Iron Man 2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 2

3LB
05-07-2010, 10:46 AM
Anyone gonna see it this weekend? I got tix for tomorrow afternoon w/ the family. Advanced buzz is that its a comicbook geek movie; way more action packed, numurous nods to Marvel storylines, and too many characters and tangents for the casual viewer (i.e., non-comicbook geeks). I hope this movie answers the following questions:

Why is Spiderman one word and Iron Man two?

Don Cheadle as Rhodie?

What the hell is Black Widow doing in this movie? Hedging their bet by having a hot chick in a skin-tight leather jumpsuit?

What's up with the AC/DC soundtrack? How many times can this band get repackaged and re-sold? Can't they find some hard rock from say, the last two decades or so? Who's their music consultant, Clear Channel Communications?

Are they purposely avoiding Stark's substance abuse from the comics because of Downey? He might have some insight.

Is Mickey Rourke taking on these beefcake roles as an outlet for 'roid rage?

When the hell are they gonna do a Luke Cage (Power Man; again, two words) movie?

Are they really gonna have a Thor movie? Really? never liked the guy myself

eisforelectronic
05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
I think you'll at least find the answer to your last question

rob_a
05-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Anyone gonna see it this weekend? I got tix for tomorrow afternoon w/ the family. Advanced buzz is that its a comicbook geek movie; way more action packed, numurous nods to Marvel storylines, and too many characters and tangents for the casual viewer (i.e., non-comicbook geeks). I hope this movie answers the following questions:

Why is Spiderman one word and Iron Man two?

Don Cheadle as Rhodie?

What the hell is Black Widow doing in this movie? Hedging their bet by having a hot chick in a skin-tight leather jumpsuit?

What's up with the AC/DC soundtrack? How many times can this band get repackaged and re-sold? Can't they find some hard rock from say, the last two decades or so? Who's their music consultant, Clear Channel Communications?

Are they purposely avoiding Stark's substance abuse from the comics because of Downey? He might have some insight.

Is Mickey Rourke taking on these beefcake roles as an outlet for 'roid rage?

When the hell are they gonna do a Luke Cage (Power Man; again, two words) movie?

Are they really gonna have a Thor movie? Really? never liked the guy myself

Hum??? let’s see here!!!

1. Depends on the creator

2. Rhodie? I know seriously

3. "Hot chick in a skin-tight leather jumpsuit" that is the answer to your question right there.

4. Whatever works, better then let’s say Bruce Springsteen

5. Probably yes, Say no to drugs kids.

6. Mickey need money to fund his 100K a month plastic surgery addition

7. You got me??

8. Why not, milk all the comic books out of any little bit of creativity they might have left.

thekid
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Took my son to see it today after he was done with his AP exam. We both enjoyed it even though the script implied some things rather than taking its time to develop them. Alot of obvious references for the future movies that will be spun from this. Having said all of that, it was still a solid movie and thought it was worth the $.

3LB
05-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I referenced the soundtrack above, but in hindsight, its prolly easier to use one band's music than 12 or 15 different ones, though thats what most movies do. Funny thing is, AC/DC, while refusing to put out a greatest hits CD and instead putting out several boxsets, have pretty much released two seperate 'best of' collections in the form of soundtracks, this one and Who Made Who ('84) - with no overlap in songs, those two soundtracks are nearly all the AC/DC anyone needs.

Smokey
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
6. Mickey need money to fund his 100K a month plastic surgery addition.

What ever happened to this guy anyway!

He was on Jay Leno last week, and his look is so different from the movies we remember such as Year of the Dragon. He look so bloated and bulky. I bet if he walk down the street, nobody would recognize him as Mickey Rourke.

emaidel
05-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Saw "Iron Man 2" yesterday, and thought it was flat-out terrific. Starting off with a spectcularly staged episode during the Grand Prix in Monaco, the film bogged down in a very dull, very talky sequence, but then took off like a rocket and stayed "propelled" right up until the very end, and the very last (and truly hysterical!) line. An absolute blast! And Scarlett Johanssen's body is a genuine work of art!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
05-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Saw "Iron Man 2" yesterday, and thought it was flat-out terrific. Starting off with a spectcularly staged episode during the Grand Prix in Monaco, the film bogged down in a very dull, very talky sequence, but then took off like a rocket and stayed "propelled" right up until the very end, and the very last (and truly hysterical!) line. An absolute blast! And Scarlett Johanssen's body is a genuine work of art!

I totally agree with you! I went to see it today in IMAX, and aside from the occasionally shrilly soundtrack(not a theater sound system issue, as I have heard other movies sound spectacular through this system) it was a flat out blast of a movie. The humor and caricatures were spot on, and R. Downey has proven once again he has a great flair for this franchise.

3LB
05-09-2010, 08:05 PM
I saw it yesterday, and it is a blast, though I don't know what this franchise woulda done without Downey in the lead role. Black Widow or Whiplash (ironically none of these characters were referred to by these names) coulda been played by anybody, just like Batman could be played by anybody. But just as Toby Maguire is indelibly Spiderman, Robert Downey Jr is indeed Iron Man. That being said, his screen time as Stark does verge on the "too cutesy" for me. They try to inflect some gravitas into his character but you never buy it. He preens and quips his way throughout the entire movie. If he weren't so engaging, this franchise would get old, fast. Its a testament to Downey Jr that he can spend an entire two movies being a total ******* and get away with it. Its like he's channeling Dean Martin. Give some credit to Gweneth Paltrow's believably perturbed yet affible Pepper Pots for being a perfect foil for the too-pleased-with-himself Downey/Stark.

It seems it was a master stroke of genius to release this series first, then move on to the other Marvel characters lying in wait (Hulk, Thor, Cap'n America). It will remain to be seen if those up-coming Avenger tie-in flicks will muster the charm of Downey's Tony Stark. Not even Ed Norton's Banner/Hulk personna can match Iron Man's charisma. Not that they have to, but what a way to build a movie studio. Iron Man is however, going to be the measuring stick by which the rest of this Avenger series is going to be based. Good luck with that.

Oh yeah, action galore. Don Cheadle does do a good job as Rhodie. Most of the characters make good use of their screen time. No explaination of why Rourke's character was into whips and his motivation is total cliche. And the Justin Hammer character was just too inept to be believed as a professional rival to Stark Inc. He was channeling Dana Carvey. Samuel L. Jackson gets more face time, but it remains to be seen if his personna fits the mold. I mentioned above the AC/DC soundtrack...they had (I think) two or three songs that appeared in the whole movie. I think the actual music used in the movie woulda made a more relevant and compelling soundtrack. And I'll save everyone the excruciating excersize that is wading through to the end of the credits for the uneventful clue to the next direction - its Thor's hammer, in a desert somehwere...they don't say its Thor's hammer, but every geek in the audience knew what it was. And I'm sure that the momentary glimpse of said hammer was a nod to all of us geeks who then got to turn to their (ok, I'll say it) wives and explain to them that (WTF!) we just sat through all those freakin credits for this?

and for those of you that have seen this already, can you tell me what parallel the Howard Stark character was in this film? I'll give you a hint...its a nod to someone outside the Marvel universe (and a tad bit of buttkissing if ya ask me)

Troy
05-13-2010, 08:59 AM
What an unimaginative and safe movie. Strip away all the explosions and FX and it's just a big, loud and inexcusably dumb, Audi commercial. There's no "there", there, just cliches piled on top of cliches. It's just an over-produced, self-indulgent mess.

The level of Favreau's and Downey's narcissism knows no bounds. Their "look at me, I'm so fabulous, we're the new goldenboys of Hollywood" chest-beating is just embarrassing. This arrogant movie needs a big dose of Team America.

(and 3LB, Walt Disney is absolutely spinning in his grave over being equated with an arms dealer.)

3LB
05-13-2010, 12:33 PM
What an unimaginative and safe movie. Strip away all the explosions and FX and it's just a big, loud and inexcusably dumb, Audi commercial. There's no "there", there, just cliches piled on top of cliches. It's just an over-produced, self-indulgent mess.
you miss the point; its ok to be a fukhead as long as you're good at what you do (insert sports analogy here). It is hard to believe such a narcissist would ever place himself in harms way for any reason (speaking of Stark). And yes, I did find myself wincing at the beginning. But I'll still see the others in this series, even the Thor movie. I'm always gonna be a Marvel comics guy, but yer right, this movie tries one's patience.

The level of Favreau's and Downey's narcissism knows no bounds. Their "look at me, I'm so fabulous, we're the new goldenboys of Hollywood" chest-beating is just embarrassing. This arrogant movie needs a big dose of Team America. people's fascination with Downey now stems from the fact that we like a good comeback story. Before Iron Man, the last thing we remembered Downey in was a police mug shot.

(and 3LB, Walt Disney is absolutely spinning in his grave over being equated with an arms dealer.)
but Disney owns the studio that did it. Now comparing Eisner with an arms dealer...that makes sense. ;)