Ferrite Magnets [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ferrite Magnets

rob_a
04-22-2010, 07:15 AM
I have been looking into Ferrite Beads to use on my Power cables. what's your opinion about them? Do you think they work and what all are they good for???
Do they really reduce EMI interference and what not??? I have seen them on PCs, USB cables and HDMI cables, Can they be used on ICs or speaker cables??? Are they just hype??? :confused:

Thanks!

Feanor
04-22-2010, 07:48 AM
I have been looking into Ferrite Beads to use on my Power cables. what's your opinion about them? Do you think they work and what all are they good for???
Do they really reduce EMI interference and what not??? I have seen them on PCs, USB cables and HDMI cables, Can they be used on ICs or speaker cables??? Are they just hype??? :confused:

Thanks!
They work, that's why you see them used so much on the types of cable you mentioned. However my understanding is that they block a limited range of frequencies, i.e. not over 1 gigahertz or maybe lower. So they might not block the popular 2.4 GHz band for example.

TheHills44060
04-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Ferrite beads, ferrite impregnated cable jackets, etc...Many manufacturers utilize ferrite but i have never had an instance where obvious EMI/RFI existed with a cable that was suddenly corrected with the addition of ferrite. So unless you hear a problem i'm not sure I'd go out of my way to purchase some. Others may have had more dramatic experiences.

Glen B
04-22-2010, 08:11 AM
I second the above opinion. Unless you have a specific RF noise problem that needs to be addressed, forget about ferrite beads.

rob_a
04-22-2010, 11:31 AM
That good to know, thanks for the replies. I have never messed with them but have read that some people have put them on their power cord to reduce crosstalk to other devices.