Gear they'd have to pry from your cold, dead fingers! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gear they'd have to pry from your cold, dead fingers!

Ajani
04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
Just more of my usual random thoughts:

What HiFi products have impressed you so much, that the only way you'll replace them is when they eventually stop working? Or worst case, would find a home in your second system, but you would never sell, trade or dispose of while they still function....

I'm not a remotely sentimental person when it comes to electronics, furniture or homes... I have no issue with tossing everything and starting over... However one component has survived in my system and I know will survive the next upgrade cycle as well: My Benchmark DAC1.... Having served faithfully as DAC and Headphone Amp for my Cans for about 2 years, it now serves as DAC and Preamp for my 2 channel system... Despite my amp being my latest purchase, I'm sure I'll upgrade the amp long before I'd consider moving the DAC1 to a second system...

So what gear are you unwilling to part with?

JohnMichael
04-21-2010, 05:38 PM
I would have to say the Krell s300i. I think it is the most transparent audio product I have ever owned. The Krell drives the Mo Fi OML's and Monitor Audio RS6's very well. A product that can easily support steps up in source and speakers.

LeRoy
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I am unwilling to part with:

1) Mordaunt-Short Avant 902i speakers
2) Stello DA 100 (DAC)
3) Stello CDT 100 (Transport)
4) My system of connectivity all from Blue Marble Audio: Speaker wire, IC's, and digital coax.

The M.S. are an incredibly musical speaker for the price point,$225.00/pr.. The Stello gear when paired together have a very unique connectivity feature. With the Stello there is DIN connector which through 4 conductors separates the audio signals (Word Clock, Bit Clock, Data, Master Clock) from the CDT to the DAC. Lastly, I think the BMA wire is some of the best I've heard and in my opinion quite a $ bargain too. It's the wire that is the difference in my system which by way of excellent signal transfer enables my whole system to sound the way it's supposed to.

LeRoy

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 12:14 AM
At this point my Golden Tube SE-40 will be for life. I plan to get another and go dual mono. With all of the possible tube rolling, I haven't even got started with it.

http://www.soniccraft.com/images/GoldenTube-SE40-1.jpg

Feanor
04-22-2010, 03:52 AM
Magneplanar MG 1.6QR speakers.

Well, it would be more precise to say some dipole planar in that price range. No "box" speaker I can imagine can produce what I"m looking for, for the type of music I listen to. So for example the MG 1.7 sounds like a great choice, (at least according to Jonathan Valin, et al.).

Worf101
04-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Modded Epicure 14's
Ohm Walsh F's
Platinum Audio Studio 3's

Any low dirt bastards found within filching range of these speaks will be summarily executed, flogged, dragged through the streets and forced to watch hidden videos of Starr Jones and Rosie O'Donuts swappi' spit!

So let it be written.....

So let it be done!

Worf

RGA
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
I would say my Audio Note OTO. The EL84 tube compliment has a certain beguiling presentation that is tough to leave. There are better amps which may push it to a second system but several amps have been through and some are very good - but so far none have taken it down. I wish it looked nicer. The TT2 won't go anywhere either unless it's traded for a TT3 and I need to marry money or win a lottery for that to happen.

rob_a
04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
At this point my Golden Tube SE-40 will be for life. I plan to get another and go dual mono. With all of the possible tube rolling, I haven't even got started with it.

http://www.soniccraft.com/images/GoldenTube-SE40-1.jpg

That’s a very nice amp you have, I wouldn't part with it either.

rob_a
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM
The only audio product(s) I have and will never part with are a set a Custom built bookshelf speaker I made a little while back. I am using them at work for a desk top system. These little speaker sounds DAMN good!!!

Made out of 3/4 MDF(with a bubinga veneer) they sport a 5" HiVi M5N aluminum/magnesium driver, rear firing 2" ported, 1" soft dome tweeter made by bluesky(vary natural sounding) and crossed at 3500hz.

