Are these Name Brand Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are these Name Brand Speakers

VintageTurntable
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
My dad was wondering because he had never heard of them. Big Monterous with wood Cabinets,15" Woofers,Circuit Breaker Protected,4Way,6 Driver,& they say Scott Exspensive? from 1987

VintageTurntable
05-17-2010, 10:50 AM
How do they compare with lets say KENWOOD & TECHNICS??

markw
05-17-2010, 10:51 AM
What did you say that brand was?

VintageTurntable
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Scott

basite
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
sounds like a kabuki speaker, '87 and 6 drivers, (kabuki is not a brand, it's referring to a type of speaker) (look it up for clarification).

I wouldn't rate them very high, maybe somewhere in the lines of kenwoods, but kenwood's strength never were speakers neither, technics made some decent speakers.

As I have no experience whatsoever with the type of speakers you are referring to, I cannot comment on how they sound, but my expectations aren't very high - sorry.

VintageTurntable
05-17-2010, 11:04 AM
They sound Fantastic I have them hooked up to a 70's KENWOOD Stereo Receiver.

markw
05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
The fact of the matter is that, even in Scott's heyday in the 50's, 60's and early 70's they were not known for outstanding speakers. Electroncs, yes, but not speakers.

And, I didn't know they made planar speakers, either.

basite
05-17-2010, 01:13 PM
And, I didn't know they made planar speakers, either.

They didn't. :)

VintageTurntable
05-17-2010, 01:20 PM
Sorry must have posted in the wrong forum I don't know what Planar Speakers are??

VintageTurntable
05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
They are outstanding In my opinion. I even read online they had a better reputation than most for speakers. Correct me if I'm wrong but i'm 100% positive circuit breakers or fuses are only used in speakers that are exspensive never used in inexspensive ones?

basite
05-18-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry, but...

where did you read that?

read this:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-110144.html

especially not in 87, scott made their heydays in the 60's and 70's, and like a lot of brands, they only went downhill from of that point. Their early speakers, were more decent, better made, 'respectable', but still nothing special. Like lots of other brands, like advent, acoustic research, jensen, lenco ... just to name a few, they were swallowed up by big 'factories', which killed the original brand, used the name and let them produce crappy electronics. look at advent, for example, a brand by Henry Kloss, the advent speakers, were a true revolution in their time, they brought the music to the people. Kloss introduced a smaller cabinet for acoustic suspension type speakers, and a 2 way design with a new tweeter design, they sounded terrific, especially considering that they didn't cost that much. BUT, Henry left his child 'advent', and the brand was bought by a chinese
manufacturer, and today, advent makes portable DVD players, to be mounted in cars, and no quality ones neither...

If you like them, keep them, that's all that matters, but know that they are nothing special, and there is much much better out there for not much money...

and,
Planar speakers are speakers that use thin foils, or something in that order moved by big magnets, a popular example of a planar speaker brand is magnepan. there also exist other theories, used in brands like martin logan, and apogee.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
FYI They were bought from ABC Warehouse I got them from the original owner who bought them new in 1987. & they are circuit breaker protected.

basite
05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
FYI They were bought from ABC Warehouse I got them from the original owner who bought them new in 1987. & they are circuit breaker protected.

Which means, what?

circuit breakers 'fuses', were pretty common back then...
and most true high end speakers don't have them, fuses affect sound.

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
I don't believe any of that. They sure did know how to make good speakers.

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 07:47 AM
No these speakers have no fuses to have to be replaced once they blow.

basite
05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't believe any of that. They sure did know how to make good speakers.

well, you don't have to believe me, in particular.

but, check wikipedia, check hifi classics, and especially
check their current site.

scott's website (http://www.audioscott.com/index.php?langue=19)

this is what they became, after 1985, when they were bought by a big company. and on hifi classics, they mention ALL their amps, all their tuners, everything, and only one speaker...

I'm not hating you for owning these, certainly not, but there is better out there...

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 08:54 AM
well if I had to guess the price of them when new was probbally $600.00 or $700.00 or right around there.

basite
05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
well, but that's no more than a guess isn't it?

how about you post some pics of these things?

