Need receiver recommendation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need receiver recommendation

amarmistry
05-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Hi folks,

I was thinking of getting Denon 2310CI (priced around 550) but then I learned that it does not have networking capabilities. The next higher up in the line (3310CI) does have networking. What I mean/understand by that it can stream music from the PC, unless there is more to it. Could this streaming be done wirelessly or does it have to be wired? The price for 3310CI is 300 more than 2310CI.
Is there any other good receiver brand that provides such conectivity to a PC but stays in the range of 550-700?

Any help would be appreciated?

kevlarus
05-20-2010, 06:27 AM
Hi folks,

I was thinking of getting Denon 2310CI (priced around 550) but then I learned that it does not have networking capabilities. The next higher up in the line (3310CI) does have networking. What I mean/understand by that it can stream music from the PC, unless there is more to it. Could this streaming be done wirelessly or does it have to be wired? The price for 3310CI is 300 more than 2310CI.
Is there any other good receiver brand that provides such conectivity to a PC but stays in the range of 550-700?

Any help would be appreciated?

I'd have to say that's the first I've heard of a receiver having built-in wireless. Blu-ray players I've heard of that. If it's not wireless, you can use the SPDIF from the PC to the optical in on the receiver. Never done it, but should be straight forward. Now if the PC is a laptop, that may be a slightly different story... I normally don't see them with SPDIF's.

AVMASTER
05-20-2010, 09:19 AM
not available in that price range from a legit reseller; Onkyo TXSR608 has a VGA connection for PC, Sherwood R-904N has ethernet jack and 802.11g USB to WiFi adapter, or you could use a Sonos Zoneplayer90 connected to any AVR or a Logitech device (model # escapes me at the moment), etc....

pixelthis
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Integra or Onkyo.
either is a rock solid performer.:1:

amarmistry
05-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you folks for all the input.
Do I really need a receiver that is 'Network enabled' to be able to stream music from my PC/Laptop or there is another way to do it?

If I got a receiver without networking capabilities, I could still use an external source for making it connect to my PC/Laptop like AVMASTER suggeste, right?

pixelthis
05-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Thank you folks for all the input.
Do I really need a receiver that is 'Network enabled' to be able to stream music from my PC/Laptop or there is another way to do it?

If I got a receiver without networking capabilities, I could still use an external source for making it connect to my PC/Laptop like AVMASTER suggeste, right?

Theres a lot you can do.
My old INTEGRA had ethernet, didnt use it, just ran a optical cable from my
soundblaster to my receiver.
Now I use HDMI for both video and sound, but am thinking about a usb dat
for increased resolution, not that my old ears could tell.:1:

rob_a
05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
From about $100 and up, you can get an external DAC with a USB input that will work just fine with any receiver, as long as you have stereo inputs and the last time I checked most receiver were still coming with those. :yesnod:

Just check to make sure your computers operating system is compatible with the DAC your looking at.

BadAssJazz
05-24-2010, 08:11 AM

No, there are a few work arounds, although I am making no claims about the audio quality:

1. Buy a mini jack-to-RCA cable and hook up your PC to your AVR.

2. If your PC is equipped with digital coax outs (as my media PC is), you can simply buy a coax cable and run that from your PC to your AVR.

3. If your PC doesn't have RCA or digital outs, you can buy a better sound card that does have those connections...and then run the appropriate cable from your PC to AVR.

Geoffcin
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
not spam