Amps, Limiters and graphic equalisers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amps, Limiters and graphic equalisers

ikhan42
05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to audio and brand new to this forum.

I am writing to get some information/advise/help.

I have a pair of TIC outdoor rock speakers (300watts each) have them in my backyard and I know I will never run these speakers at 300watts but hey nice to know i can :).

I am installing a media centre server in a cabinet (old linen closet) running RAID5 servicing movies to the TV witin the house, running as a Digital TV recorder and having my library of MP3 to provide music outside when gardening or entertaining.

Now I know I need a amp thats a given but do I need a pre amp? I am ssing that since the speakers are outside a graphic equaliser is a good idea is this a fair assumption? and should I look at putting in a limiter as the music being played will be MP3 and levels wont be consistent from MP3 to MP3.

Also how does all this get put together I understand that the equaliser gets connecting to the back of the amp in the EQ in and EQ out ports but all the info I can find refers to the pre amp not the amp. Also where does the limiter fit into the sceme of things?

OKay thats all the confusions I can think of at the moment I am sure more will arise as I get further into this.

THANKS GUYS and GALS

Have a great day
ikhan42

dakatabg
05-06-2010, 04:49 PM
First - what amplifier do you have? If you have integrated you won't need preamp but if you have power amplifier you will need one for sure. Equalizer is an option but I doubt you will feel big difference since you will use rock speakers. 300w is overated for the speakers. If you wanna use the rock speakers you won't need something powerful.

atomicAdam
05-06-2010, 05:04 PM
As dakatabg says - you wont need a pre-amp if you have an integrated amp. Basically an amp that has several inputs and a volume control. If your amp has these things, your set.

The limiter is a good question. Having a lot of mp3s myself, I am well aware of the issue of levels between them. If I were you I would look for a software solution. A limiter, like what you can by at a pro-audio shop, will clip the audio and it will sound bad in that way.

Hyfi
05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
If you go with an equalizer, I have an AudioControl 10 for sale