Slightly OT/My son's graduation gift from his stereo loving Dad [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Slightly OT/My son's graduation gift from his stereo loving Dad

Jim Clark
05-21-2010, 05:20 AM
My kids love music. The oldest is a relatively accomplished guitar player and they both spend way too much on CD's and downloads. While they appreciate my various systems they still listen primarily to their Ipods. If that's what I have to work with, I figured why fight it? Since Mason just graduated from high school I got him the coolest IPod dock ever. It's a little company, undoubtedly Chinese, that makes a tubed output IPod dock that actually sounds pretty sweet. Beautifully polished chrome, the glow of tubes, black lacquered speakers, and the lead tube even has a little decibel meter that bounces up and down not unlike Windows media player. Ought to work out quite nicely in his college room this Fall but it wouldn't be the worst office soundsytem in the world. This thing is seriously cool if you need a gift idea for the music loving grad in your life.

Specs are here: http://www.solarahome.com/solarasound/product_solatube.html6929

poppachubby
05-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Looks great! I'm not even your kid and now I love you. They'll be pumped.

ForeverAutumn
05-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Looks great! I'm not even your kid and now I love you.

LMFAO!!!!

That's a seriously cool gift Jim. I don't know about buying it for someone else, but I wouldn't be upset if someone bought it for me. So if any of you are talking to my husband around Christmas time...I'm just saying...

Mr MidFi
05-21-2010, 05:43 AM
That is freakin' sweet, Jim. I want that like a dog wants steak!

Oh, and big props to the boy for graduating!!!

NP: Bowie, "Everyone Says Hi" ... played from my iPod on a decidedly mid-fi Sony office stereo (that my mom gave me as a gift).

Jim Clark
05-21-2010, 06:34 AM
That is freakin' sweet, Jim. I want that like a dog wants steak!

Oh, and big props to the boy for graduating!!!

NP: Bowie, "Everyone Says Hi" ... played from my iPod on a decidedly mid-fi Sony office stereo (that my mom gave me as a gift).

Well, thanks but it is only high school. You have to pretty much expect that : ) I told him if he graduates medical school, we will talk about a real party! BTW, I didn't pay the 599 MSRP. One of my local stereo shops, Sound FX sells them for 399. Not too surprisingly they told me it was their biggest selling item ever. No wonder stereo shops have a hard time staying in business today.

Have a great weekend everyone.

jc

3LB
05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
actually, $400 for that set-up is a good deal

you spoil your kids Jim

fun innit?

Hyfi
05-21-2010, 08:33 AM
I almost wish I owned and listened to an iPod....well almost.

Cool toy, are you gonna start any Tube Rolling?

tentoze
05-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Sweet looking.

Finch Platte
05-21-2010, 11:09 AM
That's cool-looking.

Hope the kid'll be able to bolt it down. :arf:

Luvin Da Blues
05-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Shur does look cool. Does it have any other inputs or is it just an Ipod dock?

rob_a
05-21-2010, 11:32 AM
That’s a sweet set up. My parents never bought me something that cool :frown5:

Slosh
05-22-2010, 04:35 AM
That's pretty cool. Looks like it could use a sub, though.

I gave my daughter a Marantz/Mission set up. Sounds good but she really doesn't have much use for the A/V part so I'm on the lookout for a vintage Sansui integrated to replace the Marantz.

She gave me the CD player back (which is now in my garage) because all of her music is on her laptop/iPod. At least she had the sense to rip everything in lossless.

Jim Clark
05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Shur does look cool. Does it have any other inputs or is it just an Ipod dock?

Not just for Ipod - 2 other inputs for tv, tuner or whatever. Includes an extra set of RCA's, no speaker cable oddly enough. Luckily we of course have miles of speaker cable : )

Jim Clark
05-24-2010, 12:47 PM
That's pretty cool. Looks like it could use a sub, though.

I gave my daughter a Marantz/Mission set up. Sounds good but she really doesn't have much use for the A/V part so I'm on the lookout for a vintage Sansui integrated to replace the Marantz.

She gave me the CD player back (which is now in my garage) because all of her music is on her laptop/iPod. At least she had the sense to rip everything in lossless.

sounds like you at least tried! Like you discovered, the Ipod is king. I have a Marantz 2230 that I wish I thought he'd use, but it's not likely. I've got a Pioneer SX 1250 waiting for the first kid to graduate Medical school : )

jc

thekid
05-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Cute little set- up and it has a remote since they probably would not want to stop texting in order to have to turn a knob........... :D

My son graduates next year and loves music so thanks for the suggestion!