Mid range a/v reciever, Sony STR-DH800 or Yamaha RX-V465BL ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mid range a/v reciever, Sony STR-DH800 or Yamaha RX-V465BL ?

Grosser611
04-23-2010, 04:25 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a mid range a/v reviever, I want the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD audio feature on it, thats about all for the specs, everything else at the price range that has that feature also has the other features I want. Are these the 2 best value players with this feature or are there others I should be looking at. %90 chance I'll be buying off Ebay Australia (as no stores in Australia come even close to these prices). I've found the Sony STR-DH800 for $380 including postage or the Yamaha for $450 including postage. Thanks for the help.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2010, 05:20 AM
I would not buy Sony. If your budget can stretch look at Yamaha rx-v565, the upgrade is the 565 has analog upconversion so you wouldn't have to run a second video connection in order to view the on screen display. As well you will need only one HDMI to the TV and all your video can go to the receiver and output via the HDMI. Another possibility is the Onkyo 507.

You should see if you can buy from Amazon.com, my friend bought the Yamaha 465 for about $259.00 U.S. dollars.

I don't like Sony due to reliability issues and until recently you had to buy nearly the top of the line in order to get a fully functional HDMI. It's just deceptive to put HDMI on a receiver and not have it do both audio and video as it was intended. All offered an entry level piece like this but I feel Sony took it to the extreme. Not a very good attitude for a key member of the BDA.

bfalls
04-23-2010, 06:37 AM
I would not buy Sony. If your budget can stretch look at Yamaha rx-v565, the upgrade is the 565 has analog upconversion so you wouldn't have to run a second video connection in order to view the on screen display. As well you will need only one HDMI to the TV and all your video can go to the receiver and output via the HDMI. Another possibility is the Onkyo 507.

You should see if you can buy from Amazon.com, my friend bought the Yamaha 465 for about $259.00 U.S. dollars.

I don't like Sony due to reliability issues and until recently you had to buy nearly the top of the line in order to get a fully functional HDMI. It's just deceptive to put HDMI on a receiver and not have it do both audio and video as it was intended. All offered an entry level piece like this but I feel Sony took it to the extreme. Not a very good attitude for a key member of the BDA.

You're talking about Sony receivers manufactured during a period when many manufacturers were having difficulties with HDMI. I prefer Yamaha over Sony, because they have much better power supplies and capable of driving lower loads, providing a larger choice of speakers. But don't discount Sony. They are usually full-featured with comparable compliment of inputs, formats, adjustments. I have Yamaha, Denon, Sony and Onkyo receivers. For sound, I'd rate them Denon, Yamaha, Sony, then Onkyo. For utility, function, ease of use, I'd rate them Sony, Yamaha, Denon then Onkyo.

If you're interested, check out the Sony STR-DH810, instead of the DH800. It has HDMI 1.4 and ready for 3D. It's MSRP in the US is $399. I have a Sony STR-DA5300ES, which was their flagship at the time. It has 5 HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I can't think of any others at the time with more than one or two HDMI inputs. I have no complaints and Sony's support and service have been first rate. It works fine in my setup, but I later purchased an Emotive XPA-5 amp just to have more headroom since my speakers are 4ohm.

Mr Peabody
04-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Just earlier this year I was looking at receivers for my friend and the first 3 or 4 Sony were ruled out due to lack of function with HDMI. $399.00 was getting out of his range. To each their own but I can't see how you find Onkyo last in sound when they have the best output stage of any of the four brands you mentioned. I haven't read Denon specs on their entry level receivers but Onkyo is more true than either Sony or Yamaha. Onkyo gives full power band ratings20-20kHz where Sony and Yamaha are only at 1kHz.

