Spam & Mods [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spam & Mods

Mr Peabody
05-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I see AR has been hit with another spam attack, from "Am Selling Bank Logggin". We were hit about a week or so with a big attack like this one. I noticed it and emailed a couple Mods and reported a couple the posts via the "report bad post" link. Not so much as even a private Thank you from any one like I've seen public thanks given here on the board. But that doesn't bother me. What does bother me spammers can get away with this due to part time Mods but certain Mods have time to come into threads and throw their authority around by trying to tell us what we should talk about in a thread. I realize a need for order on the board but it just looks like harassment when we hardly ever see a Mod then one day one will appear to rattle the saber at the regulars while some new person can log in and take all the time to fill up the board with spam without being stopped in time to prevent all these new threads.. It also appears that only certain member's threads will receive a visit while others who may be in the Mod's click who may be posting in a similar manner goes....... let's say unnoticed.

dakatabg
05-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Yeah I see a lot of spam lately. My google mail gets full with spam everyday! I get things that I have millions to be transfered or I won the lottery and etc.

Some people have nothing better to do

thekid
05-27-2010, 01:43 AM
+1 Mr.P!

I will add that if I knew enough about the process of being a mod and was not w/o computer access as much as I am I would see if I could help. This site seems to be very susceptible to these spam attacks while over on AK I have never seen them.

When talk of things that can be done to attract members to this site comes up could better control of the site itself be an issue? Alot of people probably see these spam attacks as a reflection of site security and a possible door to a computer virus. Besides the hassle factor these spam attacks could be hurting the ability of this site to attract/retain new members.

JohnMichael
05-27-2010, 02:04 AM
I see AR has been hit with another spam attack, from "Am Selling Bank Logggin". We were hit about a week or so with a big attack like this one. I noticed it and emailed a couple Mods and reported a couple the posts via the "report bad post" link. Not so much as even a private Thank you from any one like I've seen public thanks given here on the board. But that doesn't bother me. What does bother me spammers can get away with this due to part time Mods but certain Mods have time to come into threads and throw their authority around by trying to tell us what we should talk about in a thread. I realize a need for order on the board but it just looks like harassment when we hardly ever see a Mod then one day one will appear to rattle the saber at the regulars while some new person can log in and take all the time to fill up the board with spam without being stopped in time to prevent all these new threads.. It also appears that only certain member's threads will receive a visit while others who may be in the Mod's click who may be posting in a similar manner goes....... let's say unnoticed.

I can only speak for myself and not Geoffcin or Bobsticks but I devote as much free time as I can. To set the record straight as a mod I have never received a report bad post from you but for some reason this does not seem to work for some members. I do receive them from other members. I also have never received a PM or e-mail about spam from you. I am not sure who you report it to but I doubt if it is to me. Several members who still show as mods are no longer mods. As far as I know Geoffcin, Bobsticks, Adam and myself are the only ones who can delete spam. Of course the engineers and code writers could also delete but they do not frequent as much as your friendly neighborhood mods.

I will attempt to use my I-phone and Wi Fi in my hotel to battle spam from Paris.

poppachubby
05-27-2010, 05:35 AM
What does bother me spammers can get away with this due to part time Mods but certain Mods have time to come into threads and throw their authority around by trying to tell us what we should talk about in a thread. I realize a need for order on the board but it just looks like harassment when we hardly ever see a Mod then one day one will appear to rattle the saber at the regulars while some new person can log in and take all the time to fill up the board with spam without being stopped in time to prevent all these new threads.. It also appears that only certain member's threads will receive a visit while others who may be in the Mod's click who may be posting in a similar manner goes....... let's say unnoticed.

All I have to say, is that this board is pretty much left to it's own devices. The mods leave everyone to roam and post freely. I don't mind this at all. As far as Mods picking and choosing victims, I don't see it.

Great job to all of the Mods and Adam.

audio amateur
05-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Indeed I'm not sure what the big problem is...

atomicAdam
05-27-2010, 07:55 AM
Unfortunately, due to certain decisions, a vB upgrade is long over due. Seriously long over due. I'd say, hopefully, that will be changing soon, but I'd be repeating myself, with no results.

I'd go into more details but I can't really. Unfortunately spam is just something we are going to have to stay on top of while we have the will.

Thanks again Mods for doing what you do. We all appreciate the effort.

Mr Peabody
05-27-2010, 02:27 PM
JM, not sure where it goes but I have sent many spam by clicking at the end of the post "report bad post". I saw the last attack happen as emails were coming to my box due to the spammer posting on threads I have replied to. Your CP does not accept email. I emailed Bobsticks and Adam when the prior attack happened.

If you or Adam will do it or tell me how I'd like to close this thread. It's one of those things you feel at the time and act on but later wish you had not.