Gotta love Canadian Television [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love Canadian Television

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2010, 11:24 AM
All you Yanks have no idea what you're missing.

TORONTO - Former NHL star Theo Fleury is set to lace up for the upcoming season of "Battle of the Blades."

He'll join Russ Courtnall and eight other hockey stars for a second go-round of the kitschy CBC reality show, which kicks off Sept. 26.

Fleury recently made headlines for alleging sexual abuse at the hands of former coach Graham James. The claims were detailed last year in his autobiography, "Playing With Fire."

CBC announced his involvement as it revealed a fall lineup anchored by a sitcom based on the Paul Gross curling film, "Men With Brooms"...

Meanwhile, "Men With Brooms" joins CBC's Monday-night lineup Sept. 20. The single-camera comedy is about a group of friends who hang out at the same small-town curling club that was featured in the 2002 movie.

The debut features a cameo appearance by Gross, who resumes his role as curling star Chris Cutter, but direct tie-ins to the original film ends there, says writer Paul Mather says.

"It's set in the same small town, it's got the same kind of spirit of the movie but what I keep saying is, it's a little bit like 'Star Trek: The Next Generation', " says Mather.

"We're not going out of our way to reinvent anything but we're not matching the art design of the original film. We're taking some license with that."

Shooting begins in Winnipeg at the end of June and goes through August. Curling scenes will be shot at an actual rink, the Fort Rouge Curling Club.

Hockey players on figure skates and a sit-com about curling. :lol:

GMichael
05-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Men With Brooms?
I won't go there.

ForeverAutumn
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Men With Brooms?

A classic Canadian movie about curling. Very off the wall with Leslie Nielson and Paul Gross. Special guest appearances by The Tragically Hip. :biggrin5:

If you watch some of the scenes frame by frame, you can see my brother sitting in the crowd at the big curling tournament, as an extra.

3LB
05-28-2010, 08:42 AM
oy vey

ForeverAutumn
05-28-2010, 09:57 AM
oy vey
You sound like my Zeyde. :biggrin5:

Worf101
06-01-2010, 10:26 AM
I was gonna complain about our knuckleheaded neighbors to the north, but they recently endeared themselves to me so I won't lash out. My son marches with his school LaSalle Institute in several parades per year. This past weekend he marched in our local Memorial Day Parade. As the Parade started I noticed an odd contingent of troops in dark green Camo and Black Berets.... Odd, I thought sinice I'm generally familiar with all current US Bdus. As they go closer I noticed the familiar Red and White of the Canadian Flag. This fine looking lot of men took a day off to come march in our Memorial Day Parade. and I for one thank them.

Now as for your television????? Well they do show the occaisionall boobie so... it's all good.

Worf

ForeverAutumn
06-01-2010, 11:02 AM
That's wonderful Worf. Thanks for letting me know that. In general Canadians are very supportive of the US. We know the good work that the US troops do and we know that we can (and have to) rely heavily on them to protect our own way of life.

I'll never forget the first sporting event that I went to a few days after the US invaded Afghanistan. It was a professional lacrosse game and 15,000 Canadians stood tall and sang The Star Spangled Banner as loudly and proudly as if it was our own anthem. It was a beautiful moment.

I hope that you enjoyed your Memorial Day my friend. And thank you for your service.