Nerdin' Out [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nerdin' Out

jonnyhambone
05-21-2010, 07:03 PM
kinda slow 'round here - this forum and at my house - so I'm working on entering all my albums onto an online database. I found this site which alphabetizes/organizes everything as you enter it and I've been moving my record shelves, reorganizing our house, and ended up using my RecordNerd list to help me re-shelve it all. I wish the site had a bit more flexibility, like maybe allowing links or enabling album art to be included.
Anyhoo, these are most of my lp's and some cassettes...haven't delved into cataloging the cd's yet and probably won't...

Jonnyhambone's RecordNerd (http://www.recordnerd.com/lists/jonnyhambone)

Rae
05-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey, I'd never seen yr blog before (there was a link when I clicked on yr RecordNerd page). Looks pretty great.

~Rae

Stone
05-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Hey, I'd never seen yr blog before (there was a link when I clicked on yr RecordNerd page). Looks pretty great.

~Rae

Wow, I looked at the page and didn't even notice the blog link. Good stuff. I especially like the "On hearing Double Nickles on the Dime for the first time ever" caption.

A few years back I was looking for a way to catalog my collection. I decided against an online web database, because despite being free, I was concerned about how long any given database site will be around. So instead I paid $25 for OrangeCD (http://www.firetongue.com/cd-database.html), which I think is pretty good. I can view the information I want in a table and sort it in various ways. It's a decent program if you're willing to shell out some cash for it.

And no, I have no affiliation with OrangeCD in any way.

Rae
05-25-2010, 09:05 AM
And no, I have no affiliation with OrangeCD in any way.

Nice try, but it's fairly transparent that yr decade of regularly posting on this forum has been but a flimsy pretense for this "casual" recommendation...

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what advantage do these programs hold over, say, a Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice spreadsheet?

~Rae

Stone
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Nice try, but it's fairly transparent that yr decade of regularly posting on this forum has been but a flimsy pretense for this "casual" recommendation...

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what advantage do these programs hold over, say, a Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice spreadsheet?

~Rae

OrangeCD uses FreeDB or CDDB to automatically retrieve the information for CDs and other digital sources. Therefore, I put a CD in the drive, hit a button, and voila, all the tracks, cover art, year of release, etc. are in the database. For vinyl and cassettes (yes, some of us still have cassettes), there really is no advantage as everything is input manually.

Plus, for a luddite like me, it makes it much easier to sort, view and search the database than using a generic spreadsheet program.

-- Mr. Orange

Rae
05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
That makes sense. I guess I just have such a low ratio of CDs to vinyl at this point that it wouldn't be much of a timesaver for me.

~Rae

jonnyhambone
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
^ me too. I pick up more vinyl by far and haven't felt an urge to catalog cds. I like the online database option (RecordNerd.com or others I'm sure are out there..) because I can share the link, access the info. (like, if I'm at a record show at the VFW or whatever), and it's pre-formatted for ez data entry and alphabetizing. With my vinyl, I have the urge to nerd out with it - first pressing, signed by the band, silk-screened sleeve, etc. Generic cds don't inspire this minutae of attention.
Thanks for checking out my blog...I haven't done much since baby came on the scene but maybe I'll get back into it now.