Ajani
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
If you like them, keep them, that's all that matters

I 100% Agree! Unless the plan is to try and sell them on A'gon as some kind of classic limited edition ultra rare BS, then it doesn't matter whether they are "brand name" speakers or not...

but know that they are nothing special, and there is much much better out there for not much money...

I disagree... that's a big assumption... for Vintage T's tastes there may not be anything out there that is "much Better" for "not much money"...

Even gear only regarded as average/nothing special might sound surprisingly good with synergistic products and the right setup...

I have a pair of cheap 90's Technics 3 ways, that I never thought to use with any kind of decent electronics as they are essentially "junk" by all audiophile standards... But when I put them into service to test out a new amp I found that they are capable of sounding quite respectable...

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
I would never part with them.

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 01:55 PM
I would gladly post pics if I had a Camera but I don't have one.

markw
05-18-2010, 04:32 PM
You're new here and seem to have just discovered the wonder of stereo. That's good.

You have a lot of questions. That's normal and this is a good place to get answers. There are many people here with years of experience in this hobby. Some were most likely into audio before you, and perhaps your parents, were even born.

Remember, not every piece of equipment you stumble across is going to be a hidden gem. Sometimes people throw away a gem but keep in mind that a lot of the stuff made since the inception of this hobby was quite pedestrian, and sometimes worse.

Since you ask questions, it's assumed that you want an honest answer. Be prepared for them. I don't think people are here to pith in your cornflakes, just provide honest answers.

But, a pattern seems to be emerging, at least on two of your three threads here so far.

It seems that you know what you want to hear before you ask the questions and, when the answers weren't what you wanted to hear, you seem to become a bit confrontational and argue with the people who were kind enough to share their (in many cases, extensive) knowledge with you.

Seriously, guy. Lighten up. If you want honest answers, ask. If all you want is affirmation, well...

VintageTurntable
05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
So Mark what are u saying exactly??

JoeE SP9
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
What he's trying to say in a nice way is that the speakers you think are so good are really pretty awful. They weren't considered all that good back then and they come off even worse in comparison with current speakers. There are plenty of speakers from that era that are quite good. H.H. Scotts are not one of the good ones. Generally, any speaker with a circuit breaker in it is not very good. That's a plain and simple fact.

With that said, markw was polite and laid back. If you ask for opinions be prepared to hear things you may not like. If you were close to my location I'd invite you over to hear what I and others whose opinions I value think sounds damn good. The others I speak of are people who like me have been involved in this hobby for many years. In my case since since 1967.

Incidentally "Kabuki" is not a complimentary term for a speaker.

In any case, if you like the sound of your 'Kabuki" speakers that's your prerogative. However, don't expect those of us with some knowledge and experience in this field to agree with your assessment.

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Also I know off topic but a Kenwood KR-4070 is just killer rated at 40 x2 WPC it bangs.

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Basically you just said you don't like Bose then because their speakers have circuit breakers in them. Example 301's

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 01:07 PM
Well speakers are only good if they have some form of protection fuse,circuit breaker otherwise they will just blow if played loud.

Ajani
05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Basically you just said you don't like Bose then because their speakers have circuit breakers in them. Example 301's

Ummm... that is not a good point to make around here... On Audiiphile sites; Bose is generally regarded as utter crap.... So you are really in the wrong place if you are going to use Bose as your reference for what high quality sound is...

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Well what brand do u use then? Ev something another are awesome speakers.

basite
05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
what the...!

DUDE, what are you? spankingvanillaice V2 or what?

you think you have something special. You're wrong, they're not. Live with it.
Speakers with fuses, or circuit breakers (which alter the sound even more), are not high end, because they have a protection circuit, in the contrary actually. name one true high end speaker, or even name one mid end speaker that actually has fuses? especially today?
using bose as a reference is like saying the fiat panda is the best car ever made, it's not, it's a fiat panda, which you'd be happy with if it would even drive at all.

