progressive scan DVD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : progressive scan DVD

ken_p_young
04-02-2004, 01:42 PM
I am budget minded ($200 or less) and looking for a progressive scan DVD player. I did some research and thought I had decided on a Pioneer DV-563A. I went to buy it, but decided against it only because it does not come in black. This probably seems trivial, but I want a black DVD player to match the other components in my rack. Multiple audio formats are not really that important to me, I only want a new DVD for the progressive scan option. Any suggestions in my price range, that also comes in black?

poneal
04-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Not sure of the quality but you sure cant beat the price. Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000BV0XV/ref%3Dnosim/techbargainscom/002-8045261-4660840

woodman
04-02-2004, 07:19 PM
I am budget minded ($200 or less) and looking for a progressive scan DVD player. I did some research and thought I had decided on a Pioneer DV-563A. I went to buy it, but decided against it only because it does not come in black. This probably seems trivial, but I want a black DVD player to match the other components in my rack. Multiple audio formats are not really that important to me, I only want a new DVD for the progressive scan option. Any suggestions in my price range, that also comes in black?

Let's get really basic here. Do you have a TV set/monitor that will accept a progressive scan video signal? Just so you know, the TV must be capable of a 31.5KHz horizontal scanning speed (double the "standard" 15.75KHz speed). Unless you have such capability in your TV, your search for a black DVD player is irrelevant at this point in time.

So, what is the TV set that you're gonna be connecting the new DVD player to?

ken_p_young
04-05-2004, 04:34 AM
Let's get really basic here. Do you have a TV set/monitor that will accept a progressive scan video signal? Just so you know, the TV must be capable of a 31.5KHz horizontal scanning speed (double the "standard" 15.75KHz speed). Unless you have such capability in your TV, your search for a black DVD player is irrelevant at this point in time.

So, what is the TV set that you're gonna be connecting the new DVD player to?

The DVD player will be connected to a Mitsibushi rear projection HD monitor.

magictooth
04-05-2004, 07:55 AM
The DVD player will be connected to a Mitsibushi rear projection HD monitor.

Then you need to figure out whether the new DVD player's deinterlacer is better than your TV's. In many cases, your monitor will have a better deinterlacer. When you use progressive outputs on your DVD player, you bypass your TV's internal deinterlacer, and can end up with a worse result.

wasch_24
04-06-2004, 03:50 AM
Then you need to figure out whether the new DVD player's deinterlacer is better than your TV's. In many cases, your monitor will have a better deinterlacer. When you use progressive outputs on your DVD player, you bypass your TV's internal deinterlacer, and can end up with a worse result.
It also will depend on the DVD you are watching. I have a Mitsu ws65711 and some DVD's actually look better when I change my DVD player to 480i and let the TV handle the deinterlacing. Depending on the model of your Mitsu it probably wouldn't matter much what type of player you have. If ,when you enter the TV's settings menu, you see a choice for video type or signal type then it will perform deinterlacing for you. I'm not saying it will always be better then the prog scan DVD player. It totally depends on the way the movie was transfered to the DVD. This article is a long read but it gives you a good idea of how progressive scan works and why it can vary from player to TV and dvd to dvd: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

Hope this helps.

magictooth
04-06-2004, 08:38 AM
It also will depend on the DVD you are watching. I have a Mitsu ws65711 and some DVD's actually look better when I change my DVD player to 480i and let the TV handle the deinterlacing. Depending on the model of your Mitsu it probably wouldn't matter much what type of player you have. If ,when you enter the TV's settings menu, you see a choice for video type or signal type then it will perform deinterlacing for you. I'm not saying it will always be better then the prog scan DVD player. It totally depends on the way the movie was transfered to the DVD. This article is a long read but it gives you a good idea of how progressive scan works and why it can vary from player to TV and dvd to dvd: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html

Hope this helps.

I think that the differences between the actual DVD <i>player's</i> decoder and the TV's decoder are possibly signifcant. The differences between DVD <i>discs</i> aren't all that noticeable except in rare and extreme circumstances. If a DVD is encoded poorly and the flags are all messed up, maybe a poor deinterlacer will outperform a better one, but generally, you'll find that a good deinterlacer outperforms a poor deinterlacer on all the discs that you'll ever watch.

wasch_24
04-06-2004, 08:55 AM
I think that the differences between the actual DVD <i>player's</i> decoder and the TV's decoder are possibly signifcant. The differences between DVD <i>discs</i> aren't all that noticeable except in rare and extreme circumstances. If a DVD is encoded poorly and the flags are all messed up, maybe a poor deinterlacer will outperform a better one, but generally, you'll find that a good deinterlacer outperforms a poor deinterlacer on all the discs that you'll ever watch.

Also there is really no way to know when you buy it if the DVD is flagged weird. The two most extreme cases of poor 480p form my Yamaha DVD-C740 were Signs and U571. Both were fine using the TV's deinterlacer though.