Driving a sub and sats with preamp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Driving a sub and sats with preamp

Hyfi
04-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Can this be done? Are there any subs out there that will take both right and left line level inputs and allow the sub amp to drive the sats?

I have an older Hafler Pre-Tuner and Amp but the amp has a hum problem and I am not sure if I want to repair it or not.

So I started thinking, why can't I just send the signal from the pre and let the sub deal with it but I'm probably grasping here.

pixelthis
04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Can this be done? Are there any subs out there that will take both right and left line level inputs and allow the sub amp to drive the sats?

I have an older Hafler Pre-Tuner and Amp but the amp has a hum problem and I am not sure if I want to repair it or not.

So I started thinking, why can't I just send the signal from the pre and let the sub deal with it but I'm probably grasping here.

Guess what?
ALL subs are built to run from a "pre-amp".
Thats what you're plugging a sub into when you plug it into the sub out on a receiver.
That is just a special "pre out" that puts out bass.
A sub should have a left and right input, every one I have seen does.
So no problem with the bass, but what are you going to use for the rest of the frequency
spectrum?
Powered speakers?
Maybe an old Bose "sub module" can do the job, but I doubt if it would sound very good.
And you dont want a sub amp running main speakers, they are not built for it.
Although you can run a broken sub from a receiver amp.
If you cant afford an amp right now, get powered speakers or fix your amp.
I would fix the amp, sounds like a filter capacitor in the power supply, used to filter out hum from AC power, not an expensive fix.
Dont know how expensive, tho.:1:

3LB
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
What's gonna power the sats? The sub amp will only cover frequencies up the top end of your cross-over.

The only subs I ever seen that powered sats as well was a computer set.

Did you check signal cables to the amp? Did you unplug the signal cables twix your pre and amp to see if the hum went away or stayed (in other words, does the amp hum with only the speakers hooked up)? Can you use alternate sources for input to the amp to troubleshoot? Have you patched the pre into another amp to see if the hum followed the pre?

Hyfi
04-26-2010, 05:28 PM
What's gonna power the sats? The sub amp will only cover frequencies up the top end of your cross-over.

The only subs I ever seen that powered sats as well was a computer set.

Did you check signal cables to the amp? Did you unplug the signal cables twix your pre and amp to see if the hum went away or stayed (in other words, does the amp hum with only the speakers hooked up)? Can you use alternate sources for input to the amp to troubleshoot? Have you patched the pre into another amp to see if the hum followed the pre?

yes to all the above. I'm pretty sure it's a cap as pix said but i cannot find a direct replacement without having to cut holes in the top grill and not be able to put the pre on top. I may take it to the guy who revived my Counterpoint, RBH Dezign, a mile from here.

I was just trying to cheat but pretty much knew the answer, just thought there may have been a tricked out sub somewhere just for this.

Hyfi
04-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Guess what?
ALL subs are built to run from a "pre-amp".
Thats what you're plugging a sub into when you plug it into the sub out on a receiver.
That is just a special "pre out" that puts out bass.
A sub should have a left and right input, every one I have seen does.
So no problem with the bass, but what are you going to use for the rest of the frequency
spectrum?
Powered speakers?
Maybe an old Bose "sub module" can do the job, but I doubt if it would sound very good.
And you dont want a sub amp running main speakers, they are not built for it.
Although you can run a broken sub from a receiver amp.
If you cant afford an amp right now, get powered speakers or fix your amp.
I would fix the amp, sounds like a filter capacitor in the power supply, used to filter out hum from AC power, not an expensive fix.
Dont know how expensive, tho.:1:

Thanks pix, i was just hoping for a miracle.
Like I replied to 3lb, I do think it's a cap or both.
Sats are some tiny Paradigms on their own little stands I bought for $35. They sound good but do need some bass.

Mr Peabody
04-26-2010, 07:16 PM
If you have the funds Martin Logan have a sweet set of powered speakers. They start at about $3k. They'll take your preamp signal and run with it.