RS6 Modifications [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Modifications

atomicAdam
05-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Just a crazy thought, anyone know, maybe I should asking the DYI forums, but wondering if I can replace the tweeter in my RS6 speakers w/ something more detailed.

jrhymeammo
05-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to swap the pair of stock tweet, but you will most likely need to make changes to crossover values and baffle cutouts.

Why do you want to swap the OEM tweets?

JohnMichael
05-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Do you mean airier or some other adjective? I think it is pretty detailed. You might want to consider a tweeter from the gold line. Oh and before you change anything make sure the screws holding the drivers to the baffle are tight. Due to vibrations drivers do loosen. I always notice an increase in detail after I snug the drivers to the baffles. Get out your Torx drivers. Oh and this is free.

Ajani
05-22-2010, 06:03 PM
I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to replace the tweeter. Just keep in mind the crossover and baffle changes that JRH referred to.

However, I'm sure you already know but, you should realize that you may not like the results of the modification and you may be unable to reverse the changes you made (especially if you cut the baffle). Also, you may have a very hard time if you decide to sell the the speakers after the modification.

poppachubby
05-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Just sell them Adam and move on.

basite
05-23-2010, 01:14 AM
you can

but
and there is a serious "but" here, it's not just the tweeter, the crossover is specifically built to make every driver in the speaker do what it' supposed to do, where it starts to play, how loud it will play then given a certain input, and where it is supposed to stop playing. Replacing a driver, and especially something as sensitive as a tweeter, with another driver, that isn't the same, can alter these specs. You might have a gap in your frequencies, you can have the drivers overlapping, sensitivity mismatching, ...

DO NOT do it without studying all these things, and make all the adjustments necessary before replacing a driver. It'll work, but you might end up hating the sound. you'll mess up the speaker.

Also, a serious point against DIY'ing on commercial speakers: if the mod is irreversible, which can be the case, if you insert a different tweeter, you might have to enlarge the original hole in the cabinet, or even different screw positions, which can be seen afterwards, the speaker will lose ALL market value, and when still available, warranty. Also, do not expect much support from the brand if you got a problem with them whatsoever.

IMHO, if you want your RS6's to sound better, there is only one way to do it properly: sell them, and find different speakers.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
05-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Or... swap the stock crossover components for higher quality stuff? For my part I wouldn't touch the tweeter in a million years

JohnMichael
05-23-2010, 07:11 AM
I think the safest option might be trying the dual chamber tweeter developed for the RX6.

Ajani
05-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Just sell them Adam and move on.

Yep... That's my opinion as well... The only time I'd recommend doing a wild mod on a product is if it is so cheap that selling it is a waste of time or you really just can't get it sold... If you were talking about a cheap old pair of speakers like my Technics, then I'd say mod away... But, you should be able to get a bit of useful cash from selling the RS6...

frenchmon
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Just a crazy thought, anyone know, maybe I should asking the DYI forums, but wondering if I can replace the tweeter in my RS6 speakers w/ something more detailed.

What do you mean by more detailed in your tweeter? Do you mean the tweeter is rolled off? Or is the higher detailed rolled off? First time I've heard any one say anything about the tweeters in MA Rs6. Do you think your cables or lack of room acoustics have anything to do with the detail you are missing? I just think that is kinda of odd for RS6. JohnMichael seems to like his pretty much as others as well. I've heard others say they where bright but not lack detail. Do you suppose there is a defect in the speakers themselves? It would be odd the the RS6 would lack detail.

frenchmon

atomicAdam
05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
hey folks - thanks for the feedback

when i say detailed - maybe it would be better to say 'higher end'.

I am just wondering if there is a cheaper way of up grading my speakers.

frenchmon
05-23-2010, 01:14 PM
AA...what type of sound do you like? Perhaps the Monitor Audio is not what you want. The best way to upgrade would be to move up the MA line, but if you don't like what they can do, then perhaps a change in speaker will do. But its best to know what sound characteristics you like. Have you put your speakers on Audiogon yet? You maybe able to get a decent payoff on them, but you are taking a risk if you change the drivers and crossovers in them.

frenchmon

jrhymeammo
05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I am just wondering if there is a cheaper way of up grading my speakers.

Changing speakers alone may not cure what you are looking for.
Have you consider the synergy of your entire system?

My latest thought is that speakers are not as important as alot of us preach.
Having a great chain of gear from a source to the end of speaker cables are more important than a pair of high end speakers. Music thru cheap speakers will sound exceptional in a great system, while expectional speakers will suffer in a poor system.

Maybe I got off the subject a little...

Have Fun,
JRA

JohnMichael
05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Changing speakers alone may not cure what you are looking for.
Have you consider the synergy of your entire system?

My latest thought is that speakers are not as important as alot of us preach.
Having a great chain of gear from a source to the end of speaker cables are more important than a pair of high end speakers. Music thru cheap speakers will sound exceptional in a great system, while expectional speakers will suffer in a poor system.

Maybe I got off the subject a little...

Have Fun,
JRA

Are you becoming a Linnie? Source first, then amps and speakers last. I agree with your thoughts about speakers. The grip and control the Krell integrated amp has over my speakers has improved the sound of the Mo Fi's and makes the MA RS6's sing. That is why I wondered about lack of detail. Once again because the drivers are vibrating to create sound the vibrations loosen the mounting screws. When I start to hear a loss of resolution the tools come out and I snug the drivers to the cabinets. True a very expensive speaker like a Magico is designed so that will not happen but any reasonably priced dynamic driver speaker could benefit from having the drivers snugged once in a while.