Do you have a favorite Dylan song? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a favorite Dylan song?

Swish
05-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I was listening to Blonde on Blonde last night and, while it has more than a few great songs, the one that really does it for me is 'Visions of Johanna'. Perhaps because it's not so obvious like his songs that get/got all the radio play? Is it the incredible lyrics? The perfectly composed melody? It's all those things, and I really can't think of another Dylan song that can match it, although so many others come close.

In the empty lot where the ladies play blind man's bluff with the key chain
And the all-night girls they whisper of escapades out on the D-train
We can hear the night watchman click his flashlight
Ask himself if it's him or them that's really insane
Louise she's all right she's just near
She's delicate and seems like the mirror
But she just makes it all too concise and too clear
That Johanna's not here
The ghost of electricity howls in the bones of her face
Where these visions of Johanna have now taken my place.

How about you?

Slosh
05-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Simple Twist of Fate, but I like Jeff Tweedy's cover of it better. :D

Swish
05-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Simple Twist of Fate, but I like Jeff Tweedy's cover of it better. :D

...even if someone else is covering it. That's another 'not so obvious' choice, and a good one.

Jack in Wilmington
05-23-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm with Slosh. I like Dylan when he's not doing the singing. I guess it's a acquired taste, like Springsteen or Willie Nelson.

RoyY51
05-23-2010, 05:19 PM
Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'", both the Dylan and the PP&M version. If ever there was a song that keeps getting more relevant...

Swish
05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm with Slosh. I like Dylan when he's not doing the singing. I guess it's a acquired taste, like Springsteen or Willie Nelson.

...he is an icon in the world of music, and among the greatest ever. Perhaps just a step behind the Beatles, but certainly on par with the Stones, the Who, Hendrix...yeah, he's that good, and remains a great songwriter even at this stage of his life. I can't figure out how he remains relevant when so many others just fade away.

thekid
05-23-2010, 08:53 PM
I am going to say "All Along the Watchtower" because when my son and I went and saw him in concert last year and he broke into that song while we were only about 20 feet from the stage the look on my son's face was priceless.

Stone
05-24-2010, 04:09 AM
Most days probably "Idiot Wind" but there are so many that could be my favorite on any given day.

tentoze
05-24-2010, 04:52 AM
Most days probably "Idiot Wind" but there are so many that could be my favorite on any given day.

This is obviously the correct answer. Having said that, I was scanning the memory banks, and went pretty much straight to Mr. Tambourine Man. Now, the reaction to this choice may very well be, "Been covered by a bazillion people, and it's been pretty much absorbed into the modern cultural landscape." In response to that position:

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
Let me forget about today until tomorrow

To me, that verse captures the pure, crystalline joy of youth as well as anything ever written. Of course, tomorrow, my favorite will probably be Up To Me.

Feanor
05-24-2010, 05:35 AM
My favorite Dylan? Depends on my mood but it's often it's Positively 4th Street.
http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/positively-4th-street

Oh, the angst!! My favorite verse ...
You see me on the street
You always act surprised
You say, “How are you?” “Good luck”
But you don’t mean it

When you know as well as me
You’d rather see me paralyzed
Why don’t you just come out once
And scream it.

I've known a lot of people like that. :frown5:

Mr MidFi
05-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Impossible to say, of course. But if you put a gun to my head, I'd probably come up with a fairly obvious pick: "Tangled Up in Blue". There's just so much to love about that song. It's an excellent melody, a remarkably honest and personal lyric, and he delivers it with a whistful, regretful tone that never lapses into cheap nostalgia or sentimentality.

Hmmm... This thread is in danger of becoming a Blood on the Tracks admiration society (and we haven't even mentioned "Lily, Rosemary & the Jack of Hearts"). So forget everything I just said and let's go with "Tombstone Blues" instead.

poppachubby
05-24-2010, 06:03 AM
The better question is which song is your favorite, AND from which period? If ever there was a musical chameleon, it was Dylan. Long before Mr. Bowie. To that I say,

Maggie's Farm
Just Like a Woman
I'll be Your Baby Tonight
Tangled Up in Blue
Hurricane
Jokerman

To those who "don't get it". Dylan represents everything right about music. Pure melody and soul combine to DEFEAT his otherwise questionable singing ability. In short, it just works. There's not many artists out today who's music grabs me like Dylan's does.

Mr MidFi
05-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Oh yeah, Jokerman. Another excellent choice.

Swish
05-24-2010, 07:18 AM
The better question is which song is your favorite, AND from which period? If ever there was a musical chameleon, it was Dylan. Long before Mr. Bowie. To that I say,

Maggie's Farm
Just Like a Woman
I'll be Your Baby Tonight
Tangled Up in Blue
Hurricane
Jokerman

To those who "don't get it". Dylan represents everything right about music. Pure melody and soul combine to DEFEAT his otherwise questionable singing ability. In short, it just works. There's not many artists out today who's music grabs me like Dylan's does.

Some of us, me included, like so many of his songs that it's downright difficult to choose a favorite. I just think my choice is slightly better than about 30 others that I like nearly as much. It's like naming your favorite record. That I cannot do, no matter how hard I try. I can compile a top 25, or maybe 50.

As for his signing, on Visions of Johanna, and others like 'Lay Lady Lay', his voice is much more subdued and smooth, lacking his trademark modulation like you'd hear on most of his 'hits'. That's another reason it's my favorite Dylan song.

So many who don't like his voice would also deny his importance, but they would be remiss. His music will be played long after he departs this world.

poppachubby
05-24-2010, 07:28 AM
No I think we agree on this. I was basically trying to say that it's impossible to pick a fave, as stylistically there's so much to choose from. His period with The Band is my favorite, Robbie Robertson being another of my faves. As a Canadian I value his contribution, which is WAY underrated.

I can't help but think that on those few tracks such a Lay Lady Lay he was "putting on" a different voice. Steven Tyler did this on the first Aerosmith album. It happens to alot of singers.

As far as not recognizing his importance, that's laughable. Love him or hate him, only a fool would deny his significance to modern music. He influenced just about every important artist including the middle finger bearing Johnny Cash who was a HUGE fan. The Beatles would not have had the lyrical licence were it not for Dylan to etch out a path. His timing and melody were simply never heard before.

poppachubby
05-24-2010, 07:31 AM
Oh yeah, Jokerman. Another excellent choice.

"Distant ships sailin into the mist,
you were born with a snake in both of your fists,
while a hurricane was blowin."

....amazing everytime I hear it. A true poet in every sense of it.

3LB
05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
no

---

dean_martin
05-24-2010, 08:02 AM
"Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues" and "Leopard-skin Pill-box Hat" from the Bootleg Series #4 (a/k/a the Royal Albert Hall concert) make a great 1-2 punch. Classic rock-n-roll feel a'la the Rolling Stones.

Desolation Row
Subterranean Homesick Blues
Simple Twist of Fate as Slosh said mainly because I can play and sing a crude version of it. It will probably be on my covers album in stores soon.

Luvin Da Blues
05-24-2010, 08:40 AM
.... A true poet in every sense of it.

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I’m younger than that now

poppachubby
05-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Leopard Skin Pill Box Hat...oh man that's a real great one Dean.

MasterCylinder
05-24-2010, 09:31 AM
My favorite Dylan? Depends on my mood but it's often it's Positively 4th Street.[INDENT][URL="http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/positively-4th-street"]http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/positively-4th-street

+ 1

Great song.............and even though now an old recording, still a great recording.

MindGoneHaywire
05-24-2010, 10:46 AM
today it's

The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

Swish
05-24-2010, 01:40 PM
today it's

The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll

...eventually. Great song too from his third record I believe. Yeah, The Times They Are A-Changing. How are you J?

Jack in Wilmington
05-24-2010, 05:26 PM
You may feel that he is an Icon. But today is his birthday and the guys on WMMR were making fun of the way he sings. They all agreed, as I do, that he is a great songwriter. But if he was truly in the same league with The Who and Hendrix, I don't feel they should be making fun of his singing.

Smokey
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Dylan like Neil Young choose artistery over commercial success, so you got some that love him and some that hate his work.

Personally, I love his later works as it was more accessible and main stream. My favorite song of his probably is Changing Of The Guards from Street Legal album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J8MSS0Y4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

poppachubby
05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
You may feel that he is an Icon. But today is his birthday and the guys on WMMR were making fun of the way he sings. They all agreed, as I do, that he is a great songwriter. But if he was truly in the same league with The Who and Hendrix, I don't feel they should be making fun of his singing.

Radio lackies will do anything for a "laugh". When Pavorotti passed, the local rock station were making fun of him. I was disgusted and that was the last time I listened to anything other than CBC on the radio. Who do these losers think they are? I'll tell you who. They are the guys who couldn't make it themselves, or never tried to.

02audionoob
05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't have a favorite individual song. As Nick said in The Big Chill, sometimes you just have to let art flow over you.

Jack in Wilmington
05-25-2010, 02:17 AM
Radio lackies will do anything for a "laugh". When Pavorotti passed, the local rock station were making fun of him. I was disgusted and that was the last time I listened to anything other than CBC on the radio. Who do these losers think they are? I'll tell you who. They are the guys who couldn't make it themselves, or never tried to.

It wasn't as if they didn't like him. They talked about seeing him numorous times, though they did say his shows were hit or miss. Sometimes he acted like he didn't care.

Swish
05-25-2010, 02:56 AM

Why would I care that they laughed at his voice? They are certainly not the bell-weather in my musical world and their names are probably known by only those care to listen to them. Dylan has remained prolific and relative for 5 decades, while the Who haven't done anything remotely decent since the 1970s and Hendrix has been dead 40 years. If you and other 'classic rock' lovers want to live in the past, that's fine, but there's so much more going on in rock. I get nostalgic for Who's Next and Band of Gypsies, but not very often and it's started to sound...dated.

Sorry Jack, but the WMMR thing means absolutely nothing and Dylan's place in music history, despite his unusual voice, is solidified. He has very few peers and I stand by my statements.

poppachubby
05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Why would I care that they laughed at his voice? They are certainly not the bell-weather in my musical world and their names are probably known by only those care to listen to them. Dylan has remained prolific and relative for 5 decades, while the Who haven't done anything remotely decent since the 1970s and Hendrix has been dead 40 years. If you and other 'classic rock' lovers want to live in the past, that's fine, but there's so much more going on in rock. I get nostalgic for Who's Next and Band of Gypsies, but not very often and it's started to sound...dated.

Sorry Jack, but the WMMR thing means absolutely nothing and Dylan's place in music history, despite his unusual voice, is solidified. He has very few peers and I stand by my statements.

+1 Agreed

Jack in Wilmington
05-25-2010, 01:37 PM

It was Preston and Steve, not that it really matters. I am a classic rock lover, I will admit. To me that was when music was a big part of peoples lives. It was affordable to go see a concert. Not like the prices that they charge these days. Roger Waters is coming to the Wachovia Center and tickets are $160. That's highway robbery. That's why I like classic rock. Just think, Hendrix has been dead for 40 years and his last album sold more than anything that Dylan has released lately.

At least there is one thing we can agree on............................... GO FLYERS

thekid
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Dylan like Neil Young choose artistery over commercial success, so you got some that love him and some that hate his work.

Personally, I love his later works as it was more accessible and main stream. My favorite song of his probably is Changing Of The Guards from Street Legal album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51J8MSS0Y4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Picked up a vinyl copy of "Street Legal" for 30 cents this weekend......... :yesnod:

Smokey
05-25-2010, 05:31 PM
Picked up a vinyl copy of "Street Legal" for 30 cents this weekend......... :yesnod:

As Worf would say, "You philistine!" :D

Swish
05-25-2010, 06:29 PM
It was Preston and Steve, not that it really matters. I am a classic rock lover, I will admit. To me that was when music was a big part of peoples lives. It was affordable to go see a concert. Not like the prices that they charge these days. Roger Waters is coming to the Wachovia Center and tickets are $160. That's highway robbery. That's why I like classic rock. Just think, Hendrix has been dead for 40 years and his last album sold more than anything that Dylan has released lately.

