Klipsch rw 12 or Rel strata lll ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch rw 12 or Rel strata lll ?

thaii
05-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Hello everyone, I can buy a klipsch rw 12 or a rel strata lll subwoofer. They cost the same amount of money secondhand.

Which sub do you guys recommend if the price is the same? Both subs in very good condition.

It's for a rather small room, especially for listening music. The sub will assist b&w dm600 s3 or sometimes kef reference 104.2 speakers.

I really don't know..

audio amateur
05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd probably go for the REL just because of the name but I would never buy one at its full MSRP as they are overpriced.

basite
05-20-2010, 12:23 PM
go for the REL, the strata is a pretty high end of the line model in there lineup...

Rel is known for subwoofers, klipsch, well, isn't really...

markw
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Make that three for the Rel.

Mr Peabody
05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
I'd choose the REL. They make very good subs that do great with music. One thing to consider they recommend connection to the speaker outputs of your amp so be sure you get the manual or it's available online. REL's approach is a bit unique. REL also features two inputs, one for stereo and one for home theater with each input having it's own independent gain control. The home theater input is a low level.

thaii
05-21-2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks for all your answers!

I think I will choose REL, I'm not sure because Klipsch has a 12" woofer (REL 10"), so I thought deeper bass tones from the Klipsch?

basite
05-21-2010, 03:12 AM
yeah, but the 10 inch from REL is rocket science compared to the klipsch...

the REL will hit subsonic frequencies, with great precision and punch, the klipsch might have a bigger woofer, and might play slightly louder, but the rel is a far better sub...

thaii
05-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Okay! Thanks everybody!

Bedankt ;)

Mr Peabody
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Just as an example, I have Klipsch Heresy III's with a 12" woofer that are rated to play down to 60Hz or so while I have Dynaudio with 6" drivers that are conservatively rated to
45Hz. So you can't go by driver size alone on how low or how much bass you will get.

thaii
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm still looking for a sub, but I did some research myself:

- I don't want the Klipsch rw12, control of freq range is 40-120, I want to go lower than 40hz, so it's gonna be a rel. Also musical qualities of rel.

- I only buy subs secondhand because of my budget. But it's so confusing, so many models, a comparison is very hard for me, so some older more experienced people maybe could help me out?

rel strata 2 --> 325euro
rel storm 3 --> 500euro
rel t 1 --> 550euro
rel r 205 --> 600euro

I just can't figure out what's a good deal?

95% music, 5% movie

I really need help on this one, thanx!

Mr Peabody
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
The R205 is a series above the T. I'm not sure if the Storm is still current. I'm not real familiarwith REL's lineage but I believe the Storm and Strata were in one of the top series.

http://www.rel.net/index2.htm

thaii
05-27-2010, 03:27 AM
Thanks for your post!

audio amateur
05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
If you're in Europe, I'd take a hard look at BK Elec subwoofers. Apparently they made OEM parts for REL and MJ Acoustics subwoofers. Here is their website:
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers.htm

If you go to AVforums you'll see they have quite a following. Great sub for the buck according to them

Jimmy C
05-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone, I can buy a klipsch rw 12 or a rel strata lll subwoofer. They cost the same amount of money secondhand.

Which sub do you guys recommend if the price is the same? Both subs in very good condition.

It's for a rather small room, especially for listening music. The sub will assist b&w dm600 s3 or sometimes kef reference 104.2 speakers.

I really don't know..

...I'm using the Strata III and it works quite well.

I've never heard a sub blend better than this, positively not detectable as a separate sound source. Takes a bit of fussing around to get it right, but she's very adjustable.

It's worked well with whatever speaker I've used... Paradigm Studio 60s, Revel M20s, and my JMRs.

Once you get used to the new foundation, I bet you'll have a hard time turning it off :*)