Hello, everybody [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello, everybody

glorifyday
04-26-2010, 03:19 AM
Greetings from a new member.

I am in the process of upgrading my stereo equipment. I started with buying decent loudspeakers (Mini Utopias) and now am looking for a decent, used amplifier to drive them, however my budget is currently limited.

My current budget equipment (Cambridge Audio 500) is performing surprisingly well with new speakers, howewer, I would like to get more clarity and sense of presence plus more intensive timbres, especially in orchestral pieces.

Considering my budget, I think of buying Accuphase E-206 or something similar. Any comments on that choice, please?

poppachubby
04-26-2010, 04:10 AM
Welcome to AR! You enter the room with a splash, Mini Utopias huh?!? They must sound marvelous.

You failed to tell us what your budget amount is, this will help. Also, are you objected to buying used?

The Accuphase E-206 is a real beast and if you want dynamics, that's what you'll get. Have you heard any tube amps at all?

Along the lines of the Accuphase, consider Krell S-300i as an alternative. Tons of power and dynamically rich, would make an excellent match for your speakers.

glorifyday
04-26-2010, 04:29 AM
I know that tube amplifiers are a good match with Focal in general. However, I am a bit scared with practical issues with the tubes and at the time being I would prefer to find some solid-state amp. Maybe in the future my attitude will change, I do not know.

I know of one solid state amplifier that is sounding perfectly with Focal. It is Jeff Rowland Concentra (I did listen to one matched with Electra 936 ant it sounded exceptional). However, its price exceeds my budget and this is not going to change fast...

Thus I would like to try with Accuphase. They are generally praised for musicality and rich timbres. This is more or less what I am looking for, provided that my impressions will be similar.

My listening practice with Accuphase is short: I was listening to some top Accuphase stuff matched with top Dynaudio loudspeakers on a show. They did sound very rich and musical, but I do not know if this is any hint for Mini Utopias + E-206?

Edit:
My budget is currently limited to about $1000 and this means I am rather looking for used equipment.
I live in Poland, so - for practical reasons - I am mainly searching Polish and German markets.

JoeE SP9
04-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Welcome to AR and good luck in your search for an am.