The Vanishing (Dutch vers.) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Vanishing (Dutch vers.)

dean_martin
04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Not long ago, amazon or some other retailer had select Criterion releases on sale. I ordered a copy of the original Dutch version of The Vanishing. You may remember the U.S. version with Keifer Sutherland, Jeff Bridges and Sandra Bullock. Bridges was creepy enough as the villain, but the ending was Hollywood-ized. It's been a few years since I saw the US vers. so I may miss some other obvious differences. Both have been out for a few years so there may be some spoilers below, but I've tried not to be too detailed in addressing main plot points.

Even after seeing the US version, the original seemed fresh, mysterious and intense. It has this air or ambience about it that my favorite foreign films have. This is "international cinema".

I'll start with what I thought was a weakness in the film. Rex's relationship sensibilities do not quite mesh with what I would expect, e.g., his post-vanishing relationship with the new woman is not quite believable given his inability to mask his obsession with finding his lost girlfriend. Anyhow this was minor and could be a cultural difference. Depending on your pov, it could be annoying or interesting. I found the protagonist (Rex) to be a little whiny for my tastes, but I could be desensitized. His search is not conducted in a workman-like manner, but in embarassingly emotional pleas. Emotional male leads are not all that prevalent in movies that appeal to guys. Besides, he's not the character I wanted to know more about. I think the US vers. may have focused more on this character as played by Sutherland.

The actor who played the villain does not have the presence that Jeff Bridges has (unfair comparison), but he was believable. Upon seeing him go through his routine the first time, it was like "what the hell is he doing?" Obviously, having seen the US vers, I already knew, which is a compliment to the way in which the villain is introduced. As the film progressed his mild mannerisms with his family and co-workers (one of whom confronts him) played well against his secret disturbing behavior. His coolness juxtaposed Rex's constant emotional state.

I loved the way the original was filmed. The European countryside is beautifully depicted. Most of the action takes place during the day which I think adds to the tension. Neither the abduction nor the confrontation at the end occur under cover of darkness. Showing the abduction in broad daylight with people around is simply brilliant. The tension builds almost from the beginning. I won't give it away, but an early night scene makes you think the bad stuff is about to happen before it actually does.

I've only seen the US vers. once. I've had no inclination to see it again or buy it. I might watch it again solely for comparison purposes but my preference is the original. See the original if you can or watch it again. Highly recommended.