Turntable and phono preamp white noise [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Turntable and phono preamp white noise

ctctc
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
The other day I dusted off and setup my JVC L-A31 turntable that I purchased in approximately 1981, plugged it into my Creek phono preamp OB H-18 MM that I purchased in the mid to late 90s, and plugged it all into a JoLida JX10 integrated tube amplifier [on loan to me].

Once a record was loaded, the turntable was spinning with the needle hovering above the record [i.e. not playing], the phono preamp turned on, and the JX10 turned on I could hear a constant, although somewhat discrete, "white noise" out of my speakers. When I selected another source, the noise disappeared. When I switched it back to the turntable it returned. I plugged my turntable into a different input on the back of the amp and the noise followed it. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

poppachubby
05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
If you turn the volume all the way down, is it still there? Chances are it's noise from your TT. I would suggest cleaning it with contact cleaner, including the cables.

02audionoob
05-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I would also wonder if it's the phono preamp.

poppachubby
05-22-2010, 08:26 PM
I would also wonder if it's the phono preamp.

How so? Remember I have one of those, dead quiet. Quite a few buttons on his TT.

02audionoob
05-22-2010, 08:37 PM
How so? Remember I have one of those, dead quiet. Quite a few buttons on his TT.

Maybe something wrong with it.

poppachubby
05-22-2010, 08:40 PM
Aha, yes perhaps. Actually many variables but I think after sitting so long the TT is the best start and then come through the chain.

02audionoob
05-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Aha, yes perhaps. Actually many variables but I think after sitting so long the TT is the best start and then come through the chain.

Perhaps, but the phono preamp has been sitting, too, and although I'm no expert I'd bet there are as many or more noisemaker candidates in the preamp as the turntable. The phono stage of my Adcom GFP-565 made enough noise to be heard from probably at least 5 feet away, but it I wondered if maybe it was quieter in its younger days. Just speculating, though.

ctctc
05-27-2010, 05:36 AM
If you turn the volume all the way down, is it still there?

No.

Chances are it's noise from your TT. I would suggest cleaning it with contact cleaner, including the cables.

Prior to hooking it all up I cleaned all of the RCA connectors on both devices with deoxit. I you suggesting that I open up the turntable and do the same with any switches I find on the inside?

ctctc
05-27-2010, 05:39 AM
Perhaps, but the phono preamp has been sitting, too, and although I'm no expert I'd bet there are as many or more noisemaker candidates in the preamp as the turntable.

Is there anything that can be cleaned on the interior of the phono preamp?

poppachubby
05-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Prior to hooking it all up I cleaned all of the RCA connectors on both devices with deoxit. I you suggesting that I open up the turntable and do the same with any switches I find on the inside?

Yes sir. If your table has speed control in the form of a dial or knob, it should also contain a couple of pots on the motor control board. These act like a master control and should be cleaned thoroughly. This will help your table's speed stability.

Is there anything that can be cleaned on the interior of the phono preamp?

No. Just interior access to the power switch, which by the way, you should leave on at all times.

Try another test. Unplug the TT from the preamp and see if the noise is there. Make sure you clean all 8 litz connectors and the headshell's connection also.

ctctc
05-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Yes sir. If your table has speed control in the form of a dial or knob, it should also contain a couple of pots on the motor control board. These act like a master control and should be cleaned thoroughly. This will help your table's speed stability.

yes it has thanks!

The noise level has diminished significantly and now is only slightly audible within the last 10% highest volume settings of the amp.

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 10:13 AM
yes it has thanks!

The noise level has diminished significantly and now is only slightly audible within the last 10% highest volume settings of the amp.

It's probably best not to turn it up quite that high, anyway.

ctctc
05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
It's probably best not to turn it up quite that high, anyway.

Indeed, and it would be much too loud at those settings. I only turned it up that high without the needle on the record just to hear what background noise the system is adding.

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Indeed, and it would be much too loud at those settings. I only turned it up that high without the needle on the record just to hear what background noise the system is adding.

I didn't see anything on that amp on the web. Just out of curiosity, what is its power rating?

ctctc
05-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I didn't see anything on that amp on the web. Just out of curiosity, what is its power rating?

http://www.jolida.com/index.php?p=products&category=5&model=31

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 01:29 PM
http://www.jolida.com/index.php?p=products&category=5&model=31

I thought maybe that's the one you meant. Your original post says "JX" when this model is "FX".

ctctc
05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I thought maybe that's the one you meant. Your original post says "JX" when this model is "FX".

FX10 it is. Good eye!

02audionoob
05-30-2010, 04:33 PM
How do you like the amp? It looks like it could be nice.

poppachubby
05-31-2010, 02:30 AM
yes it has thanks!

So are you saying the problem was in the speed pots?

ctctc
06-01-2010, 04:50 AM
How do you like the amp? It looks like it could be nice.

Indeed it looks beautiful. Compared to the Sony STR-DG 820, the FX 10 produces distinct highs, strong lows and has a certain warmth. In spite of it being a low wattage amp it can power my vintage Marantz speakers to volumes beyond my listening comfort level.

I plan on comparing it to other integrated amps in its price range.

ctctc
06-01-2010, 04:56 AM
So are you saying the problem was in the speed pots?

Applying Deoxit to the speed pots certainly seems to have corrected the wavering speed of the platen. Thanks for your suggestion.

Perhaps the white noise has diminished due to the cleaning of other connectors and actually spinning a number of records for the first time in years. I don't know enough about the electronics of turntables and phono preamp's to know for sure if they "warm up" to use.