What Is Consider Vintage Equipment [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What Is Consider Vintage Equipment

Mingus
05-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I was clearing up the attic for more space and rediscovered some old equipment.

Here a partial list:
Yamaha DSP-E200 Sound Field Processor
ADC Sound Shaper Equalizer
Onkyo A-7 Integrated Amp
Kenwood KT-6500 Tuner
Yamaha EQ-550 Equilizer
Carver TFM-25 Power Amp
Carver C-16 Pre Amp
Carver TX-12 Tuner
Technic tt (don't know model #)
Paradigm Mini Monitors

What is consider vintage equipment. Is it just based on age. These components were replaced when I converted to HT. I am trying to find some use for this stuff, maybe a two channel system.

rob_a
05-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Sounds like you have the making of a nice secondary system for the garage. I would say vintage is over 30 years, that’s a nice round number :yesnod:

02audionoob
05-07-2010, 02:34 PM
In the mid 70's I had a system that had an 8-track and tuner on the front, with a record changer on the top. I wouldn't call it vintage now, though. I'd call it old.

rob_a
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
In the mid 70's I had a system that had an 8-track and tuner on the front, with a record changer on the top. I wouldn't call it vintage now, though. I'd call it old.

So you would not call your record changer and 8-track "Vintage?" Old and vintage are different in your view if equipment quality and timelessness???

Glen B
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
What is consider vintage equipment.

At least 25 years or older.

dakatabg
05-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Vintage is something that is rated 20W and it sound a lot better and louder than something new rated 100W :)

poppachubby
05-07-2010, 08:09 PM
I wouldn't call it vintage now, though. I'd call it old.

I fully agree with this sentiment. Vintage, aside from age, IMO also implies quality. It's almost a word we have come to use to describe reverance. However in many cases, the gear is junk and "vintage" is used to try and elevate it's status.

Mingus you should clean up the Onkyo, add the 'digms and get the Technics up to snuff. Would make a very listenable day to day system, for any room where critical listening is not an option.

As for the rest, Craigslist and then whatever is unsold, to GW/SA.

I have never met a Carver I liked...

thekid
05-08-2010, 02:26 AM
You will never get audio people to totally agree on a definiton of "vintage" in part because the same personal preferences that existed when it was new still exist when it is 20-25 years old. You also have people who take a strictly technological approach and don't believe anything solid state or digital can be considered "vintage". Finally there are changes within the manufacturers themselves; the KLH of today is not even close to the KLH of 30-40 years ago so the term "vintage" is often used to reference back to the golden days of a specific manufacturer when describing gear.

If you look at my signature and see the gear I have compiled I have been able to collect the majority of that gear because someone considered it junk. My wallet is happy to let the debate rage between what is "vintage" and what is junk. My ears don't care about labels........... :D

Mingus
05-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I will try to use what I can to set up a 2 channel system. The Onkyo A-7 Amp will be the center piece and the Kenwood tuner is stiill in good working condition. The Technic tt is not in the best of shape. I have to set it up to see if it still works, The Paradigm Mini Monitor pair is in the attic because one of the pair fell down a flight of stairs and got dented pretty bad. The Mini Monitors were the surrounds to the Studio 60s, Studio Center and Velodyne sub for for the living room HT. The right surround were on a stand and placed near the basement opening. One day, my son and his friend started horsing around and knock the Mini Monitor and the stand down a flight of stairs. I am telling you, it made a lot of noise. I replace the Mini Monitor with the Paradigm Atom and mounted it seven foot high on the side walls with shelves I built. The Mini Monitor accident didn't alter the sound so it probably could still be use. I also have the Boston Acoustics Sub Sat Six ( a three system). As for the Carver - I had a reliability issue with them. The right channel volume of the power amp was lower then the left. Good thing it was under warrantee.

E-Stat
05-08-2010, 01:57 PM
At least 25 years or older.
That would be my definition as well.

rw

Feanor
05-09-2010, 05:01 AM

What is consider vintage equipment. Is it just based on age. These components were replaced when I converted to HT. I am trying to find some use for this stuff, maybe a two channel system.
This is somewhat subjective. To me vintage is largely pre-'80s. To quality as "vintage" by my defintion components will have most of the following characteristics:

No, (or very few), integrated circuits
Analog meters
Capacitor, non-quartz radio tuning
Analog switches, preferably rotary or flip switches vs. push-buttons
No remote controlsE.g. this Pioneer SPEC-1 preamp ....

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pics/spec1.jpg

thekid
05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
This is somewhat subjective. To me vintage is largely pre-'80s. To quality as "vintage" by my defintion components will have most of the following characteristics:

No, (or very few), integrated circuits
Analog meters
Capacitor, non-quartz radio tuning
Analog switches, preferably rotary or flip switches vs. push-buttons
No remote controlsE.g. this Pioneer SPEC-1 preamp ....

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer/pics/spec1.jpg

Those are some good guidelines.
Is that your Spec gear?
My brother managed to score a Spec1 pre-amp and Spec 4 amp off of CL awhile back and it is a an awesome combo.

Feanor
05-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Those are some good guidelines.
Is that your Spec gear?
My brother managed to score a Spec1 pre-amp and Spec 4 amp off of CL awhile back and it is a an awesome combo.
Unfortunately no, I have no Spec-1. That's just a stock photo.

The only vintage piece I have at the moment that is close to my criteria is a Marantz 1070 integrated amp. And I'm afraid has some analog push-buttons, (Superscope Marantz was an eary adopter), and slide pots (yuck!).

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Marantz1070-front-700.jpg

MikeyBC
05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
My definition of vintage is anything pre-dating CD's....I've never heard the term "vintage CD player"

dakatabg
05-09-2010, 12:15 PM
My definition of vintage is anything pre-dating CD's....I've never heard the term "vintage CD player"

good point :wink5:

Mingus
05-11-2010, 02:58 PM
I also discover that I have the Sony CDP-CE215 CD carousel player, Technics CDP-CE215 receiver.

It looks like I have enough stuff to set up two 2 channel systems - for the piano room and garage.

I have to mix and match to see which component works best. Any suggestiions. Some of fthese are over 25 years old.

dakatabg
05-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I also discover that I have the Sony CDP-CE215 CD carousel player, Technics CDP-CE215 receiver.

It looks like I have enough stuff to set up two 2 channel systems - for the piano room and garage.

I have to mix and match to see which component works best. Any suggestiions. Some of fthese are over 25 years old.

Mingus, those are nothing special players. Check the Marantz PMD325 cd player if you are looking for something good. (just giving you an example)

Mingus
05-22-2010, 12:59 PM
This weekend I setup this system in the room from the list of old equipment. Onkyo A-7 integrated amp, Kenwood KT-6500 tuner, Sony CDP-CE215 CD carousel player and Boston Acoustics Subsat Six a three piece speaker system. I am still trying to hook up the old Technic tt. This is a pretty ordinary setup but the Boston Acoustics speakers sound much better than I expected.