Converting DVD Player to Blue Ray? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Converting DVD Player to Blue Ray?

onsight2003
05-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I have a Denon DVD3910 player and if it's possible, would like to have it converted to a Blue Ray Player. Is there any technicians on this forum that would know the answer to this inquiry? Of course I would like to retain the capability to play "DVD Audio" as well as "Super Audio CD's" as I can with this player.

Swish
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
I have a Denon DVD3910 player and if it's possible, would like to have it converted to a Blue Ray Player. Is there any technicians on this forum that would know the answer to this inquiry? Of course I would like to retain the capability to play "DVD Audio" as well as "Super Audio CD's" as I can with this player.

Take the Denon, place it in a box and store it in your attic. Go to the nearest electronics/audio store that handles Denon and buy a DVD-3800BDCI.

That was easy!

kelsci
05-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Swish, that's a real humourous answer to onsights plight especially his question.

Onsight, swish gave you the answer. Just be sure any Blue Ray player you choose can do what you want it to. I do not know the specs of Swishes Denon recommendation so you should check that out. I do not think that playing DVD-Audio is found on most players but always check the specifications to be sure.

Swish
05-28-2010, 03:18 AM
Swish, that's a real humourous answer to onsights plight especially his question.

Onsight, swish gave you the answer. Just be sure any Blue Ray player you choose can do what you want it to. I do not know the specs of Swishes Denon recommendation so you should check that out. I do not think that playing DVD-Audio is found on most players but always check the specifications to be sure.

I have no idea if that Blu-Ray also plays DVD-Audio, but I was trying to point out that you cannot convert the current player to Blu-Ray. Well, perhaps it could be done by someone crazy enough to bother, but the cost would likely outweigh the benefit.

markw
05-28-2010, 03:39 AM
I have a Denon DVD3910 player and if it's possible, would like to have it converted to a Blue Ray Player. Is there any technicians on this forum that would know the answer to this inquiry? Of course I would like to retain the capability to play "DVD Audio" as well as "Super Audio CD's" as I can with this player.It's like trying to convert a Mini to an Audi. They're both cars, right?

Look at the Oppo 83 or 80 for a reasonable priced universal player.

audio amateur
05-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Your best bet as others have said is to buy the BR equivalent. You can try selling your current DVD player though I don't know how much you'll get for it...

pixelthis
05-28-2010, 10:35 AM

Only cost 200,000 dollars or so.
DONT LET THE OTHERS GET YOU DOWN, or dissuade you, this is a very good
idea.
They laughed at that guy that wanted to turn a Delorean into a time machine and look
at him.
I turned a 63 CHEVY into an alarm clock once, cured that old dozing off during long trips
problem, but it would only go ten feet before it got unplugged.:1:

markw
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
I see it upconverts and, if it's as good as my Denon 1940CI, it does a pretty damn good job. You won't get much better upconversion on existing DVD's.

Woochifer
05-29-2010, 07:58 PM
You want Blu-ray, buy a Blu-ray player. It's that simple.

If you want to keep DVD-A and SACD capability, keep your Denon and add a dedicated Blu-ray player. Or just buy a universal Blu-ray player (options currently limited to the expensive Denons or the less expensive Oppos).

Trying to retrofit a DVD player for Blu-ray is ridiculously unfeasible. Rigging your player for Blu-ray playback would require a different drive, different video processors, and a slew of firmware hacks that probably not even the engineers at Denon have tried.

pixelthis
05-31-2010, 02:58 PM
You want Blu-ray, buy a Blu-ray player. It's that simple.

If you want to keep DVD-A and SACD capability, keep your Denon and add a dedicated Blu-ray player. Or just buy a universal Blu-ray player (options currently limited to the expensive Denons or the less expensive Oppos).

Trying to retrofit a DVD player for Blu-ray is ridiculously unfeasible. Rigging your player for Blu-ray playback would require a different drive, different video processors, and a slew of firmware hacks that probably not even the engineers at Denon have tried.

Not to mention a Blu laser.:1: