Rush Tour 2010 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Rush Tour 2010

Mr Peabody
04-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Rush will be here in August and tickets go on sale Saturday. Surprised no one has talked about the tour here. I am interested in trying to see this show because they will do Moving Pictures in it's entirety. It will be at an ampa-theater which may not sound great though and I'm dreading to see what the price of the tickets are going to be.

Any one else...news? opinions?

poppachubby
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM
I saw Rush at the Molson Amphitheatre in Toronto and it was nothing short of amazing. It's a state of the art facility. They are playing a fest near me in the summer and I am sure to go. It's a no brainer for you Peabody. Have you ever seen them before?

ForeverAutumn
04-20-2010, 05:21 PM
They are doing two nights in Toronto this summer and an AMEX pre-sale started this morning. But at $150 a pop (I don't sit in bad seats anymore), we've decided to take a pass this time around. We've seen them their last six tours plus a few times in the 80's. I'd love to see them again, but there are too many other expenses this year to justify a $300 concert.

I know I'm going to regret this decision, however.

bobsticks
04-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Geriatric Pterodactyls forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr Peabody
04-20-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm with you FA, if I'm going to shell out the bucks for a concert I want a decent seat. If tickets are that much here it will be a tough decision.

Poppa, I have not seen Rush before in concert. That, and the fact I know they will be doing at least some old material really makes me want to go but on the other hand I can't see paying mega bucks for a concert ticket. I'm mostly leaning toward doing it though. Who knows if the opportunity will be right again.

poppachubby
04-21-2010, 01:35 AM
Who knows if the opportunity will be right again.

Who knows if they'll tour again.

GMichael
04-21-2010, 05:02 AM
I'm with you FA, if I'm going to shell out the bucks for a concert I want a decent seat. If tickets are that much here it will be a tough decision.

Poppa, I have not seen Rush before in concert. That, and the fact I know they will be doing at least some old material really makes me want to go but on the other hand I can't see paying mega bucks for a concert ticket. I'm mostly leaning toward doing it though. Who knows if the opportunity will be right again.

If I had never seen them I would try to find a way. But I have seen them many times over the years. They were even my first concert back in 1976. They have never failed to thrill me. A great show!

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Peabody, if you've never seen them before then go. You will not be disappointed. A Rush concert is an event and every show is a treat. Like Poppa said, they could decide to stop touring at any time.

GMichael
04-21-2010, 05:26 AM
Peabody, if you've never seen them before then go. You will not be disappointed. A Rush concert is an event and every show is a treat. Like Poppa said, they could decide to stop touring at any time.

Or one of their wheelchairs could break down.

Mr Peabody
04-21-2010, 05:37 AM
I will do my best to make it happen.

Neil rode his motorcycle from show to show last year I doubt if they are ready for the nursing assistance yet :)

GMichael
04-21-2010, 06:50 AM
I will do my best to make it happen.

Neil rode his motorcycle from show to show last year I doubt if they are ready for the nursing assistance yet :)

Yeah, but did he let the wind blow through his hair? :devil:

bobsticks
04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah, but did he let the wind blow through his hair? :devil:

Yeah, the tufts protruding from his ears...:wink5:

MasterCylinder
04-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Geriatric Pterodactyls forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.................and still better than 99% of the crap that is available out there.

If you have never seen RUSH, you need to go while you still can.

Finch Platte
04-21-2010, 08:16 AM
.................and still better than 99% of the crap that is available out there.

Lol, okaaaaaaayyyyyy. :frown2:

MasterCylinder
04-21-2010, 08:32 AM
The power trio is an incredibly tough thing to pull off, and these guys have proven to be an example to follow............when seeing live acts such as Zeppelin or the Who, there are some large and obvious holes compared to the recorded versions...........and while there are noticeable differences with Rush as well, Alex and Geddy have found methods to fill that air............in just four short months, Rush will begin it's 43rd year............on top of all that, I'm sure they are students of Pete Anderson and David Gogo.

Finch Platte
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
The power trio is an incredibly tough thing to pull off, and these guys have proven to be an example to follow............when seeing live acts such as Zeppelin or the Who, there are some large and obvious holes compared to the recorded versions...........and while there are noticeable differences with Rush as well, Alex and Geddy have found methods to fill that air............in just four short months, Rush will begin it's 43rd year............on top of all that, I'm sure they are students of Pete Anderson and David Gogo.

Dude, I probably would have said they're better than 99% of the acts out there today, back when I was 19. Why do you think there's such demand for the old stuff? 'Cause that's when they wrote good songs. C'mon, do you really think the stuff they're writing these days is that good?