At least there is one thing we can agree on............................... GO FLYERS

...it won't work. You are basically saying that dozens of others are 'better' than Hendrix. Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Whitney fuc*ing Houston, Meat fuc*ing Loaf, The Eagles, God forbid..the Backstreet Boys, the Bee Gees, Fleetwood Mac, Shania Twain, Led Zep, Alanis Morrisette, Celine fuc*ing Dion, Dire Straits, Abba (!), Bon Jovi(ugh), Iron Butterfly, Santana, Queen, U2, Linkin fuc*ing Park, Ace of fu*king Bass, Carole King, Oasis, Dido, Madonna, Billy Ray fu*king Cyrus, Bob Marley, Britney Spears, Cher, George Michael, Janet Jackson, Norah Jones, Prince, the Spice Girls (yikes!), Tina Turner, and even USHER, have all had bigger selling records than any from Jimi Hendrix.

My point is that talent isn't necessarily a popularity contest, and many of the top selling records simply catered to the masses who have no taste. Not all, but many. How could you explain Ace of Bass? Seriously! They were gad awful, yet they had a bigger selling record than Hendrix...and Dylan too.

Stone
05-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Bob Marley and Prince are better than Hendrix, from a listening enjoyment standpoint.

Swish
05-26-2010, 04:41 AM
Bob Marley and Prince are better than Hendrix, from a listening enjoyment standpoint.

Jack was equating talent with record sales, or something along those lines. I was merely pointing out all the artists who had better selling records than Hendrix. There were certainly a few that I prefer over Hendrix, but many who are rather pathetic...as I pointed out.

Jack in Wilmington
05-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Jack was equating talent with record sales, or something along those lines. I was merely pointing out all the artists who had better selling records than Hendrix. There were certainly a few that I prefer over Hendrix, but many who are rather pathetic...as I pointed out.

I understand where you're coming from. There is no accounting for taste. I realize that a lot of people with marginal talent have sold a lot of records. But these artists are in the business of selling records, aren't they? I doubt that a record label is going to keep someone under contract just because they have talent.

And Stone, Bob Marley and Prince aren't in the same league as Hendrix. Sorry

Swish
05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Bob Marley and Prince aren't in the same league as Hendrix. Sorry

...Bob Marley and Prince are in a different genre than Hendrix, so you can't really compare them. I would say Marley was the greatest reggae artist of all time, but saying he's 'better than Hendrix' is only an opinion. I disagree with you and Stone, and stand by my opinion that Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters to walk the planet, and millions of others agree. I liked Hendrix too, but 40 years is a long time and the music starts to wear thin and sound dated, like most classic rock. It's fine if you like it, but there's so much more out there to explore that I don't care to revisit the stuff I listened to when I was a kid, at least not very often.

Stone
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Yeah, I got the point, but I was just stating that those two (at least) in that list I prefer over Hendrix, so they actually weighed against your point. Sorry, just the lawyer coming out in me.

And I agree that record sales doesn't always equate to talent (or enjoyability).

Stone
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
...and stand by my opinion that Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters to walk the planet, and millions of others agree.

I don't disagree with this.

Jack in Wilmington
05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
...Bob Marley and Prince are in a different genre than Hendrix, so you can't really compare them. I would say Marley was the greatest reggae artist of all time, but saying he's 'better than Hendrix' is only an opinion. I disagree with you and Stone, and stand by my opinion that Bob Dylan is one of the greatest singer/songwriters to walk the planet, and millions of others agree. I liked Hendrix too, but 40 years is a long time and the music starts to wear thin and sound dated, like most classic rock. It's fine if you like it, but there's so much more out there to explore that I don't care to revisit the stuff I listened to when I was a kid, at least not very often.

Songwriter, I'll agree with. I've tried some of the new stuff and it just isn't the same. Same way with Jazz and Classical. Most of the great ones are long gone. I've seen BB King and Buddy Guy in the last couple years and though still good, they've slowed down. My friend who is a massage therapist was giving Buddy some hand massages in between sets. The guys at work try to get me into some of the groups that they are into. When I read a record review in one of my stereo mags, I go home and listen to see what all the fuss is about. Most of the time it just doesn't do it for me.

luvtolisten
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM
'I Threw it All Away"
"Stuck inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again"
"Joey"
"Black Diamond Bay"

But please, PLEASE, don't let him do anymore Christmas songs!!!!