Fisher Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fisher Speakers

dakatabg
05-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know what the exact model of those Fisher speakers is? It has to be the XP series but I don't know the exact model and the wattage. If someone know let me know! Thanks a bunch!

http://i40.tinypic.com/s3pqnm.jpg

3LB
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
I'm guessing anywhere from 75-100 wpc RMS. Ya know, unless you are running mega-wattage, you'll never blow a speaker unless you're playing it at herculean levels pushing your amp into clipping. If you are looking for a PA speaker, don't bother with most any home speaker brands. But if you are running a mid-fi brand reciever or amp, it should do nicely. These types of speakers were usually rather efficient, so as long as your amp provides clean power, 50 watts will do. Since this an old speaker with (I'm guessing) 6db x-overs w/ 35yr old+ 60v-70v electrolitic caps, I'd play it safe with these things and just enjoy them for the novelty that they are.

dakatabg
05-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I am not planning to use them. I got them from a friend and I am thinking to put them on craigslist but the stickers are not on the speaker so I can't just put them like speakers for sale. That's why I am asking

markw
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
They look like something from their mid/late "tower system" era.

dakatabg
05-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah they are pretty old I guess around the 80's. They sound decent with my Marantz receiver.

markw
05-11-2010, 05:19 AM
Yeah they are pretty old I guess around the 80's. They sound decent with my Marantz receiver.Then that's all that matters, isn't it?

dakatabg
05-11-2010, 02:44 PM
Then that's all that matters, isn't it?

Yes it is

JoeE SP9
05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
3LB is correct about amplifier power and speaker wattage ratings.

Speaker wattage ratings mean almost nothing. Take note that most speakers aimed at mid-fi and higher buyers have no wattage ratings.

Generally, too little power causes amplifier clipping and blown tweeters. Too much amplifier power causes woofer bottoming and loud (rattling etc.) mechanical noises.