Jamo 608s - need an amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Jamo 608s - need an amp

Toey
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi there,

I'm looking at getting the new Jamo 608s. They will mainly be used for TV/Movies. I have a rather large lounge/dinning/kitchen area that has titles on the floor. We will be getting some rugs though.

Anyway, I've been looking at some speakers and found the Jamo 608 should meet my needs. Now I need to find an amp. I'm leaning towards the Denon 790. I started favoring the Onkyo 606, but now I think the Denon might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a suitable amp? Budget would be no more than $1000au.

Hyfi
05-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Are you going to complete a Home Theater or just use as 2 CH setup? The Denon will drive these but you could do much better with a 2 ch integrated or separates.

Toey
05-26-2010, 02:11 PM
Going for a HT set up. It's a large space too.

Mr Peabody
05-26-2010, 02:35 PM
I favor Onkyo because of the high current amp section but Denon makes a good product as well. Your best bet would be to sit down and look at what features you want and need to help narrow it down. You have a good budget but why spend money on 2nd/3rd zone if you'll never use it, just as an example. Will you want to add an amp later or keep the option open? If so, you will want preamp outputs. Do you want 5.1 only or 6 or 7.1? In an area to take advantage of HD radio? USB or I-pod compatible? You get the picture. Find the models that give you what you want and then try to give a listen and inquire on those models. If you stick to brands like Onkyo, Denon, Marantz or Yamaha you'll be alright. With your budget you may even take a look at Cambridge or NAD entry models which could possibly give better overall sound quality, this is subjective, of course.

Mr Peabody
05-26-2010, 04:12 PM
608's look like nice speakers and they have recommended center and surrounds which I recommend you using when going to surround. It's important to have the speakers timbre match, especially the 3 front. In case others are interested and you haven't seen the matching speakers; http://jamo.info/na-en/products/s-608-description/

Toey
05-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the responces. I have a look at the Onkyo 607 and the Denon 790, then stumbled across the Pioneer 1019.

Seperate zones are not a mush have, and additional amps are not in the scheme of things at the moment. It will be a HT system that will also play an ipod for casual listening and the odd party or two.

I'm happy with 5.1 as the room is not conductive to 7.1.

Mr Peabody
05-26-2010, 07:33 PM
In my post when I mentioned receiver brands if you notice Pioneer and Sony were missing and intentionally so. My personal bias though. Sometimes a bit more expense is well worth it in the long run. You might want to check some online retail sites for user reviews as well as here at AR.

Toey
05-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Ok, thanks again. I'm doing a lot of reading and the Pioneer got mentioned that's all. I'm favouring the Onkyo 607 or the Denon 790.

manlystanley
05-27-2010, 05:33 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking at getting the new Jamo 608s. They will mainly be used for TV/Movies. I have a rather large lounge/dinning/kitchen area that has titles on the floor. We will be getting some rugs though.

Anyway, I've been looking at some speakers and found the Jamo 608 should meet my needs. Now I need to find an amp. I'm leaning towards the Denon 790. I started favoring the Onkyo 606, but now I think the Denon might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a suitable amp? Budget would be no more than $1000au.

I know nothing about the S608's, but I've heard great things about the Jamo C607s. Have you thought about trying them out instead?? At lest in the US, you get can them shipped for less the US $550:

https://www.electrocloseout.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=JMC607BK

Also, the new Denon's have not been getting the best reviews.

Best Regards,
Stan