NAD T752 Receiver - Listening Mode Problem? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD T752 Receiver - Listening Mode Problem?

JimN
04-02-2004, 09:42 AM
I think my NAD T752 Receiver might be defective. The problem: When using a two-channel stereo source, the only listening modes available to me are "Stereo", "Dolby PL", "Dolby PL II", "DTS Neo:6 Movie", and "DTS Neo:6 Music". I do not have access to "Downmix", "EARS", "Matrix 7.1", "Enhanced Stereo 1 (ST1)", or "Enhanced Stereo 2 (ST2)". According to the manual, all of these modes should be available when using a two-channel stereo source. The sources that I have tried include two-channel analog stereo connections from a Direct TV receiver, and also a CD player. Same issue when listening to a standard CD through a universal player, which is hooked up via digital optical input. When the universal player is outputting a digital bitstream, the receiver works as it should and automatically selects the proper listening mode (Dolby Digital, etc). I have tried unplugging the receiver to reset the microprocessor, but this has no effect. I only have mains, a center, and a sub connected. No surrounds, yet. Any ideas what might be going on here? Am I misunderstanding the manual?

Manual can be seen here: NAD T752 (http://207.228.230.231/manual/NAD-T752(ENG).pdf)
Listening Modes are addressed on pages 20-21.

Thanks in advance.

markw
04-02-2004, 10:57 AM
When you say "two channel stereo source", are you referring to an analog signal, passed via the red/white interconnects withe RCA plugs on the end??

This could include a CD player using it's internal DAC, a phono (via a preamp) to an auxillary high level input, your basic Hi-Fi Stereo VCR and even the sudio output from a stereo TV. there might even be others I didn't think of.

If so, then these are the only processing modes available to an analog source. The more glitzy modes are reserved for digital sources.

Others might be more familiar with your particular receiver and be able to offer more input.

JimN
04-02-2004, 12:23 PM
When you say "two channel stereo source", are you referring to an analog signal, passed via the red/white interconnects withe RCA plugs on the end??

This could include a CD player using it's internal DAC, a phono (via a preamp) to an auxillary high level input, your basic Hi-Fi Stereo VCR and even the sudio output from a stereo TV. there might even be others I didn't think of.

If so, then these are the only processing modes available to an analog source. The more glitzy modes are reserved for digital sources.

Others might be more familiar with your particular receiver and be able to offer more input.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I'm referring to an analog stereo signal. According to the manual, all of these listening modes should be available with a two-channel analog stereo source.

The modes reserved for digital sources, at least on this particular receiver, are Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, and DTS ES 6.1. These modes are available and working properly when I feed in a digital source.

I realize that this question is rather specific to my particular receiver. Hopefully someone out there who has one can offer some advice. NAD does not really have any online or phone tech support, and the store where I bought it is stumped by my question. I get the feeling that I missed something in the initial setup, which makes these modes available. I've read the manual over and over, and I'm just not finding the answer.