Need help with my first venture [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my first venture

Stonyboys
05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Hello, I got my first decent headphones in Christmas of '09. Now, I have the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers. Since they are very revealing of bad sources, I have decided to stop listening to my iPod at home, and I decided to get a used CD player. Here are pictures:

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100526/292r5/064716h_20.jpeg
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100526/292r1/4537j39_20.jpeg

Now, I see that it doesn't have a 3.5mm output, so that means I can't connect my headphones to it directly. My question is, how do I make it compatible with my headphones? I'm aware that I can use the optical/coaxial outputs to connect it to a DAC, but the ones that have optical/coaxial inputs can run me up to $200. Is there a cheap method to convert the RCA outputs into a 3.5mm output?

dakatabg
05-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I think the best way to do it is to buy another cd player that has an output for headphones! Most of the cd players have an output so for about 20 bucks you can get one easily!

Stonyboys
05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
That's fine, I didn't actuallybuy it yet, it's an ad from craiglist.

Do you have any specific brands/suggestions?

E-Stat
05-27-2010, 09:30 AM
... and I decided to get a used CD player. Here are pictures:
Strictly speaking, that is a DVD player intended for video output. While it will certainly play CDs, it was not intended solely for listening which is why it does not have a headphone jack.

Now, I see that it doesn't have a 3.5mm output, so that means I can't connect my headphones to it directly. My question is, how do I make it compatible with my headphones?
You would need to add a headphone amplifier. The line level outputs of CD/DVD players are not intended to drive speakers or headphones directly.

rw

Stonyboys
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Is the best solution just to get a working CD/DVD drive for my computer? Mine stopped working for some reason, that's why I'm looking for a new CD player.

Ajani
05-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd keep your iPod and just get a headphone amp... a cheap CD player is not going to sound significantly better than your iPod... You can use the headphone amp either with the iPod or your computer... if you are using your computer then a USB headphone amp is probably the best bet...

Note: If you can, then I'd suggest ripping your files in lossless quality (rather than AAC - though 256K AAC is actually quite decent)....

blackraven
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Here's a cheap adapter that will convert the RCA outs of the player to a 3.5mm female plug-

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rca+to+3.5mm+adapter&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=7476849213847927513&ei=yvj-S9fjJ4m2Nu6MiDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDAQ8wIwAQ#

Stonyboys
05-27-2010, 04:47 PM
I'd keep your iPod and just get a headphone amp... a cheap CD player is not going to sound significantly better than your iPod... You can use the headphone amp either with the iPod or your computer... if you are using your computer then a USB headphone amp is probably the best bet...

Note: If you can, then I'd suggest ripping your files in lossless quality (rather than AAC - though 256K AAC is actually quite decent)....
Like I said, my CD drive stopped functioning so I can't rip music. But I used to rip them in WMP using the Windows Lossless format.

How does this look >http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=42

It can work with both my computer and iPod, right?

Mr Peabody
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
I commend you for wanting to go to CD from mp3. Most go the other way.

Ajani, I don't understand what you said, you first say CD wouldn't sound much better than mp3, which I disagree with, then you tell him to rip in Lossless, which is what CD would provide but even slightly better in my opinion.

All the Denon players I've seen have headphone jacks, as well as some Sony. It's actually a common feature on big brand players. Also, if you are searching Craigslist you could probably find a receiver for under $100.00 which would have a headphone jack and possibility of future expansion or fun.

Stonyboys
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the input peabody, but what do you think of the DAC/AMP i posted above?

Ajani
05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Like I said, my CD drive stopped functioning so I can't rip music. But I used to rip them in WMP using the Windows Lossless format.

How does this look >http://ibasso.com/en/products/show.asp?ID=42

It can work with both my computer and iPod, right?

Yep it would work with both... if you want a lot of suggestions for similiar products in your price range, I'd strongly sugest starting a thread on www.head-fi.org

Ajani
05-27-2010, 10:25 PM
Ajani, I don't understand what you said, you first say CD wouldn't sound much better than mp3, which I disagree with, then you tell him to rip in Lossless, which is what CD would provide but even slightly better in my opinion.

That's not what I said. I said a cheap CD player wouldn't sound better than his iPod... iPod does not mean MP3... I then suggested to ensure that he ripped in lossless to get the best quality out of his iPod...

As for whether MP3 would sound much worse than lossless - well that is an ongoing debate... Some persons say yes, others no... and of course it depends on how compressed the files are, the type of music and what format: AAC has been shown to be far better than MP3 at the same bit-rate... I find high bit-rate AAC to be quite decent... though I see no reason to use lossy compression, since storage is so cheap...

Stonyboys
05-28-2010, 06:02 AM
Yep it would work with both... if you want a lot of suggestions for similiar products in your price range, I'd strongly sugest starting a thread on www.head-fi.org
Haha yeah that's the site that I've been browsing since Christmas.

Is ibasso sold in stores or just online.

Mr Peabody
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand. Some people have been happy with the cheap Chinese products. You might want to also take a look at Trends to see what they have to offer. Their original little digital amp, $150.00, won in a shoot out against some much more expensive gear. FWIW

Stonyboys
05-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand. Some people have been happy with the cheap Chinese products. You might want to also take a look at Trends to see what they have to offer. Their original little digital amp, $150.00, won in a shoot out against some much more expensive gear. FWIW
Sorry, is "Trends" a store? Never heard of it.

pixelthis
05-29-2010, 08:46 AM
The Basso looks good..
Your phones should have come with an adapter that screws onto the end, so your
"cans" will fit in a receivers plug in the front.
Don't have one? they are pretty cheap at radio shack.
And cheap CD player will sound better than that DVD player, some have headphone and vollume knobs.:1:

winston
05-29-2010, 10:15 AM
"Stonyboys... Just a little addition to the replies, as you ask about CD players??!!

http://www.accessories4less.com has Marantz CD players from $150-$300+ these players sells well over the years!!....

(love the looks of the Ibasso units) but "I used the Musical Fidelity V-Can Headphone Amplifier with Audio Technica AD-700 Cans "and they turned out to be a nice pair IMO... anyways what ever you choose from the (replies) good luck man.

Mr Peabody
05-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Trends Audio is a brand http://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=56

They got a lot of attention when they put their Class T amp on the market.