Can you name some Kenwood Cassette Decks that were Top Of The Line Models [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you name some Kenwood Cassette Decks that were Top Of The Line Models

VintageTurntable
05-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Both dual & Single I'll start.
KX-W6020,KX-W8020

JohnMichael
05-23-2010, 06:37 AM
When I think if top of the line cassette decks I think of Nakamichi. I also remember a JVC that was rather advanced for it's time. One of my personal favorites was the Advent cassette deck. Very well built with features that were new to cassette recording. The cassette was originally developed for dictation work but a few audio companies were able to raise the performance. Of course it was never equal to vinyl or reel to reel. Wow talk about a dead format.

VintageTurntable
05-23-2010, 06:45 AM
Naks are top of the line for sure Wish I had one.

poppachubby
05-23-2010, 06:51 AM
JoeESP9 got a TEAC that was supposedly the best, about $1K back in the day.

02audionoob
05-23-2010, 07:51 AM
If I were going to look for a Kenwood, tops on the list might be the KX-2060 (http://www.vintagecassette.com/Kenwood/KX-2060). However, Kenwood is probably behind at least 5 others...like the above mentioned Nakamichi and TEAC...plus Sony, Akai, Yamaha...

VintageTurntable
05-23-2010, 07:58 AM
I have a KX-W6020 which was a Top of The Line model along with the KX-W8020. Teacs are awesome.

thekid
05-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I have a Kenwood KX-W891 sitting on the sidelines and as much as I love and own Kenwood gear they are not what I would be looking for when it comes to tape decks. I love my Nak deck (hopefully I will be able to say decks once I get the RX-202 up and running) and owned a 3-head Teac deck that sounded great and took alot of abuse during my college years.

VintageTurntable
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Well I wouldn't classify myself as an Audiophile but I do appreciate good sound. As along as a Cassette Deck is name brand not something cheap like Electrophonic, or Soundesign that is all that matters to me. I got Kenwood Cassette Decks that are made out of Metal or Alluminum & they are not flimsy & sound Awesome & their feature packed. Weather a Cassette Deck has 2 or 3 heads it doesn't matter to me they both sound awesome even with recording.

JoeE SP9
05-23-2010, 11:12 AM
With a two head cassette decks there is a major compromise involved. The operating characteristics are different for record and play heads. When a combination record play head is used there is an electronic compromise.
It is widely accepted that in general Nakamichi decks are the best. That's not to say there aren't very good decks from other manufacturers. I recently picked up a Teac V-7010 for $100 (original list $1000). It's in NM condition with pinch rollers that look new. It compares very favorably with both of my Naks.

As a rule of thumb a three head deck is superior to a two head all other things being equal.

I wouldn't touch a dual well cassette deck with a ten foot pole.

VintageTurntable
05-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Dual well Cassette Decks are good to.

JoeE SP9
05-23-2010, 08:14 PM
There are no good dual well cassette decks. They are even more of a compromise than 2 head decks. AFAIK there are no dual well decks with three heads. As I posted earlier 2 head decks are a compromise because one head has to do double duty as a record and play head. The physical and electrical requirements are different for each head so a single record/play head is a compromise by definition.

The quote below is from Wikipedia

While a head is reversible in principle, and very often in practice, there are desirable characteristics that differ between the playback and recording phases. One of these is the impedance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_impedance) of the coil - playback preferring a high impedance, and recording a low one. In the very best tape recorders, separate heads are used to avoid compromising these desirable characteristics. Having separate heads for recording and playback has other advantages, such as off-tape monitoring during recording, etc.

thekid
05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
it doesn't matter to me they both sound awesome even with recording.

VT- In the end if you are happy with it then that is all that matters. Your original post indicated to some us that you were seeking opinions on getting a Kenwood deck and so the responses were geared that way. If you begin to collect vintage gear just keep in mind some of the info you were given here and if the opportunity to obtain some of the other decks mentioned for not too much comes along take advantage of it and make your own judgment.