Stereo Receiver Clipping Out [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Receiver Clipping Out

VintageTurntable
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
It's a KENWOOD KR-4070 & the right channel is clipping in & out Can fuses cause this to happen or am I out Of Luck?

markw
05-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I strongly doubt it's the fuses. Try cleanng the controls and switches.

VintageTurntable
05-12-2010, 11:06 AM
All the controls & Switches were already cleaned by the ebay seller I bought it from.

manlystanley
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
All the controls & Switches were already cleaned by the ebay seller I bought it from.

Bummer. I have had bad luck buying used stuff off of ebay. Many times people are selling because the equipment is starting to have problems.

Try taking it apart, cleaning off everything. Then take off all the connectors and clean them. Then give it another shot.

Best Regards,
Stan

markw
05-12-2010, 11:28 AM
The seller took the time to tell you that he took the time to clean the switches and posts yet neglected to mention the little fact that it didn't work properly.

Charlie04SiR
05-12-2010, 11:37 AM
hmmm, you need to be more descriptive about how and when the clipping is occurring. At what volume level? Part-time or all-time? Some people confuse low volume distortion with clipping. Clipping only occurs at high volume output when the outputs can no longer sustain the voltage the transformer is feeding them, thereby letting it pass to the speaker terminals. It could have some bad diodes or caps as well. I don't reall if this particular unit has Bias or DC offset adjustments, but to me it sounds like the seller you got it from might have messed around with the internals, not knowing what he was doing, turning screws on the PS boards. Take it to your local reputable tech and have them perform a "bench" test with it.

manlystanley
05-12-2010, 11:43 AM
The seller took the time to tell you that he took the time to clean the switches and posts yet neglected to mention the little fact that it didn't work properly.

Got a good laugh out of that one........ I've been there before.....

Best Regards,
Stan

VintageTurntable
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
The right channel only cuts out at high volume It worked great great for about 1 or 2 months after I got it. Got it on March 15th

markw
05-12-2010, 12:44 PM
The right channel only cuts out at high volume It worked great great for about 1 or 2 months after I got it. Got it on March 15thIT is a very old unit and things do happen. Could just be luck of the draw.