The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings

ForeverAutumn
05-13-2010, 11:09 AM
This is a collection of Styx's first four albums on two CDs. I've considered myself a Styx fan since I was 13-yrs-old and Cornerstone came out. By the time Kilroy Was Here came out, I was going backward in their catalogue...not forward. But the earliest Styx album that I had ever heard up until today was Equinox (their 5th album). Well, this collection has shown me that I was missing the best stuff!!

These first four disks are fantastic! Much more hard rocking than the later poppy stuff that I was exposed to. Had I heard this when I was 12 I probably wouldn't have liked it...it would have been a little too heavy for a 12-yr-old FA. But I wish I'd heard this when I was 17. I guess it's never too late to enjoy music. I'm going to be spinning these for a while getting to know a whole other side of one of my favourite bands.

This is pretty cool!

3LB
05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the tip FA. I found one on Amazon for cheap. Ordered it.

ForeverAutumn
05-13-2010, 03:04 PM
If you haven't heard these albums, I think you'll like them. Very little cheese on them. No one is sailing away and, definately, no robotos.

3LB
05-13-2010, 07:38 PM
I loved Grand Illusion and Pieces Of Eight when I was a chirlin. I even liked Paradise Theater, but then Kilroy came out and I was pretty much done with them.

Mr Peabody
05-13-2010, 07:44 PM
As you FA, I have been a long time Styx fan. I have Styx II on vinyl and love that album. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to try to find this.

3LB
05-18-2010, 02:34 PM
got 'em in ... similar experience to hearing early Journey's artsier phase, but early Journey was a group of tour hardened, seasoned veterans, whereas early Styx sounds like they over-stretch their bounds or exert themselves. But there is a looseness here that is refreshing given how polished they sound later. Good remaster job on this set. Worth it if you get it cheap. I got this on the cheap from one of sellers on Amazon, which has been a bonanza for cheap CDs of late. I've been catching up on quite a few bands which I thought had been under represented in my collection, until now. I paid $7.49 plus S&H for a two disc set - new. Schaweet!

Mr MidFi
05-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Sweet Madame Bluuuuuuuuue...
Gaaaaaaaze in the looking glass!
You're not a chiiiiiiiiiild, anymooooooooore!

Sorry. Ahem. Just thought I'd burst into song there.
Carry on.