I have them hooked up to a little 10w tube amp. The sound is silk, so smooth and natural to the ears. I think I enjoy listening to them more then my T6's at home :15:

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
That’s a very nice amp you have, I wouldn't part with it either.

Thank you Rob. I would like to add that as much as I love it, i am not willing to die for for it. With the right approach, like a gun perhaps, it could be taken from my warm, living hands.

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
The only audio product(s) I have and will never part with are a set a Custom built bookshelf speaker I made a little while back. I am using them at work for a desk top system. These little speaker sounds DAMN good!!!

Made out of 3/4 MDF(with a bubinga veneer) they sport a 5" HiVi M5N aluminum/magnesium driver, rear firing 2" ported, 1" soft dome tweeter made by bluesky(vary natural sounding) and crossed at 3500hz.

I have them hooked up to a little 10w tube amp. The sound is silk, so smooth and natural to the ears. I think I enjoy listening to them more then my T6's at home :15:

Pics?

rob_a
04-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Pics?

I will try, I can never get pics posted :mad:

Ajani
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Thank you Rob. I would like to add that as much as I love it, i am not willing to die for for it. With the right approach, like a gun perhaps, it could be taken from my warm, living hands.

Disgraceful! You sound like a SS Lover pretending to be Tube Fan! No true Tube lover would let a minor annoyance like a gunshot part them from their amp!!!

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey I don't have to pretend, my Marantz 1515 greets me every morning.

GMichael
04-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a set of speakers that I would never get rid of. I would like to move them to a 2 channel only system though. The manufacturer never did get around to making the matching center and surrounds.
I am not mentioning their names though. At this point, I would not want to give them the free advertizement. As much as I love these speakers, many people have had deals go bad with this manufaturer and I would hate to see that happen to anyone because of me.

Ajani
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey I don't have to pretend, my Marantz 1515 greets me every morning.

Until you take a few shots to the chest, I'm not going to be convinced! :devil:

Ajani
04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a set of speakers that I would never get rid of. I would like to move them to a 2 channel only system though. The manufacturer never did get around to making the matching center and surrounds.
I am not mentioning their names though. At this point, I would not want to give them the free advertizement. As much as I love these speakers, many people have had deals go bad with this manufaturer and I would hate to see that happen to anyone because of me.

Can I guess??? Can I guess??? LOL... That manufacturer was supposed to have delivered many quality products before greed got the better of him...

I think moving the speakers to a 2 channel system would be a great move....

rob_a
04-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Pics?

here is a couple shots of my speaks. Man I love these guys!!!

The up close shot on the bottom came out weird???

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/43843/2581395660106431642S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/46531/2486211800106431642S425x425Q85.jpg

Ajani
04-22-2010, 01:59 PM

Have you tried the tube amp at home with your PSBs? And have you tried the custom speakers with the Emotiva? If not, then that might be an interesting test...

Jimmy C
04-22-2010, 02:29 PM
...for sound? I'm thinking my J.M.R. Twins Sigs will be with me for a while. Very satisfying, and quite frankly got me off the proverbial speaker "merry-go-round".

And for nostalgia, I'm keeping an old pair of Boston Acoustics A100s (ca. 1980). Bought new factory woofers, and now sitting in my closet. A bit of a shame, but almost perfect condition and they bring back a lot of memories.

I was going to keep my Revel M20s for the bedroom rig, but the wife knocked 'em over and put a nice ding in them... had to sell 'em.

By the way, that's technically FOUR things I'm holding on to...

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
Those look great Rob. Nice size too. What's the tube compliment in that little amp, looks cool.

rob_a
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Have you tried the tube amp at home with your PSBs? And have you tried the custom speakers with the Emotiva? If not, then that might be an interesting test...

