DVD Player: Bulit in DTS & DD decoder vs. No built in DTS & DD. Differences? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player: Bulit in DTS & DD decoder vs. No built in DTS & DD. Differences?

JSE
11-24-2003, 08:36 AM
I am currently without a digital receiver for at least another 6 months, but I do have an older Pro-Logic receiver. My DVD player just bit the dust so I am looking for a new one. My questions is this: Would a DVD player with built-in DTS and Dolby Digital decoders allow me to have digital sound in my 5.1 setup even though I do not have a digital receiver? And if so, how?

I am currently looking at the Panasonic DVD F65 and F85. The F85 has the built in decoders, the F65 does not.

Thanks,

JSE

markw
11-24-2003, 08:53 AM
Some later higher end DPL receivers anticipated the impending 5.1 market and offered "direct" inputs on the back whereby they could take 5 or 6 channels (and the LFE output) from a DVD player.

If your receiver has these (RTOM), then you could avail yourself of the unit with built in DD/DTS decoders.

If your receiver does not have these, then you'll only be able to take a two channel output (like a CD) and still have DPL. Hey, it's better than nothing.

IMHO, unless your receiver allows a direct 5.1 input, I would not bother getting a DVD platyer with the built in decoders. You'll just be duplicating these circuits when you get a receiver.

Over50
11-24-2003, 08:57 AM
I believe you need at the very least a dolby digital ready receiver. I could be wrong.

recoveryone
11-24-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm no expert, but I think you would need a receiver that is aleast digital ready. Meaning it has digital inputs for a DVD that has it own DD/DTS decoders. WIthout that you will be using the L/R rca plugs in analog mode and only get Prologic surround.

Does you receiver have a digital input or the 6 analog inputs both may work, but if all you have is the L/R rca inputs no hope for you then.

FAIELLO
11-24-2003, 09:37 AM
The Panasonic F85 will also give you multichannel DVD Audio along with the DD and DTS decoders and the F65 only gives you 2 channel DVD Audio. For a difference of $30-50 I would get the F85.

JSE
11-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Markw,

I am not sure if my receiver is able to receive 5 or 6 channels direct from the DVD player, but I will check. The receiver was a higher end Onkyo Integra TX-SV909 PRO. It does have a sub out, but no real sub control.
What exactly should I look for to see if this will work. Sorry, anything beyond basic hookup is still fairly new to me.

Thanks again for everyone's replies. I think I will get the F85 as FAIELLO suggested for the DVD-Audio. It's only $20 bucks more.

JSE

TinHere
11-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Thanks again for everyone's replies. I think I will get the F85 as FAIELLO suggested for the DVD-Audio. It's only $20 bucks more.

JSE

If your are also interested in SACD also, the Pioneer DV-563 is a reasonably priced universal player that may be worth a look.

markw
11-24-2003, 12:47 PM
IMHO, unless your receiver DOES have these inputs, the DVD PLAYER with DD/DTS built in will be worthless to you. Both now AND when you buy the newer receiver.

markw
11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
If your receiver is "Dolby Digital Ready", it will have 6 or 7 RVA jacks on the back and they will be marked for an input signal from an external decoder. Again, the best advice I can offer is to RTOM.

IMHO, unless your receiver DOES have these inputs, the receiver with DD/DTS built in will be worthless to you. Both now AND when you buy the newer receiver.

FAIELLO
11-24-2003, 01:09 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMHO, unless your receiver DOES have these inputs, the DVD PLAYER with DD/DTS built in will be worthless to you. Both now AND when you buy the newer receiver.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he gets his new receiver he will use the 5.1 analog outputs for DVD-Audio. Go with the F85.
If your are also interested in SACD also, the Pioneer DV-563 is a reasonably priced universal player that may be worth a look.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the Pioneer DV563A that has DVD-Audio and SACD I got it at CC for $180 "Great Unit". But it is only a single disc unit, which is fine with me. But it sounds like JSE wants a 5 disc model.

markw
11-24-2003, 01:54 PM
I didn't catch the part about DVD-Audio.

But, why go half way? If he's gonna go for the multi-channel audio featutres, he should go all the way and shoot for SACD also. No telling which, if any, of those formats is gonna be around in a few years.

I do hear that some of those entry level Pioneer do-all units have some strange bass management, though.

JSE
11-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks Markw and FAIELLO, and TinHere,

I understand the DTS/DD may end up being worthless but for $20 more I can get DVD-Audio. The Pioneer sounds like a good deal, but I need a 5-Disc changer, per Wife's requirements. (Married guy's will understand!) My wife want's to be able to "Shuffle" between randon tracks on random CDs and the Panasonic is one of the only ones I know has this feature. At least one of the only reasonably priced ones.

Markw,

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I needed. I am at the office now so I don't have the manual to look at but I am sure I can figure it out tonight.

Thanks Again guys!

JSE
11-24-2003, 02:04 PM
Markw,

Ooops, missed your last post. I may check out the pioneer models. I just remembered my father has an Onkyo 6 disc CD changer that has the Shuffle feature on it at my folks lake house that I could steal. He does not use it anymore. That would make my wife happy. Then I could go for the DVD/DVD-A/SACD players. Hmmmmmm? Of course I will likely have to wait to use these feature until a new receiver comes.

Ahhh, it's sooo complicated!!!!!!

JSE