Plug for DeOxit!? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plug for DeOxit!?

Enochrome
05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
So awhile a back I had an Ortofon OM20 had it's right channel go out. Which, incidentally, drove me
mad pinpointing the problem (which I heard is really rare for a cartridge). So I then bought a Grado Blue, which I have sung it's praises (3.9 praises). Well, I recently started hearing records distorting with the Grado (grrr, why are they so finicky!!!) I hear you guys on some of the reluctancy with Grados.

So i thought of taking the Grado to the dealer (Brooks Brendan) w/ table. I took out my back up Dual 505-3 and thought why not try the OM20 again. I had bought some Deoxit for restoring an old receiver and heard that it had done some miraculous things from the Deoxit reveiws I read ( touring sound guy endorsements :)

Gave it a spritz, and sh*t!!!!!! :yikes: , it worked!!!!!!!

How can this be?!?!?! Well, this is weird. Is this some weird temporary glitch ??? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Well, my OM20 kicks ass. I have to admit, I like it better than my Grado; not as deep, but wider soundstage and so much more lively, while just as revealing (not to mention tighter bass).

Analog gear is too weird, it's as if it runs on electricity and voodoo magic.

Enochrome
05-21-2010, 04:59 PM
By the way, the clock on this forum right now says 12:54 am, but it is 5:54pm in Los Angeles here. Is this forum hosted in Iceland? or some place close to it? a seven hour time difference would put it somewhere just before Europe (England has a 9 hour time difference for me).

Just curious.

Luvin Da Blues
05-21-2010, 05:11 PM
By the way, the clock on this forum right now says 12:54 am, but it is 5:54pm in Los Angeles here. Is this forum hosted in Iceland? or some place close to it? a seven hour time difference would put it somewhere just before Europe (England has a 9 hour time difference for me).

Just curious.

Firstly, go to "User CP" then "Edit Options" to set the time to your local time zone.

Secondly, while Deoxit is a good product, it is not the only good contact cleaner/conditioner on the market. Many are quite a bit cheaper to.

poppachubby
05-22-2010, 05:15 AM
Glad it worked for you Eno. I ended up sending my OMB-10 to another member. I've never heard of anyone spraying contact cleaner on a cart, but hey why not? I use an industrial contact cleaner, but had great success bringing my Pioneer's speed stability back to life with it.

I have a Grado DJ100 and while I have no hum issues, I don't enjoy it's output. Not fully anyhow. Very narrow and has issues with detail. It does however have great tone.

Jim Eck
05-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Removeable headshells especially can cause issues, it is adviseable to clean them periodiacally. I clean the connections between the headshell and the arm, the 8 connections at the wires connecting the cartridge to the headshell as well as the connection at the stylus on removeable stylus cartridges.

It is a good practice to also clean your connections to your preamp or receiver.

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n43/Virago_1986/?action=view&current=sme1.jpg

Jim