Amp v Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Amp v Speakers

JonnyMontana
05-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi all.

New member here so please go easy.

I'm looking to put a home cinema togather and am in the process of selecting components.

I need some advice on my amp and speaker selection. I've been advised that I'd be better spending more on my amp rather than the speakers. Lengthy research so far has let me to:

Sony STR5400ES (or the likes)

paired with

B&W 684 package.

I know that the best advice is to go and listen to them. I've listened to the speakers but with a different amp. This is when I was advised that if I was going to spend any more cash it would be better spent on the amp and not the speakers - I thought about the 685's.

Any advice would be really appreciated or suggestions for units in this price range. I originally looked at a Yamaha amp but whathifi changed my mind about that and suggested the Sony.

Cheers!

markw
05-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Choose your speakers first and then buy an amp that can adequately power them. As long as the amp has the jewels to drive the speakers, the amp has less impact on the sound than the speakers.

If music has a any importance in your system, use that for your listening tests, not movies, and concentrate on the two mains. Once you choose them, get the matching center. It's nice when the surrounds match for music but it's less important for movies.

You can add a subwoofer at any time and the better the sub, the better the visceral slam for movies. In my case, it rarely impacts my music listening.

bobsticks
05-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Choose your speakers first and then buy an amp that can adequately power them. As long as the amp has the jewels to drive the speakers, the amp has less impact on the sound than the speakers.

If music has a any importance in your system, use that for your listening tests, not movies, and concentrate on the two mains. Once you choose them, get the matching center. It's nice when the surrounds match for music but it's less important for movies.

You can add a subwoofer at any time and the better the sub, the better the visceral slam for movies. In my case, it rarely impacts my music listening.

This is good advice.

rob_a
05-04-2010, 07:44 AM
The B & W's are great musical speaker and will sound good for movies too. I personally would go with a higher end Denon or Onkyo receiver for a good music / movies combo amp. I am not a fan of Sony because their sound is uninviting to me and Yamaha is not a good musical amp and might not pair well with B & W. But this is just my opinion and you may find something that you love. The best advice is your own, listen and buy what you like. Good luck :14:

blackraven
05-04-2010, 01:37 PM
That sony amp should be just fine.

manlystanley
05-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi all.

B&W 684 package.

I had B&W 684's for years. I was very pleased with them as long as my vintage H/K worked. The H/K died and I got a Emotiva XPA-2. I could never get the warm full sound back. My suggestion, is make sure that the amp/speaker combo give you what you like in sound.

Best Regards,
Stan

JonnyMontana
05-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Many thanks guys for the good advice.

Going to listen again on Friday although have not found B&W to have the best customers service. I called them for advice and they were a bit up themselves.

pixelthis
05-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Many thanks guys for the good advice.

Going to listen again on Friday although have not found B&W to have the best customers service. I called them for advice and they were a bit up themselves.

THEY are not used to providing customer service, as their stuff never breaks.
HAVE HAD MORE TROUBLE with a concrete rebar driveway(my 602's are eight+ years old).
Speakers are the most important thing, a crap clock radio will sound better with decent
or even moderate speakers, just ask bose.:1: