Adding Designated 20 amp outlet [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Adding Designated 20 amp outlet

brad1138
05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
My system is currently hooked up to a shared 15 amp outlet. It is shared with about 15 or 20 other outlets (most not used) wired with 14 gauge wire (unfortunately that is code in this county), I am going to add a designated 20 amp breaker & outlet and wire it with 12 or 10 gauge romex. 12 gauge is normally for 20 amp and 10 gauge for 30 amp, I was thinking of running 10 gauge wire because it isn't much more expensive, is it completely overkill? Any thing else to consider while I am doing this? I don't need to be told to be careful or pay someone to do it, it is my home and I am competent to do it myself.

Thanks,
Brad

Mr Peabody
05-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Not overkill and I have yet to hear any one who has added a dedicated line for their hi fi system to say it didn't make an improvement.

JoeE SP9
05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
When I bought my house some years ago, I had the original fuse box upgraded to 200 amp service and circuit breakers. I also had an overly large breaker box installed. I have added 4 dedicated lines, one for video, two for audio including one for sources and one for power amps and one for my main computer/music server. Although a lot of my gear has changed since then, I believe the dedicated lines made a difference for the good.

Fortunately for me, the breaker box is in the basement. All the lines I ran were to the first floor. If you can do it yourself you can save a lot. It's not difficult and the money saved can buy some new gear or an armload of recordings.

Leviton makes some very nice reasonably priced hospital grade outlets.

poppachubby
05-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Leviton makes some very nice reasonably priced hospital grade outlets.

Indeed, look at finishing it off with some quality outlets. I don't see any advantage to a guage lower than 14, this isn't speaker wire.

I have run an extra line from my box, I use the new one for digital and the existing line for analog. Just make sure you give yourself enough outlets.

I'll be interested in your thoughts once completed. Don't be looking for night and day results. If your system is up to snuff, it can help reveal the final bits of small detail that are lost with RFI and power nastiness.

eisforelectronic
05-05-2010, 03:41 AM
All the guys I know that have run dedicated power take it a few more steps and do separate runs and outlets for each component in their system. Electricity is where it all starts!

basite
05-05-2010, 03:59 AM
definitely not overkill, and very much worth it.

GO for it, i'd say, 10 gauge cable all the way and decent outlets :)
they have these audiophile-ish circuit breakers, don't know if it's a real audible difference, no experience, see if it's worth it :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

brad1138
05-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Indeed, look at finishing it off with some quality outlets. I don't see any advantage to a guage lower than 14, this isn't speaker wire.

I have run an extra line from my box, I use the new one for digital and the existing line for analog. Just make sure you give yourself enough outlets.

I'll be interested in your thoughts once completed. Don't be looking for night and day results. If your system is up to snuff, it can help reveal the final bits of small detail that are lost with RFI and power nastiness.

First, does anyone know a good place to get the better outlets? Second, A 20 Amp outlet has to be run on 12 gauge (by code), 14 gauge in some areas is code for 15 amp outlets but in other areas you need 12 gauge for that also.

pixelthis
05-05-2010, 11:07 AM
THE INTERNET, and I see this sort of stuff in the back of audio mags sometimes.
Also, Radio shack.
A LOT OF PEEPS will spend a ton on gear, and neglect the less "sexy" stuff that is
equally (if not more) important.
Just make SURE you know what you're doing, been knocked on my butt a
couple of times.:1:

pixelthis
05-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Finally, any moderate size town has industrial supply houses, if they don't have it, they can get it.:1:

Glen B
05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
First, does anyone know a good place to get the better outlets? Second, A 20 Amp outlet has to be run on 12 gauge (by code), 14 gauge in some areas is code for 15 amp outlets but in other areas you need 12 gauge for that also.

In the United States you may install a 15A duplex receptacle on a 20A circuit. Both receptacles are the same internally, just that the 20A has a "T" neutral slot in the face to accommodate 20A plugs. You may not install a 20A receptacle on a 15A circuit. At the lower end of the price scale of audiophile grade receptacles (below $50) , I would recommend Furutech FP15A copper, or Acme silver plated cryoed 15A/20A outlets.

http://vhaudio.com/acreceptacles.html

http://www.dedicatedaudio.com/power_outlets

NEC receptacle ratings table:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/191557/Receptacle_Ratings_Table.jpg

poppachubby
05-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Personally, I have installed hospital grade receptacles, purchased from a local surplus for $12 each. They are NOT audiophile. My point is perhaps start with the "lower" end hospital grade, and like anything else, upgrade if you so choose.

The other pundit in this scenario is your gear. If it's not super high end, it may not be susceptible to all that a TOTL outlet would offer. This whole topic itself has for and against arguments.

I think starting on the low end is safe and cost effective for your project. Isolated power lines will in itself provide the bulk of what you need for improvement.

brad1138
05-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I went a head and just put in 12/2 with an off the self outlet. The run is fairly easy, I can use the 12/2 to pull bigger wire in the future and I can upgrade the outlet at any time. I agree that 10/2 or 10/3 couldn't have been worse, but I don't think for now it would have made a difference. Unfortunately I had to look at the least expensive option for now, just getting the isolated line is the biggest deal.

It was really easy to do, took me about 2 hours total. I had never opened up a fuse box before, it is much less intimidating now that I have done it. Trying to think of what else I can rewire :)