Using component video cables for audio [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Using component video cables for audio

Breezer88888
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Now that HDMI is used widely, what do we do with our component video cables? Sounds funny, but I'm a little emotionally attached to them. Can they be used as audio interconnects for multi-channel analog (since my receiver is not HDMI)? I don't see why not. Any thoughts on the pros or cons of trying this?

markw
04-29-2010, 03:17 AM
Now that HDMI is used widely, what do we do with our component video cables? Sounds funny, but I'm a little emotionally attached to them. Can they be used as audio interconnects for multi-channel analog (since my receiver is not HDMI)? I don't see why not. Any thoughts on the pros or cons of trying this?Not a problem. They are more than up to the task of passing simple analog audio.

Hairsonfire
04-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I have several pairs. We are talking about the R G B wires right? Heck, I think I even have a couple or "S" video cables hanging around!

markw
04-29-2010, 10:37 AM
I have several pairs. We are talking about the R G B wires right? Heck, I think I even have a couple or "S" video cables hanging around!Good luck getting those S-video cables to it into those RCA jacks, but they would work if you could.

Breezer88888
04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes, that's Red-Green-Blues. I'm good as long as I don't get too confused with the colors.

No thoughts on what to do with all my S-Video cables. But they've served their purpose - their day is done.

pdhanwada
05-07-2010, 04:07 AM
I have 15 Ft component video cables. I would want to convert them into 2 m Interconnects. These were bought from Blue jeans cable.com

Are the interconnects and Component video cable made up of same thing.

If So I am facing a problem. THe connectors are very tightly soldered/attached to the wire and I cant detach them from the cable.

Let me know how do I go about it.

Thanks
pandu

GMichael
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I have several component video cables in use for audio. Two sets of 1.5' cables are being used for my SACD. There are exceptionally heavy duty.

rob_a
05-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Totally keep them, some of those RGB freebee cables are made pretty beefy, they make great 5.1 analog interconnects. As far as S-video goes, toss them, who is still running S-video :frown2:

Breezer88888
05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Just want to let you all know that my component video cables worked for my 7.1 analog set-up. I used two sets of component video and two composite video, all decent (mid-priced) quality. It may be over the top, but I'm very glad with the results and that the cables are put to good use. Otherwise they would have been left unused. Waste not, want not!

02audionoob
05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I think you did good.

hermanv
05-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Since component video cables are mostly 75 Ohm transmission lines, they will work fine in a low impedance solid state environment. Vacuum tube equipment might be less friendly towards them. 75 Ohm cables tend to have a high capacitance, of course some high end audio cables also have a high capacitance per foot.

It's certainly harmless to try them out, as they say "if it sounds good, it is good".

02audionoob
05-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Since component video cables are mostly 75 Ohm transmission lines, they will work fine in a low impedance solid state environment. Vacuum tube equipment might be less friendly towards them. 75 Ohm cables tend to have a high capacitance, of course some high end audio cables also have a high capacitance per foot.

It's certainly harmless to try them out, as they say "if it sounds good, it is good".

Blue Jeans Cable site says, "...video cables, being designed to a 75 ohm characteristic impedance, are relatively low in capacitance..."

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/LC1-design-notes.htm

hermanv
05-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Blue Jeans Cable site says, "...video cables, being designed to a 75 ohm characteristic impedance, are relatively low in capacitance..."

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/LC1-design-notes.htm

Normal audio cables are often 600 impedance, the only way to lower this is by increasing capacitance or by decreasing inductance. Inductance tends to be bad in cables so lower is often better..

Any decent manufacturer will list pF/foot, look it up. use a value similar to what you already know to work in your system.

hotrodder000
05-28-2010, 12:24 PM
ive used mine to create a fence in my back yard...