RIP: Ronnie James Dio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Ronnie James Dio

3LB
05-16-2010, 03:17 PM
It really really pains me to report that RJD is no longer with us.

It was just a few weeks ago my 16 year old son was following up on a song he heard (Rainbow In The Dark) when he asked me if I knew anything of the band DIO. Of course I did...only spent my youth mesmurized by him, that's all...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/obit/2010-05-16-ronnie-james-dio_N.htm?csp=34

Mr Peabody
05-16-2010, 04:06 PM
One of Rock's greatest vocalists. Farewell..... to the man on the silver mountain.

ForeverAutumn
05-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Well that sucks. I knew that he was pretty sick and that they had to cancel their summer tour, but I didn't realize that he was that sick.

It's a sad day. :(

RIP Ronnie.

BarryL
05-17-2010, 09:50 AM
I bought the first Rainbow album back around 1975? - Ritchie Blackmore's first post-Deep Purple outing, and loved it. Of course, Dio was the new vocalist. He was perfect for the fantasy lyrics and heavy metal riffing. A great new rock legend was born. Rainbow Rising, the second album, was even better. Dio had found his sweet spot. He never looked back, I guess, but I didn't really follow his career after that. He was still belting them out at 67 years old! Some guys are never too old to Rock n Roll. I'm sure he'll live on forever as one of the second-generation heavy metal greats.

rob_a
05-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I am sad to hear this news :sad:

RIP Dio

Finch Platte
05-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Bummer! :frown5:

Thanks for many years of rockin', Ronnie. You will be missed.

MasterCylinder
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Agreed............RJD made his own unique impact............on both his generation of rockers and on the current generation as well.
I've always believed that to have your song reborn as a cover is to be given a tribute; in that context, let's not forget that the most recent release from Dream Theater included STARGAZER from Rainbow Rising, 1976.