I have plugged them in to my Emo upa-2 and my buddy's Emo xpa-5. Very nice!!!!, super natural, great dynamic range, large amount of head room, much bigger sounding for a small set of bookshelf speakers. they have a nice neutral tone with a touch of warmth, so with the tube amp it warms them up a little more (which I like). :biggrin5:

I have not tried my PSB's with the Tube amp, have not had the opportunity too since it just sits on my desk at work, never been home. I have a small set of two way PSB B25’s that I want to try it on.

frenchmon
04-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Ok...I gotta ask seeing I have gave serious consideration to the HiVi 8inch mid woofer. Is it all that? Can you describe its sound? And can you give us a rear shot of the speaker?

frenchmon

rob_a
04-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Those look great Rob. Nice size too. What's the tube compliment in that little amp, looks cool.

The pre's are NOS Westinghouse 6AX7 "Premium" tubes, don't forget the premium: :biggrin5:
and on the power side are the Chinese 6P1's which are a little tougher to roll.

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 04:33 PM
The pre's are NOS Westinghouse 6AX7 "Premium" tubes, don't forget the premium: :biggrin5:
and on the power side are the Chinese 6P1's which are a little tougher to roll.

Hehehe...

I think you meant Chinese Not So Premium 6P1's. It's ok, the excessive premium-ness of the premium tubes will result in a premium balance of premium sound. :shocked:

rob_a
04-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Ok...I gotta ask seeing I have gave serious consideration to the HiVi 8inch mid woofer. Is it all that? Can you describe its sound? And can you give us a rear shot of the speaker?

frenchmon

Well I have not heard the 8" but as far as the 5" goes, the sound is neutral, detailed, clear and natural with little to no coloring, pending on what your system sounds like. Very easy to drive. I am a fan. for the price they are worth it. not super high end but a great value!

with tube the highs and mids are very natural and clear and the bass is a little on the smooth side but thats tube for you. On SS amps the bass is a lot more detailed and tight and the mids and highs also tight and detailed, not bright sounding at all.

rob_a
04-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Hehehe...

I think you meant Chinese Not So Premium 6P1's. It's ok, the excessive premium-ness of the premium tubes will result in a premium balance of premium sound. :shocked:

They do a good job, must people I talked to about rolling them said they hold up to what is on the market, NOS is almost impossible to find since this tube is a rip of the Russian style 6P1R but has a little different pin layout so they will not interchange with each other without mods.What kind of cr@p is that :mad:

It would be nice to hear your Golden Tube SE-40 amp some day. 40 watts of pure tube :)

poppachubby
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
They do a good job, must people I talked to about rolling them said they hold up to what is on the market, NOS is almost impossible to find since this tube is a rip of the Russian style 6P1R but has a little different pin layout so they will not interchange with each other without mods.What kind of cr@p is that :mad:

It would be nice to hear your Golden Tube SE-40 amp some day. 40 watts of pure tube :)

You would love it. VERY listenable. Of course, perfect mids, natural and present bass. Highs are essentially rolled from the real high frequencies, but there's plenty of high end to keep the mix correct. They sell for roughly 550 - 700 in pristine/modded condition, keep your eyes peeled.

As for the tube rolling, the pin mod for the SE-40 is relatively straightforward. I bet if you set out to do it, you'd be surprised at how simple it is. Then you would have the freedom of tube rolling.

I'm sure it sounds lovely anyhow. I'm listening to Soundgarden right now and man oh man... soooooo bad azz!!!

jrhymeammo
04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
I agree. This is a good thread.
My answer is most of what I have at the moment, but tomorrow is a different story.
If I had to pick one, I would say Composite Products CF-2010 and Denon DL-110.

Worf101
04-23-2010, 04:55 AM
Now I'm curious as hell... PM me will ya? I just got's to know.

Worf

GMichael
04-23-2010, 06:38 AM
Can I guess??? Can I guess??? LOL... That manufacturer was supposed to have delivered many quality products before greed got the better of him...

I think moving the speakers to a 2 channel system would be a great move....

I doubt that many who know me, don't know what speakers I have. Not like I was shy about saying how much I loved them back in the day.

