I've been invited to see James Taylor and Carol King! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I've been invited to see James Taylor and Carol King!

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
One of our suppliers has two box seats to see James Taylor with Carol King this Friday night and has invited me to go with her!

I've seen Carol King before and she puts on an awesome show. But I've never seen James Taylor. I've wanted to...just never enough to dish out the dough for good seats.

This supplier royally screwed up a product launch for us earlier in the year and I've spent a huge amount of my time working with them to correct the problems so that we can relaunch the product in June. They've been trying very hard to make it up to us. This might do it...well, almost. :devil:

I'm totally psyched for this show!

GMichael
05-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Enjoy. Don't forget to take notes.

I guess in a way it's good to have suppliers who screw up.

3LB
05-25-2010, 08:03 AM
I have a JT DVD. Its a real sedate affair, but he is perfectly at home and has a good repore with the audience. I'd be shocked if the two acts didn't have some sort of crossover planned, as CK wrote some of JT's early songs (You Got A Friend to name one) and JT sang back-up on her seminal Tapestry album and I think the two of them had a threesome with Carly Simon. (ok I may be a tad fuzzy on that last part)

Stone
05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Don't forget the NoDoz.

JohnMichael
05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Carole puts on quite a show. I saw her in Columbus and would love to see her again. Went to a bar after the concert and Carole and some band mates walk in and of course star struck me had to stand and clap. I felt bad afterwards when I realized she might have wanted to just have a drink. Then I even went up to talk to her.

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Carole puts on quite a show. I saw her in Columbus and would love to see her again. Went to a bar after the concert and Carole and some band mates walk in and of course star struck me had to stand and clap. I felt bad afterwards when I realized she might have wanted to just have a drink. Then I even went up to talk to her.

I think that standing up and clapping is a lovely compliment. Anytime you feel like standing up and clapping when I enter a room, please don't hold back. :D

JohnMichael
05-25-2010, 06:13 PM
I think that standing up and clapping is a lovely compliment. Anytime you feel like standing up and clapping when I enter a room, please don't hold back. :D

I would love to once again be in your presence. Yes I shall clap and maybe a gentlemanly bow.

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
And I shall return the clap.

Oh, maybe that doesn't sound so good. :nonod:

JohnMichael
05-25-2010, 06:36 PM
And I shall return the clap.

Oh, maybe that doesn't sound so good. :nonod:

Believe it or not but I have gone my whole life without a case of applause. Of course when I return from Paris we shall see if I carried anything home in my baggage.:yikes:

thekid
05-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Never seen Carole but saw JT a few years ago. Excellent show and his voice is timeless.
Congrats!

Swish
05-26-2010, 04:08 AM
...but J.T. just sounds so...boring. Yes, I like Fire and Rain and all that back in the 'Sweet Baby James' days, but his later work doesn't do it for me. It all seems so AOR to me.

Free tickets though? Why not.

bfalls
05-26-2010, 05:05 AM
"Sweet Baby James" and Carole King, Wow that takes me back. I've always enjoyed JT's music, but don't think I've ever purchased an album. I also remember listening to Carole King's Tapestry many, many times.

Recently listened to Allison Kraus' "A Hundred Miles or More" and heard her and JT's "How's the World Treating You". Excellent performance. Both Carole and James are still very popular and have great following. Looking forward to hearing FA review of the concert.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2010, 05:27 AM
...but J.T. just sounds so...boring. Yes, I like Fire and Rain and all that back in the 'Sweet Baby James' days, but his later work doesn't do it for me. It all seems so AOR to me.

Free tickets though? Why not.

Exactly. I love Carole King. I've been listening to Tapestry this morning and she has to be one of the best song writers of our time.

I have a Best Of James Taylor CD and I pull it out on occasion when I'm in the mood for a specific song but I rarely can sit through the whole disk without nodding off at some point. However, live music is a whole different experience than a CD. And with so many die-hard JT fans, I'm expecting a tremendous energy at the show in spite of the laid-back music.