You are here on a public forum, You have a question, several, actually. We respond to you with answers to those questions. Those answers are not what you were hoping they would be. IF you want affirmation, go brag with your "huge 15 inch woofers" with some 8 year old kids. I'm sure they'll like them. They go loud and they do boom, and if you're lucky, they can do shizzle too.

I'm sorry to say it, really, I wish there was a more polite way to say this, but please, start accepting all the facts here. as JoeE and Mark said, there are people here that are really into audio, that really care about audio, and that have been doing so for a long time already. Some of them even longer than you presumably have lived.

These people are willing to share their knowledge with you. But you have to listen!

so tell me, when are you going to start listening?

regards,
Bert.

basite
05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Well what brand do u use then? Ev something another are awesome speakers.

And look into my signature, I use Thiel speakers,
you can find more about them at their site here (http://www.thielaudio.com/)

they are high quality speakers, in a league that you have never even heard of.
I love those things. I love their sound, the soundstage they can bring, the holographic imaging, their tight and deep lows, their very sweet, soft and very natural mids, and the detailed but definitely not harsh highs, I love their coherence. I am proud of them, I am proud of myself to be owning such a great speaker at a young age like mine. I worked several months for them, and another several months for the amplifier to drive them with, a legend too.

Other examples of good, very good, true high end speakers are: Avalon, B&W, Monitor audio, Zu audio, MBL, audiophysics, some Klipsch, Totem, Verity audio, Tannoy,...

but Electrovoice are not. they had a few good models, a serious while back, they don't have anything proper now.

Regards,
Bert.

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Cerwin Vega is a highend speakers manufacturer. They don't use fuses anymore anyways just circuit breakers like Bose & CV. pics of your speakers?

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 03:32 PM
But thinking realistically most people don't buy their speakers online usually in retail stores or highend Stereo Equipment stoores.You won't find Theil Speakers because there is no more places like those around only retail Stores.

Ajani
05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Cerwin Vega is a highend speakers manufacturer. They don't use fuses anymore anyways just circuit breakers like Bose & CV. pics of your speakers?

VT, Bose and Cerwin Vega are not well regarded among audiophiles.... Only recently has CV's most expensive speaker gotten some respect as being very good for the money...

However, the most expensive speakers from brands like Bose and CV are around $1.5K... That is often regarded as the starting point of decent speakers... $15K is a fairly common price for a top of the line model from a high end brand... In fact there are even speakers in excess of $150K...

The brands you are talking about would be considered entry level at best and are often (with the exception of current CV) regarded as being average or below average for the money...

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Okay you are entitled to your own opinion but that is my opinion sorry if I'm driving anyone crazy. I work with a dj we use Yamaha Speakers 20" Woofers. No I didn't mean Electrovoice earlier in one of my posts there was another dj using some speakers that just said EV it wasn't Electrovoice I don't think What is the brand just the itnitals EV? The speakers were awesome!!! I'm a huge fan of Crown JBL they also rocked.

JoeE SP9
05-19-2010, 05:21 PM
If DJ speakers are your reference for quality sound you are working from a very inadequate knowledge base.
For the most part all the speakers you have mentioned are absolute utter crap. Circuit breakers and fuses are put into crappy speakers because they are usually driven by equally crappy receivers. Those crappy underpowered receivers have a marked tendency to clip (that's distort horribly) when pushed hard. (it's easy to do with them) When an amplifier clips it blows tweeters. Thats why fuses or circuit breakers are put in those speakers. It's to protect those $1.98 tweeters.
It's becoming quite obvious you have never heard anything the posters here consider decent. Bear in mind that there are major differences of opinion on gear especially speakers. The fact that virtually every response has said pretty much the same thing should tell you something.
I strongly suggest you go to a mid-fi or high end dealer and listen to some good speakers driven by good electronics. Until you do so you are fighting a battle where you have inadequate resources and no ammunition. When you have heard some decent gear and speakers set up properly then you "may" have something intelligent to add to this forum. As it stands now you are acting exactly like an 8 year old spoiled brat who hasn't got a clue.

