Need HELP choosing some speakers! ASAP [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP choosing some speakers! ASAP

patrick.1359
05-02-2010, 04:14 PM
I have decided to get some new (used) speakers. I have a few choices and I need to make up my mind soon. Theses are my only option, and I am not sure which one to get. My current setup right now is a Denon AVR-3801 reciever, Klipsch 10' subwoofer, and B&W Rock Solid Bookshelf Speakers (Original from 199_ something.) I now have these option for my next speakers and I am not sure which ones to get...

B&W DM303

Paradigm Atom V.3

Paradigm Atom V.2

I am not sure which one would be best for my setup, and it is mostly used for listening to high quality music, and some home theater. I also want to make sure it is going to be better the what I have right now.

Thank Guys!

Nasir
05-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I am sure our mob will offer their opinions more freely if you give us an idea on how much one has to spend on speakers. I have heard good bookshelf speakers like the KEF, Quad, Mourdant Short, Wharfdale, B&W..... but without a ball park figure we might be tempted to suggest some exotic name brands with a price tag to match!

blackraven
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
If I had to pick between the one's you listed, it would be the B&W's.

http://hometheatermag.com/compactspeakers/96/index1.html

TheHills44060
05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
I second the B&W's...

blackraven
05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I actually had a pair of 303's to use as rear channel speakers when I bought my LCR-3 center channel. I ended up returning the 303's because I decided against using rear's.
I thought he 303's has good sound and clarity. I think that for a budget system they would be great if paired with a decent sub.

Nasir
05-08-2010, 04:09 PM
Some more speakers that come to mind :Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Mission, Epos. I did own the Sony SS-LA 500ED bookshelf speakers that sounded better on stands than just on the supplied pedestals. A subwoofer with inputs from the amplifier and output to these speakers after passing through the internal crossover worked quite well and helped in keeping the bass in check. In fact I even connected this setup to a DIY Tube ( Valve ) amplifier and was pleasantly surprised by the puny 25 Watt per channel and heavier than your average amplifier kit. There probably are forums where heated debates rage for and against the Valve Amps, but there is an audible difference between the Solid State and Tube amp and I līll leave it to the listenerīs taste and judgement as to what works for him/her.