The whole evening promises to be fun. The supplier who is taking me is about my age and has a great sense of humour. She's taking me out for dinner first. And then we, apparently, have excellent seats with access to a private lounge between sets. These are corporate seats that would cost over $500 each for a hockey game and should be nice and close to the stage.

I'll post a review on the weekend, but I only know Taylor's big hits, so don't expect a set list from me as I expect that there will be a lot of stuff played that I won't know.

JohnMichael
05-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Exactly. I love Carole King. I've been listening to Tapestry this morning and she has to be one of the best song writers of our time.

I have a Best Of James Taylor CD and I pull it out on occasion when I'm in the mood for a specific song but I rarely can sit through the whole disk without nodding off at some point. However, live music is a whole different experience than a CD. And with so many die-hard JT fans, I'm expecting a tremendous energy at the show in spite of the laid-back music.

The whole evening promises to be fun. The supplier who is taking me is about my age and has a great sense of humour. She's taking me out for dinner first. And then we, apparently, have excellent seats with access to a private lounge between sets. These are corporate seats that would cost over $500 each for a hockey game and should be nice and close to the stage.

I'll post a review on the weekend, but I only know Taylor's big hits, so don't expect a set list from me as I expect that there will be a lot of stuff played that I won't know.

Have a most excellent time. I will be thinking of you and the music while I sip wine at a sidewalk cafe in Paris.

Stone
05-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Awww, come on. Not even a "boo" on the NoDoz comment???

Seriously, have a good time.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2010, 07:41 AM
Awww, come on. Not even a "boo" on the NoDoz comment???

Seriously, have a good time.

No. I thought it was a great idea! I've already packed some in my purse so I don't forget.

ForeverAutumn
05-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Have a most excellent time. I will be thinking of you and the music while I sip wine at a sidewalk cafe in Paris.

Wanna trade?!

Have an amazing time John! Send me pictures when you get back. And most of all, travel safe. :)

ForeverAutumn
05-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Last night was a great show! I'm so happy that I got to go. From the first song, I could hear that Carole's voice was rough. It turns out that she has a cold. Regardless, even though her voice was hoarse and gave out the occasional crack, she gave it her all and still sounded great! What a trooper!

When James Taylor started to sing, I got chills. He really puts on a great live show. He's much more entertaining live than on CD. And very funny.

The crowd adored them. Moreso Carole than James I think. She got a standing ovation after almost every song that she did...cracking voice and all.

Our seats were fantastic! Probably less than 100 feet from the stage. I was really sorry that I didn't take camera with me.

The combination of Carole King and James Taylor is magical. Really. It's obvious that they are great friends and they have great chemistry. My only problem with the show is that Carole would play one of her great pop songs and make me dance in my seat, then James would play one of his songs and bring down the whole mood. It was a little weird that way.

Overall it was a great show! I really had the feeling that I was witnessing something very special.

JohnMichael
05-29-2010, 11:46 AM
FA I am so glad you had a great time. Carole has such great energy on stage. I could relate so much to her songs.....Feel like a natural woman.

Swish
05-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Last night was a great show! I'm so happy that I got to go. From the first song, I could hear that Carole's voice was rough. It turns out that she has a cold. Regardless, even though her voice was hoarse and gave out the occasional crack, she gave it her all and still sounded great! What a trooper!

When James Taylor started to sing, I got chills. He really puts on a great live show. He's much more entertaining live than on CD. And very funny.

The crowd adored them. Moreso Carole than James I think. She got a standing ovation after almost every song that she did...cracking voice and all.

Our seats were fantastic! Probably less than 100 feet from the stage. I was really sorry that I didn't take camera with me.

The combination of Carole King and James Taylor is magical. Really. It's obvious that they are great friends and they have great chemistry. My only problem with the show is that Carole would play one of her great pop songs and make me dance in my seat, then James would play one of his songs and bring down the whole mood. It was a little weird that way.

Overall it was a great show! I really had the feeling that I was witnessing something very special.

You were obviously awake for the entirety, so I'm guessing you were amped up on something.

ForeverAutumn
05-29-2010, 03:21 PM
Just high on live music. A tight, well executed, professional showcase. :D