Infinity Kappa 6 midrange [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Infinity Kappa 6 midrange

bhamct
05-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a pair of Infinity Kappa 6s. On one of them the cream-colored plastic dome on the Polydome K midrange has become cracked and small pieces of it have fallen off. Is there any way to replace this plastic dome, and is it advisable or necessary to do this in order to preserve the quality of the speaker's sound? I know Orange county speaker sells replacements for the entire Polydome K midrange. They charge $129.95 for just one of them! I'd like to avoid that. If the absence of the plastic dome is just an aesthetic problem, I can live with that.

Mr Peabody
05-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I've never seen one of those apart but to my understanding the dome was very much part of the speaker. I'm surprised it is still putting out sound. I had a set of Kappa 7's. I hope i spell this right, Vifa made those dome mids for Infinity, it could be worth contacting them to see if they have anything in stock cheaper to replace yours. From what you posted it seems you feel the drivers are expensive but I'd highly recommend if you replace one that you do both for tonal simularity.

bhamct
05-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks! I will try to contact Vifa. Yes, I would have to replace both mids to the tune of $260! More than I paid for the whole speakers on ebay.