Friday night music & diatribe [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Friday night music & diatribe

newtrix1
04-02-2004, 04:12 PM
I arrived home this evening to an unusual occrrance: an empty house. The family has taken off for a few hours and I'm HOME ALONE!! So what does any music geek do in such a situation! Plays tunes of course. Well, first things first, first I cracked open a Newcastle Brown Ale and poured it into a frosted glass from the freezer...mmmmm.
Now off to the cd shelf....Selected for this evenings entertainment are the following 5 discs:

1) Lori Carson: Everything I Touch Runs Wild
A mood disc for me, gotta want to hear some mellow trippy stuff. It doesn't really fit in the other discs I picked, but oh well.

2) Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell comp. That 'favorite metal band' thread might have had something to do with this selection :)

3) Jesse Cook: Vertigo
I've had this dsic in the carousel player. I wanted to pick a well recorded "normal" cd to compare my SACD player against. This Narada recording was just the ticket, the sound quality hold up very well against the hi-res recording (an SACD jazz sampler).

4) One Dove: Morning Dove White
Picked this up from a DAvey rec. S I've had it for a few weeks now. Th efirst track "Fallen" is killer, the remainder ain't bad either. it's growing...

5) Bob Dylan : Time Out of Mind
Haven't spun this one in a while.

Another thing I wanted to post about is a show I missed out on last night in Philadelphia. The Twilight Singers played a small club called The Northstar. My buddy from work went and told me it was a great show. He also said they played until 1:30, so I'm kinda gald I didn't go, but at the same time, I would have loved to see this show. Apparently the Twilight Singers are putting together a covers album and they played several last night. Eclectic selections includig: Forbidden Fruit (Billie Holiday), Purple Rain, a Bjork song, a Martina Tpley Bird song, as well as excerpts from "Don't Fear the Reaper", Layla, and an Outkast song!
greg Duhli was in typical form cracking sarcastic comments about the city of Philadelphias sports teams as well as Mel Gibsons "The Passion of Christ". Oh, well maybe next time they come to town, it will be a weekend.

So what's playing where you are??

P.S.: Sorry 'bout the typos, but I'd arther go listen to some more tunes than make corrections! ;)

DarrenH
04-02-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm listening to Deep Purple's In Rock as I type.

Just received Crypic Vision's Moments of Clarity today and that's gonna be next.

Radiohead's OK Computer will most likely be after that.

Darren

mad rhetorik
04-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Alice in Chains/Jerry Cantrell comp. That 'favorite metal band' thread might have had something to do with this selection :)

I definitely dig Alice In Chains. One of Seattle's "Big Four," they were more metal than alternative or punk, but they were conveniently placed under the umbrella of "grunge" anyway. <b>Dirt</b> is a near-masterpiece, and <b>Jar Of Flies</b> might be the only EP around that feels like a real album.

I haven't heard any of Cantrell's solo stuff, though I've been told that <b>Degradation Trip</b> is excellent, especially the 2-disc version that's being offered now. Apparently Jerry wanted it to be a double, but his record label forced him into making a single disc initially. Have you heard either album, and if so is it worth the cash?

ForeverAutumn
04-02-2004, 06:17 PM
A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step is on right now. But that'll be it for the evening for me. There's a lacrosse game on TV in 45 minutes.

I've been listening to a lot of old Bowie all day, trying to erase the crap Bowie played at last night's show from my brain and remind myself of why I love his music so much.

Darren, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the Cryptic Vision disk.

FA

mad rhetorik
04-02-2004, 06:20 PM
I've been listening to a lot of old Bowie all day, trying to erase the crap Bowie played at last night's show from my brain and remind myself of why I love his music so much.

What stuff did The Thin White Duke play, and did you stick around for The Polyphonic Spree?

DarrenH
04-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Now playing is Tull's Passion Play. The Mofi version. Excellent sound.

FA, the Cryptic Vision was....errr.... visionary ;) . Seriously, I could definitely hear Pink Floyd circa "The Wall" influences but Kansas, no. I couldn't relate. Spocks Beard however, oh yes, lots of similarities. This is only after one listen mind you. I need to spin it a few more times.

Hey Geezer, you need to hear this. I think you'd like it.

Darren

Dusty Chalk
04-02-2004, 06:49 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Zoot Woman (cool/groovy synthpop), The Muse (Queen meets Placebo), Auf der Maur (Garbage meets Drain STH).

Plus, I found the most depressing classical music disc in the world:

http://harmoniamundi.com/covers/HMC801799.jpg

I think I'll go listen to it again and contemplate suicide.

newtrix1
04-03-2004, 07:41 AM
I haven't heard any of Cantrell's solo stuff, though I've been told that <b>Degradation Trip</b> is excellent, especially the 2-disc version that's being offered now. Apparently Jerry wanted it to be a double, but his record label forced him into making a single disc initially. Have you heard either album, and if so is it worth the cash?

At one time I had (or borrowed, can't remember) Boggy Depot. I added 7 tracks from that album on to the back end of an AiC comp that I had in the making. The songs I plucked are; Cut You in, Jesus Hands, Keep the Lights on, Satisfy, Hurt a Long Time, Between, and Cold Piece. That last track Cold Piece is an 8 1/2 minute spacey blues rock gem with some really interesting guitar work. It alone may be worth the price of admission, especially since you can pick this album up cheap on the used market (HALF.COM).

I've had Degradation Trip on my wishlist for a long time, but other stuff always seems to usurp it. I was recently discussing DT with a coworker who said he was going to pick it up. If he does get it, I'm sure I'll get a chance to check it out and I'll let you know.

Stone
04-03-2004, 08:45 AM
I haven't had time to do much listening. And last night I had the pleasure of seeing Home on the Range. Wow, what a classic. My four-year-old says he liked it, but he also fell asleep during it. Even if you have little kids, don't waste your time/money.

I've been listening to this in my car the last couple of days:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc800/c847/c847687ammk.jpg

What a damn fine album, and one I hadn't listened to in probably at least 5 years. The songwriting, arrangements, and production (all done by Ms. Bush) are all great.

Jim Clark
04-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Open range is a snoozer. At the theater with a really big screen I imagine that the vistas are spectacular. The movie blows big time though.

Painting right now (cept for this break) and playing some Alexi Lalas toons a buddy thought I should hear...he was a pretty flashy defender wasn't he?

See I got a package from CA in the mail today. Somebody called Fat Bastard? or something like that. Guess what's next.

jc

PPG
04-04-2004, 06:05 AM
3) Jesse Cook: Vertigo
I've had this dsic in the carousel player. I wanted to pick a well recorded "normal" cd to compare my SACD player against. This Narada recording was just the ticket, the sound quality hold up very well against the hi-res recording (an SACD jazz sampler).

newtrix, if you enjoy both acoustic guitar chops like Jesse Cook along with sound quality above reproach, you might be interested in a disc by an acoustic fingerstylist named Pat Kirtley, "Brazilian Guitar". In an email response I got from him, he told me that he was a recording engineer himself for several years and when he recorded the album, he and the engineers went to great pains to make sure it was the best possible recording. When I play this on my system with the little Optimus LX-5's, this disc fools me into thinking I'm listening to much bigger speakers. Here's a link: http://www.accentonmusic.com/cd_detail.asp?qID=105