Maybe my daughter will get into Music and I'll pass these on to her, (if she's good).

rob_a
04-23-2010, 09:08 AM
You would love it. VERY listenable. Of course, perfect mids, natural and present bass. Highs are essentially rolled from the real high frequencies, but there's plenty of high end to keep the mix correct. They sell for roughly 550 - 700 in pristine/modded condition, keep your eyes peeled.

As for the tube rolling, the pin mod for the SE-40 is relatively straightforward. I bet if you set out to do it, you'd be surprised at how simple it is. Then you would have the freedom of tube rolling.

I'm sure it sounds lovely anyhow. I'm listening to Soundgarden right now and man oh man... soooooo bad azz!!!

I have seen a couple on Adiogon for sale, something I have to keep in mind! It was one of the best amps on the market at the time it came out, way under its value. I hope you are rocking out to some Black Hole Sun!!! I think I will crank up some Floyd, of SRV!

As far as pin mods, I think I will keep the stockers, since it is only a office system :arf:
but who knows, I might get the bug to mess with it :P

basite
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
my Mcintosh.

without a doubt.

frenchmon
04-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Well I have not heard the 8" but as far as the 5" goes, the sound is neutral, detailed, clear and natural with little to no coloring, pending on what your system sounds like. Very easy to drive. I am a fan. for the price they are worth it. not super high end but a great value!

with tube the highs and mids are very natural and clear and the bass is a little on the smooth side but thats tube for you. On SS amps the bass is a lot more detailed and tight and the mids and highs also tight and detailed, not bright sounding at all.

Thanks...you do know HiVi is the same company that makes Swan speakers?

frenchmon

rob_a
04-23-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks...you do know HiVi is the same company that makes Swan speakers?

frenchmon

Yes, I believe so. I have heard good things about Swan which helped me decide on the HiVi.

E-Stat
04-23-2010, 12:04 PM
JWhat HiFi products have impressed you so much, that the only way you'll replace them is when they eventually stop working?
Over the years, I have found a wide range of source and amplification components with which I could be very happy. My experience with speakers, however, is very different. It is only after thirty some years of searching that I finally found my soul mate in the Sound Lab U-1. In order of my preferences, they offer the coherency only a single driver speaker can deliver, are transparent as the best headphones, are dead neutral tonally, don't beam and offer genuine response down to 25 hz. For me, it just doesn't get any better - unless of course you're talking arrays of them. :)

rw

harley .guy07
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
My new ps-audio digi link 3 is probably one of my audio pieces that would qualify for this. It is awesome and it has made my system sound so much better. It has been one of the best upgrades I have ever made to this system.

Ajani
04-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Over the years, I have found a wide range of source and amplification components with which I could be very happy. My experience with speakers, however, is very different. It is only after thirty some years of searching that I finally found my soul mate in the Sound Lab U-1.

I think speakers are a far more personal choice than electronics... So finding that right pair could indeed take a lifetime...

In order of my preferences, they offer the coherency only a single driver speaker can deliver, are transparent as the best headphones, are dead neutral tonally, don't beam and offer genuine response down to 25 hz. For me, it just doesn't get any better - unless of course you're talking arrays of them. :)

rw

I have the same preferences (though not quite in that order)...

E-Stat
04-24-2010, 07:11 AM
I think speakers are a far more personal choice than electronics... So finding that right pair could indeed take a lifetime...
Double Dayton-Wright XG-8s came really close. Nelson Pass used them with his electronics at audio shows in the late 70s/early 80s.

I have the same preferences (though not quite in that order)...
That's the kind of information that is useful to have when placing someone's opinion in context. You'll note that 100 db output capability is not on my list. :)

rw

Ajani
04-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Double Dayton-Wright XG-8s came really close. Nelson Pass used them with his electronics at audio shows in the late 70s/early 80s.

That's the kind of information that is useful to have when placing someone's opinion in context. You'll note that 100 db output capability is not on my list. :)

rw

I wish review mags as well as forums would make it clear what persons sonic priorities, musical tastes and room sizes are... That kind of information is essential in order to understand someone's opinion....

100db is great for block parties but is never required for my listening levels... Though I own a monster amp (300 watts) paired with 90db speakers, the goal is not to irritate my neighbours (though it is nice to know I could do so, if I so desired)...

Full range sound, or as close as I can get to it, is near the top of my preferences. Actually, all of my preferences are in fairly equal proportion, so I need equipment that is competent all around, rather than excellent in a few areas and deficient in others. So while I could easily find inexpensive, low powered amplification that focuses on the midrange, those amps generally have weak dynamics... I have no doubt that at higher price points I could find 30 watt class A or tube amps that will shake the foundation when correctly matched with a moderately efficient speaker... So when I eventually buy products in that range, I'd switch from high power to more refined, lower power... Untill then, my Emotiva amp has a very nice balanced sound, which works well for the timebeing...

Sir Terrence the Terrible
04-24-2010, 02:28 PM
I guess I own a a lot of gear that fits this topic to a tee right now, but the list would be pretty long if I wrote it down here. But funny as this is, currently my PS3 60 and early 80gig with SACD capability is probably it right now, along with my recent introduction into 3D and 4K(or upscaled 1080p) video in the home. My PS3's kills in overall video and audio versatility, and it does it extremely well for the money I paid for them. When you think about the sheer amount of things it does(especially when you tweak it out), it is pretty mind boggling. It is a very competent multichannel SACD player(not high end by any means), and very good CD player with very low jitter measured from the drive, and first rate upconversion to 176.4khz during playback, DNLA capable so it can stream video, an excellent Bluray player, and an excellent high resolution Bluray audio disc player, and with an after market internet streaming program, gives you access to a huge amount of online video downloading and streaming content. Did I mention that it is a gaming device, a 3D gaming device to boot(after a future firmware upgrade) along with 3D movie viewing device as well? All of this for $500 bucks...what a bargain!

I recently got my hands on a Samsung BD-C6900 1080p 3D Blu-ray Disc Player, a LG-CF3D 3D projector, and a Samsung UN55C8000 55-Inch 3D television and starter kit just so I could see finally see what my video processor can do since it has been recently upgraded to both 3D and full implemented HDMI 1.4. While I purchased the Samsung television and Blu ray player, I am only evaluating the projector as I may purchase it for a upgrade to my large home theater in the future, and I wanted to try it out there. I got my hands on(via some friends in high places) a Blu ray copy of Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, Monsters and Aliens and will have access to 3 more Disney titles as well.

I do not care if you are projecting it, or watching it on a flat panel television, 3D takes movie watching on another level in the home, and when you pair it with 7.1 sound, that takes it up a notch as well. Both of these titles looked exactly like I remembered them in the theater in 3D. Monsters and Aliens was just a sample copy, so it only came with a lossy Dolby Digital soundtrack, and it also had a few very minor instances of image ghosting.

I have not made it a secret that I really enjoy 3D, and I could not wait to get it in my house once I saw it in the theater. It will probably be not for everyone, and certain not adaptable to every movie, but it has won me hands down from what the limited exposure I have had with the technology.

Will 3D succeed in the marketplace? Who knows! But I am willing to be that when most folks are ready to upgrade to their next television, it will probably be a 3D capable one as I think the feature is going to be on just about every television(both LCD and Plasma) made going into the next five years. With 60hz televisions disappearing rapidly, and 120hz becoming the new norm, it would make since for the 3D feature to be implemented on every television.

Right now, you are going to have to work mighty hard to pry these two things from my warm alive fingers let alone my cold dead ones.

E-Stat
04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I wish review mags as well as forums would make it clear what persons sonic priorities, musical tastes and room sizes are...
Providing such information was a regular policy at TAS in the 70s and the 80s with the reviewer friends I know. While some of my preferences are different from theirs, knowing that allows me to interpret their reviews even without discussing them in depth.

100db is great for block parties but is never required for my listening levels...
Nor mine! I avoid such abuse - or wear earplugs as I do when mowing the lawn or running the blower.

