add an extended warranty on that for cheap too...or the 5630 model for $150...
Anyway...you're in the neighborhood, but keep shopping. You wil be rewarded for your patience!!!

HGlenn
04-04-2004, 01:48 PM
That's what I thought. Glad I listened to my gut. Thanks. I will keep looking.

kexodusc
04-04-2004, 02:20 PM
HGlenn: Perhaps we could help you if you'd list your budget and feature requirements. Do you have a preference for Yamaha in particular?

r3dline
04-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Yeah, you could find a newer receiver with just as much audio performance (or more, even) for that price, I would think.

As for the manual, however...check the manufacturer's web-site to see if you can download it in PDF format. I know NAD does that...I don't know about Yamaha...

EDIT: Here's the manual: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals/HTR545_1.PDF

And here's where to find any other Yamaha receiver manual:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/manuals.htm

HGlenn
04-05-2004, 03:48 AM
I'm on a fairly tight budget to replace my 12 year old Pioneer VSX5700 --say no more than $300 for a receiver. We do watch movies in surround, but also have an extensive CD and vinyl collection that we listen to. Any suggestions/guidance is appreciated. Thx

Woochifer
04-05-2004, 11:25 AM
You definitely want the original remote because a lot of the universal remotes out there cannot easily control the labyrinth of DSP modes and setup menus on the Yamaha receivers. I believe that Yamaha replacement remotes alone will run you around $80 (at least for the programmable models).

As others have said, the 5640 (and the equivalent RX-V440) is now going for around $200-$230, and since it's a closeout model, you should be able to find that kind of price just about anywhere (Best Buy usually takes its time before posting a closeout price, but you should be able to print out a few quotes and negotiate it down, since they know it's a discontinued item). The 5650 should be available for right around $300, and I would recommend that model if you can afford it because of its better video switching capabilities.

If you go mail order, just make sure that you buy from an authorized dealer. Inadvertently go with an unauthorized vendor, and you void the factory warranty.