Marantz Imperial 6G Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Marantz Imperial 6G Speakers

rtsnoz
05-16-2010, 02:10 AM
Hi All,

I'm a long time reader, new user on this site.

I'm starting to develop/improve my audio setup and I've picked up a pair of Marantz Imperial 6G speakers.

From the reading (and listening) I've done, they seem to be fairly nice speakers, but the tweeters are distinctly soft. Where can/should I find something more modern to replace these with?

Cheers,
Rohan

thekid
05-16-2010, 02:53 AM
RT

Welcome to AR!
I owned a pair of Imperial 5's and was not all that impressed with their highs which was why a traded them. I have seen pics of the 6G and if I recall the 6 uses the same round CTS tweeter as the 5. You could take some measurements and try a tweeter from Parts Express to see if that would work. I would only caution you that if you go much beyond the cost of $25 apiece then you are probaly looking at exceeding the cost/value of the speakers themselves. IMO there are alot of vintage speakers out there in the $75-$100 range that will outperform the Marantz so that may be something to consider.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

JoeE SP9
05-16-2010, 02:53 AM
First, welcome to AR.

For replacement speakers the more information you can give us the better we can advise.

Associated gear you're using
New or used
Budget
Type and volume of music primarily listened to
Size of room and type of furnishings.

tk: I finally got a pair of Advent Mini's to go with the Kenwood gear I got from you. I added a 10" Velodyne AV sub and the sound is quite nice. I can now spend time at my girlfriends and not hurt my ears. Thanks again.

rtsnoz
05-17-2010, 05:28 AM
Thanks for the replies.

The point about watching how much i spend is valid. So far the speakers have cost me nothing so I'm currently ahead... :)

They're in a fairly small room 4m X 4m which they easily FILL. They're currently powered by a beomaster 901, with signal from a beogram 1203 turntable, and ipods/computer etc.

I'm listening to a wide variety of music - electronic, rock, classical (in that order). In the bass department they seem to compete fairly well with my bose901s (powered by luxman L200), ahead in the midrange, but fall far behind in the treble.

cjpremierfour
05-17-2010, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking that the Marantz imperial 6's use the Phenolic Ring tweeter. I have a pair of the Rectilinear XI that use this tweeter and their top end is pretty good. Not to say that this is a problem, but have your checked your crossover. Your capacitors and resistors may have changed values. They were made back in the mid 70's and after 35 or so years, they may need to be replaced.