At it again.......Leyton EV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : At it again.......Leyton EV

thekid
05-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Found these while making the rounds today. Vintage Elctrovoice has a well deserved reputation. They cleaned up very well and still have the original badges, grills and inspection stickers on the back. Not sure when these were made but it is possible these are now the oldest speakers I own since they go back as early as 1960 I believe.

Worf101
05-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Ah ma hatin' on you. I can't stand it!!!! Great score you bum!!!!

:devil: :incazzato: :cool:

Worf

thekid
05-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Ah ma hatin' on you. I can't stand it!!!! Great score you bum!!!!

:devil: :incazzato: :cool:

Worf

Hey Bro I will make you feel even better with this pic...... :biggrin5:
My out of pocket cost for the gear in this pic was $114....... :yikes:

frenchmon
05-24-2010, 03:53 PM
What do you do with all the vintage you get? Do you have a shop where you sell it?

poppachubby
05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
kid, do you have any tube gear to hook up to those EV's? Have you found any specs? I am VERY curious as to how they sound. Very nice grab my man!

thekid
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
What do you do with all the vintage you get? Do you have a shop where you sell it?

Frenchmon- No shop, just a guy with an addiction to vintage gear and a little bit of luck coming across some gear and dirt cheap prices. For the most part I have most of what I have picked up. I recently have sold some stuff but most of it is hooked up various places around the house. Currently I have 9 different 2-channel only set-ups in the house and 2 different HT set-ups not counting what is my son's room and the Nikko/Wharfdale 60E set-up in my office.

kid, do you have any tube gear to hook up to those EV's? Have you found any specs? I am VERY curious as to how they sound. Very nice grab my man!

Pops- Unfortunately my travels and scrounging have not landed any tube gear in my lap except for an old H/K tube tuner that needs some work. Someday though I will track some down.....

Spec wise I am still searching. I have found a couple of sites that have some info but I am just not sure if the ones I own are the same version. I found some that seem similar to mine in the 1961 Radio Shack catalog but I don't think these are from the same period. Maybe late 60's but that is just a guess.

Soundwise I can tell you they are excellent! They are in the next room playing some Mozart and the strings just sing and the bass is very smooth, controlled and full. I don't think these are rockers but I think they will do classical, accoustic and jazz with the best of them. You will just need to come visit me here at the Beach and listen to them yourself... :yesnod: I am thinking of staining the Klipsch Heresy's the same color as these and then pairing them up once I scrape up the money to get the Klipsch up and running.

Here is a pic of their rather unique X-over. I am sure they could benefit from a recap but I have no idea how that would be done on something like this. Judge by the way the screws were set in the back I don't think anyone has ever been in these and if they were it was a long time ago.

dakatabg
05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
I am hunting for a pair of EV speakers but I don't see the people selling them on craigslist and even if one does, they ask crazy money for them!
Nice Score!

thekid
05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Here is a link that has some info.....

http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Speakers/DIY%20Manuals/Leyton%20Manual.pdf

poppachubby
05-25-2010, 02:43 AM
Do they seem pretty efficient? I heard some DIY EV's on tubes and was blown away. I guess I am wondering how your speakers would sound in MY room. God knows you don't need them.

I feel like I would be doing your wife AND therapist a favour if I were to take them off your hands. Haha. That reminds me, I saw that show "Hoarders" and was reminded of you. You are one of those tricky ones who makes it look nice and neat.

All in fun kid. I think you'd be the first one here to put his hand up and say "My name is the kid, and I'm and audioholic".

thekid
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Pops

They do seem very efficient and from what I read I think their max power is like 70 watts so I think that is an indication.

As for the WAF issue I picked up on our anniversary and so I told my wife that was my present since she had not picked anything up.

I readily admit to my "hoarding" nature but I like to think of it as running a "rescue home" for stray vintage gear.......