VintageTurntable
05-19-2010, 05:47 PM
I drive my speakers with Kenwood receivers almost bought an Onkyo TX-4500 But I mainly use Kenwood. I will use my Yamaha RX-V363 if the Kenwood somehow quits working.

Ajani
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Hmmm... Let's see:

Asking for opinions and then ignoring all responses - check

Talking to himself about gear that has nothing to do with the topic - check

I think we may finally have a new SVI :yikes:

basite
05-20-2010, 01:27 AM
But thinking realistically most people don't buy their speakers online usually in retail stores or highend Stereo Equipment stoores.You won't find Theil Speakers because there is no more places like those around only retail Stores.

you do find high end speakers and gear online, not all, of course, and maybe you should sometimes come out, and realize that there actually still are high end dealers...

and just because you don't find them online, it doesnt mean they don't exist anymore. There is a big variety of audiophile gear out there, that you have never heard of.

so your realistic thinking brought you nowhere, in fact, thinking like that won't really help anything at all, not even the economy...

so quit whining.

if your reference gear are "dj speakers", then you are clueless of what "high end" actually is. DJ speakers, with now matter how big their woofers are, and how loud they can play are DEFINITELY NOT HIGH END.
That's a fact, I don't care what your 16 year old friends all tell you, because they are just as close minded as you.

EV are the initials of "electrovoice", also, a fact, look it up, for a dude that says that most of the people buy their speakers online, you are pretty much clueless too about how to work with the internet. but then again, a quick google search would probably learn you so much more that you'd end up killing yourself.

now
again
your speakers are NOT high end, they are not even mid end, they are useless. they might go loud, hooray, a megaphone can go louder, does that mean it's better quality? let alone high end?

NO, it doesn't.

I know, it's hard for you, but, live with it.
it could very well be that all of this is your opinion, you might very well be deaf and therefore think the speakers you own actually do sound good, but bear in mind, that other people, who DO actually WANT advice, and listen to it, might read this too. and we don't want to end up with people all start to buy crappy speakers, don't we?

now, This is the point where you should say to yourself, i'm a noob, and I should listen to what these people have to say, I might actually learn something. then think about it, and decide that it's probably the best thing to do. Then actually start doing so. We are perfectly willing to give you answers to all your questions, we are all willing enough to point you in a right direction with all your future upgrade plans.
Yes, we really are.

but
you
have
to
LISTEN.

think about it.

now,
That felt good.

you requested pictures of my speakers, there are several pictures of my setup here on AR, but they're not really up to date, some changes have been going trough in my system lately.

here is a brochure about the speakers though, from thiel's website:
Thiel CS2.3 literature (http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/PDF_files/PDF_product_lit/CS2_3lit.pdf)

oh, and, what music do you actually listen to?

Regards,
Bert.

poppachubby
05-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Those Thiels do look tasty, but as tasty as this? I don't think so...6 speakers basite, count em up. PLUS, they don't waste any wood for needless things like bracing or reinforcement. Does your speaker sound like a completely hollow void if you knock on it?!? Didn't think so. You know what? You, Joe and Ajani, oh ya, Mark too are all a bunch of clowns. Just look at it's majestic beauty and realise it sounds as good as it looks. Kenwood forever!!!!!

http://www.decware.com/kenwood.jpg

poppachubby
05-20-2010, 02:14 AM
I suppose no one will be upset if I crap this thread. basite, check out the deck I am gunning for, nice price. Remember we talked about old school DD?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1277159684

http://pic6.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1269203052.jpg

http://pic6.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1269203053.jpg

basite
05-20-2010, 03:08 AM
oh my :)
that's a beauty

run, don't walk, be home before dinner, but get it! :p

I just hauled 2 extra Lenco's, new summer project coming up :p

that makes a total, of, let me think, 6 turntables now? :p

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

emaidel
05-20-2010, 03:43 AM
well if I had to guess the price of them when new was probbally $600.00 or $700.00 or right around there.