, those amps generally have weak dynamics... I have no doubt that at higher price points I could find 30 watt class A or tube amps that will shake the foundation when correctly matched with a moderately efficient speaker..
As for me, I find the treasure lies in the microdynamic world where the contrasts are still great, but excel at how quietly one can play not how loudly.

rw

Ajani
04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Providing such information was a regular policy at TAS in the 70s and the 80s with the reviewer friends I know. While some of my preferences are different from theirs, knowing that allows me to interpret their reviews even without discussing them in depth.

What I can't fathom is why TAS would stop that practice.... Opinions are virtually useless without context....

Nor mine! I avoid such abuse - or wear earplugs as I do when mowing the lawn or running the blower.

As for me, I find the treasure lies in the microdynamic world where the contrasts are still great, but excel at how quietly one can play not how loudly.

rw

Of real suprise to me has been how good my megawatt beast sounds at low volumes... My previous beast (Rotel RB-1080) sounded ok at low volumes but really came alive when you cranked it up... I find the XPA-2 to be very enjoyable during late night listening sessions at low volumes, which is not what I'd expect from high powered SS.... (of course I suspect that a low powered, higher quality amp would likely sound even better at low volumes though)....

poppachubby
04-25-2010, 11:08 AM
I could easily find inexpensive, low powered amplification that focuses on the midrange, those amps generally have weak dynamics... I have no doubt that at higher price points I could find 30 watt class A or tube amps that will shake the foundation when correctly matched with a moderately efficient speaker... So when I eventually buy products in that range, I'd switch from high power to more refined, lower power... Untill then, my Emotiva amp has a very nice balanced sound, which works well for the timebeing...

30 watts of pure class A, zero distortion amplification will drive moderately inefficient speakers also. You say your goal IS NOT to achieve huge db's, you will be surprised at just how loud these amps can play.

Dynaco A-25's require power to reach their full potential, hardly efficient but the SE-40 sends them up to deafening levels. But more importantly, they are dynamically satisfying. Sure they cater to the mid range, but that's where most music lives anyhow.

My local shop lent me a Scott Nixon Tube DAC today. I simply had to hear it. I have my Yamaha outputting to the DAC. I am listening to a CD of acoustic Chinese folk music. Oh yes, it's dynamic...

Ajani
04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
30 watts of pure class A, zero distortion amplification will drive moderately inefficient speakers also. You say your goal IS NOT to achieve huge db's, you will be surprised at just how loud these amps can play.

Dynaco A-25's require power to reach their full potential, hardly efficient but the SE-40 sends them up to deafening levels. But more importantly, they are dynamically satisfying. Sure they cater to the mid range, but that's where most music lives anyhow.

My local shop lent me a Scott Nixon Tube DAC today. I simply had to hear it. I have my Yamaha outputting to the DAC. I am listening to a CD of acoustic Chinese folk music. Oh yes, it's dynamic...

Good point... 30 watts should provide more than enough power for any speakers I'm considering purchasing... It'll be interesting to see how a Class A from Sugden, Pass Labs/First Watt or Monarchy Audio sounds compared to my MegaWatt Beast... I'll have to wait until the next upgrade cycle to find out though (as the current one hasn't even been completed)....

E-Stat
04-25-2010, 12:01 PM
What I can't fathom is why TAS would stop that practice...
It occurred when Harry lost control following a series of botched financial moves by his comptroller.

(of course I suspect that a low powered, higher quality amp would likely sound even better at low volumes though)....
Not necessarily with respect to power alone. So long as the more powerful amp is heavily biased into class A at low levels, the smaller amp may not have any advantage. The '81 Threshold Stasis used in the vintage system is really two amps in one chassis sharing the same output: there is a low powered class A voltage amp using four of the output devices per channel with a cascoded current mirror using the other twelve. At most levels, only the small voltage amp is used. I would readily agree, however, that Mr. Pass' latest single ended class A super symmetry XA.5 design would fare better than his earlier works.

rw