Flyers are playing for cup. Holy crap. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Flyers are playing for cup. Holy crap.

Swish
05-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Chicago looks like the real deal though, so I'm really worried. Heck, I've been worried every game since the first round. This should be entertaining at the very least.

Swish

poppachubby
05-25-2010, 03:38 AM
Yes, the Habs did the dirty work. Clearly they ran out of steam. Good luck to your team Swish, but either way the Cup will be in the US which you have to like.

kexodusc
05-25-2010, 04:41 AM
No matter what happens the Flyers have nothing to be ashamed of. Sure the critics will point out that they've had the easiest run of opponents to the Cup Final in a generation, but winning 3 rounds against any opponent is still a tough feat in the salary cap era where the gap between #1 and #16 is pretty tight - just ask the Caps and Penguins...or Sharks and Red Wings. And if they do beat Chicago, they're beating the best team of the playoffs so far, so nobody should play that card. Reality is some key injuries during the year kept this team from showing its true potential - they should have been right there with the Devils and Caps all year and have finally got it together when it matters most. Carter and Richards are proving to be the playoff warriors the Flyers have needed since...uh, Peter Zezel? The future is bright...

Predictions:
Gotta be honest - I'd be shocked if the series last more than 5 games with the Hawks winning it, and at least 2 margins of victory by 3 goals or more. Gotta admit though, after the Flyers miraculous comeback against the Bruins they've just kept the momentum going so I guess I shouldn't be suprised if the Flyers end up winning in 4. This could be a team of destiny. And if they do, they'll earn a spot in history beside the 93 Canadiens as probably the most improbably Cup Champs in the modern era. Gotta love the goaltending story here. Predictions are worthless and I also picked the Bruins to beat them so I've been wrong about their chances once already.

Richards made the ultimate blunder touching the Prince of Whales trophy, but maybe he can break the curse?

Whoever wins will deserve to win it and both are good hockey towns so here's to hoping it's an entertaining series.

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2010, 05:47 AM
Richards made the ultimate blunder touching the Prince of Whales trophy, but maybe he can break the curse?

It wouldn't be the first time that someone touched the trophy and won the cup. I think that whole thing is just silly.

Good luck to your Flyers Swishy. Not that I have anything at stake either way, but I'm pulling for them.

Mr MidFi
05-25-2010, 05:49 AM
The 2 hottest goalies make it to the finals. Amazing what a .950 pct. in the conference finals will do for your team, ain't it?

Both teams are playing like a "team of destiny" at this point. Something has to give. I think it goes 6 games (to the Hawks), and each one will be tough, gritty, hard-hitting, hard-earned wins. Duncan Keith won't be the last NHL player to lose teeth this year!

Swish
05-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Yes, the Habs did the dirty work. Clearly they ran out of steam. Good luck to your team Swish, but either way the Cup will be in the US which you have to like.

...so long as it's not the detested Canadiens winning it. In fact, I'd rather any Canadian team win before them or the Penguins.

The dirty work? The Flyers took out #2 NJ, a team the defending champs couldn't beat during the regular season, and I'm betting that gave them an air of confidence and they overlooked the Habs. Beating Boston, while an upset, wasn't as big, but coming back the way they did was out of this world.

3LB
05-25-2010, 08:15 AM
please tell me, what is this "cup" of which you speak? some sort of of athletic thing?

Hyfi
05-25-2010, 08:20 AM
please tell me, what is this "cup" of which you speak? some sort of of athletic thing?

Shut up Mr Uneducated Athletic Supporter!

GMichael
05-25-2010, 08:35 AM
I used to like hocky, but there's too much skating between fights these days.

Hyfi
05-25-2010, 08:53 AM

That's why the Broad Street Bullies were so fun to watch. If you couldn't win by scoring, put somebody in the hospital.

Although fighting is not the real game, it sure added to the excitement of it.

ForeverAutumn
05-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Shut up Mr Uneducated Athletic Supporter!

He said "athletic supporter". (snicker, snicker)

Stone
05-25-2010, 10:07 AM
That's why the Broad Street Bullies were so fun to watch. If you couldn't win by scoring, put somebody in the hospital.

Although fighting is not the real game, it sure added to the excitement of it.

I just watched the documentary on them on HBO. It's a very entertaining piece and has quips by some of the BSBs themselves, including Bernie Parent.

Swish
05-25-2010, 11:05 AM

...of the Flyers. In fact, I can't remember even one in the playoffs. Nobody wants to take a 5 minute penalty and hurt their team. Playoff hockey is among the most exciting events in sports. Period.