Dream on, friend. LIsten to Joe's advice. If you ask members here a question, try to understand that some may have more knowledge than you, and are offering you an honest, sincere answer to your questions. "Kabuki" is a most unflattering term for speakers, and certainly describes those you've been talking about. If you like them, then that's fine, but don't expect others with a background in audio to agree with you.

JoeE SP9
05-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Those Thiels do look tasty, but as tasty as this? I don't think so...6 speakers basite, count em up. PLUS, they don't waste any wood for needless things like bracing or reinforcement. Does your speaker sound like a completely hollow void if you knock on it?!? Didn't think so. You know what? You, Joe and Ajani, oh ya, Mark too are all a bunch of clowns. Just look at it's majestic beauty and realise it sounds as good as it looks. Kenwood forever!!!!!

http://www.decware.com/kenwood.jpg

Did the speaker on the floor fall out? Or, is it supposed to be that way? does it help the bass?

JoeE SP9
05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
I suppose no one will be upset if I crap this thread. basite, check out the deck I am gunning for, nice price. Remember we talked about old school DD?

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1277159684

http://pic6.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1269203052.jpg

http://pic6.audiogon.com/i/c/f/1269203053.jpg

That's very nice. I like it.:yesnod: The changeable arm board is a very nice feature.

How do you stack the LP's with that low dust cover?:cornut:

poppachubby
05-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Did the speaker on the floor fall out? Or, is it supposed to be that way? does it help the bass?

It helps with imaging and soundstage, something you ESL guys know nothing about. And yes with the driver on the floor the bass dips to 30 Hz, makes the women go wild.

JoeE SP9
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm sure it does make them go wild. Do you open the door or do they just run through it?

basite
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
It helps with imaging and soundstage, something you ESL guys know nothing about. And yes with the driver on the floor the bass dips to 30 Hz, makes the women go wild.

I thought it was the "buy 2 speakers, and already get 3 replacement drivers"-special sales promo, just in case the original driver randomly died trying to produce actual music...

basite
05-20-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm sure it does make them go wild. Do you open the door or do they just run through it?

it's a combo!

first they become angry, because there are 2 humongous wooden doorstops in the living room, which produces vibrations, and then they run through the door...

VintageTurntable
05-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey don't know what any of u guys got against Kenwood their amps & receivers are awesome!!

markw
05-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Hey don't know what any of u guys got against Kenwood their amps & receivers are awesome!!Not since the mid/late 70's and, even then, their speakers sucked.

Now, sit back, lurk, and learn.

JohnMichael
05-20-2010, 06:42 PM
what the...!

These people are willing to share their knowledge with you. But you have to listen!

so tell me, when are you going to start listening?

regards,
Bert.

Bert I checked IP addresses and they are different people. Twin sons of different mothers.

JoeE SP9
05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey don't know what any of u guys got against Kenwood their amps & receivers are awesome!!

Please take the time to check out the kind of gear that most of the posters use. If you do you will see that there are very few if any receivers listed. Most of the receivers listed are of the "vintage" variety. Most of Kenwood's recent receivers and most other recent receivers are classified as BPC (Black Plastic Crap). In direct comparison with "higher end gear" BPC comes off a distant third. With only two competitors that's pretty bad.
Personally, I have no problem with what you like. However telling those who have years of experience and better gear than you've ever heard that speakers with circuit breakers or fuses and new receivers are "awesome" is stupid. As I said in an earlier post, you don't know enough about this hobby to make sweeping pronouncements about anything.
I've been involved in this hobby since 1968. With that said, when I first came here I still didn't proclaim things as if I was the fount of all audio knowledge. Even now, if I ask a question I listen to and respect the answers I get. Otherwise, why ask the question. Most of us are here to have fun and learn. In your case it should be, to learn and have fun.
Kenwood vintage gear is actually quite popular with many posters. I purchased some for my girlfriend. When I'm at her place the table radio she had wasn't sufficient. The vintage preamp, tuner and power amp coupled with vintage Advent mini's and Velodyne sub woofer sound quite good. So, it should be evident I have nothing against Kenwood gear. I supect most other posters don't either.

poppachubby
05-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Basic C1 here. Kid has Basic series and then some.