Grosser611
04-23-2010, 08:41 PM
mmm the Yamaha rx-v565 is pushing $500 which is a bit over my budget.
And the Onkyo 507 is $450 w/out postage so unfortunately both are out of my price range.
I've also come across the pioneer - VSX519V for $300. But that doesn't do the Dolby TrueHD ey ?
Went on Amazon and couldn;t find ANY Yamaha 465 that sent to Australia (I generally dont bother with Amazon because I'm yet to find ANYTHING that will send to Australia or will send at a realistic price).
This is a "fully functional" HDMI though isn't it ?
Whats the BDA by the way ? :o
Ah thats good to hear, I'm not particuarly good with these types of things so ease of use will be a high priority (although I would still like some adjustment).
Is there anything particuarly bad about the Sony STR-DH800
I checked out the Sony STR-DH810 also but it was a little over $500 also.
Whats HDMI 1.4 ? :o
I dont plan to buy a 3D t.v. anytime soon as I just bought my Panasonic Full HD plasma about a year ago and am still enjoying that (also I'm young and cant waste all my money on upgrading electronics all the time).
One of the main reasons I'm likeing the sony is that, well its the cheapest of the lot but also it can do 7.1 where as most other stuff at theis price point is only 5.1 so its giving me a little more room for expansion.
Looking forward to hearing both your replies :)

Mr Peabody
04-23-2010, 09:17 PM
BDA=Blu ray Disc Ass-O-ciation.

Go ahead and get the Sony str-d800 it is a good price because of being older model and has most features you would need. Looks like your choices are limited. The 800 received 4.4 out of 5 with 76 reviews on Amazon so what do I know :) The 800 even has auto speaker set up which is nice if you are just getting started.

Grosser611
04-23-2010, 11:24 PM
ah ok thanks both for your help, I'll be purchasing it wihin the next couple weeks.
*edit, I was planning to purchase a set of energy take 5.0 speakers (yes I realise there is no sub included) but due to availability problems (there is only 1 store in the whole of AUSTRALIA which sells them and its at a hugely overinflated price), I wont be purchasing them anymore :( pretty dissapointed. What sort of a reputation does Kenwood have in HT ? I'm looking at the Kenwood KS-2200HT-B but at about 1 fifth the price of the energy's I'm worried they wont sound any good. I know Kenwood make reasonable mainstream speakers but I was hoping to pick uo something special (which is why I was going the energy's). These are only $129 Aus but I'll spend up to $350 (this probly seems pretty stingy to you guys but to an 18 year old student who already has the best HT set up out of anyone I know its a fair bit to spend).

blackraven
04-24-2010, 10:20 AM
Buy the Energy's and add a sub of your choice. Another option would be to do a nicer 3.1 system with 2 front speakers, a center and a sub. Or you can do a 4.1 sytem without a center channel. You could buy better quality speakers then if you went 5.1. I use a 3.1 system because I dont want 6 speakers in my family room. Take a look at infinity Primus 162's and 152's., PSB B-15's, PSB Alpha B-1's, NHT Zero's, Boston Acoustics CS26's.

Grosser611
04-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Any comment on the Kenwood system ?
While I was looking on a high end speaker site I came across a brand called Canton, I could get a "Canton 5.1 Speaker Package - Movie 60 CX Black" for $520, could you check that out for me ?
A lot of those speakers you named are unavailable in Australia (thats surprizingly uncommon in Australia for us not to be able to purchase these high end companies products), I did however find the PSB Alpha CLR1 center speaker for $219 (the Alpha B1's were $400 which was a bit to much considering i'd still need another pair at least). And a pair of PSB Alpha LR1 Speakers for $269 so that'd make $490 before postage so we'll call it $500 for the 3 speakers, still without a sub though. but thats still at my budget limit, and only a 3.0 system, am I aiming too high in the product range for my measley budget and buying options ? By the way you say you use a 3.1 system so you obviously have the center speaker at the front, the sub there and are the other 2 at the front too ? If so its not really surround sound but how does it perform ? I really want 4.1 or 5.1 so can make my room truely surround sound.

Mr Peabody
04-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Kenwood has been out of home audio for years now. Either those are old stock or rebadged JVC. Kenwood didn't make very good speakers.

The Canton however would be a very good choice. They have over achieving midrange but with a sub and using it for home theater they will be excellent. Actually they are very good for music as well but some are caught off guard or don't appreciate the forward midrange. The sound gives a realistic presence to the music though.

blackraven
04-24-2010, 07:32 PM
I don't feel that I'm missing too much with 3.1. Its the sub that makes it fun with special effects. But I'm more into 2ch audio and the HT is for my family. You could do 4.1 now and buy a center later. Or do a nice 3.1 system and add the rear speakers at a later date when you have the money. This way you will have a better sounding system in the long run.

These infinity's would be a good start.

http://www.c-t.com.au/infinity/home-products/primus-ii