I have no problem admitting they are great players. But their songwriting well seems to have dried up.

And nice crack about PA and DG. Just trying "new" stuff, that's all, man. No need to get all huffy.

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Dude, I probably would have said they're better than 99% of the acts out there today, back when I was 19. Why do you think there's such demand for the old stuff? 'Cause that's when they wrote good songs. C'mon, do you really think the stuff they're writing these days is that good?

I have no problem admitting they are great players. But their songwriting well seems to have dried up.

They only had two bad albums IMO. Everything up to and including Counterparts is excellent for the most part. Test For Echo and Vapour Trails were both pretty ho-hum. But I thought that Snakes and Arrows was pretty damn good.

Finch Platte
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
They only had two bad albums IMO. Everything up to and including Counterparts is excellent for the most part. Test For Echo and Vapour Trails were both pretty ho-hum. But I thought that Snakes and Arrows was pretty damn good.

Well, to each his/her own. They haven't done anything for me in a while.

And you gotta admit that 99% thing was preposterous. :thumbsup:

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I don't gotta admit nuttin'!

Finch Platte
04-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't gotta admit nuttin'!

Gee, I feel all Dwight Schrute-y all of a sudden! :biggrin5:

Swish
04-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Who knows if they'll tour again.

Geddy will sound even stranger with his high-pitched comical voice blended with a geezer wheeze/whistle.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Stone
04-21-2010, 12:19 PM
They only had two bad albums . . .

Yep, and they released them 8 times each under different titles.

ForeverAutumn
04-21-2010, 12:36 PM
You guys are mean! :(

GMichael
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
You guys are mean! :(

That's redundent.

Finch Platte
04-21-2010, 02:03 PM
That's redundent.

That's misspelled.

GMichael
04-22-2010, 05:35 AM
That's misspelled.

I like it that way.

3LB
04-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Surprised no one has talked about the tour here.
still surprised?

Really Mr P, its ok to not post about music here...it really is.

How many times I gotta tell ya, you can't discuss prog here.

ForeverAutumn
04-22-2010, 08:16 AM
How many times I gotta tell ya, you can't discuss prog here.

Sure he can...he just has to ignore the simpletons whose brains aren't evolved enough to understand and enjoy such complex music. :ciappa:

And...to be fair...Rush haven't really been prog for 30 years.

Finch Platte
04-22-2010, 11:59 AM
And...to be fair...Rush haven't really been prog for 30 years.

I think you may have hit on why I don't like them anymore... Hmmm.

3LB
04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
No, Rush isn't that proggy anymore and no, they haven't put out an album I find compelling since '86, which at worst puts them in the same boat as a lot of other rock acts from the '70s (The Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison, Springsteen, AC/DC, Aerosmith to name a few), acts who are still around and get a lot of praise for resting on their laurels and putting out the same album several times over. I'd rather hear a '90s Rush album than anything those aforementioned acts put out since 1980.

GMichael
04-23-2010, 06:13 AM
No, Rush isn't that proggy anymore and no, they haven't put out an album I find compelling since '86, which at worst puts them in the same boat as a lot of other rock acts from the '70s (The Stones, Dylan, Van Morrison, Springsteen, AC/DC, Aerosmith to name a few), acts who are still around and get a lot of praise for resting on their laurels and putting out the same album several times over. I'd rather hear a '90s Rush album than anything those aforementioned acts put out since 1980.

I was listening to the first Rush CD on the way in today. It really does have a sound that is unmached by anything that came out after. Nothing agaist Neil. He's a great drummer and writer. There was just an energy on that first CD that I can't explain.

Stone
04-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Dylan? Really? Granted, none of his recent albums are on par with Highway 61 or Blood on the Tracks, but I just don't agree with you that he was "resting on his laurels" on Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft, which are really damn good IMO.

I really like some of the stuff Van Morrison has done in the past 10-15 years too, but I can see how one could not be enamored with it.

3LB
04-23-2010, 09:09 AM
I was listening to the first Rush CD on the way in today. It really does have a sound that is unmached by anything that came out after. Nothing agaist Neil. He's a great drummer and writer. There was just an energy on that first CD that I can't explain.
I once heard an interview with Geddy Lee that took place sometime around they released the Hold Your Fire album (I quote from memory) "when we were starting out we were focused on mastering our instruments, then we went through a phase where were experimenting sounds and textures and moods, but now we're focused on song writing and content" - i.e. resting on their laurels. I liked those first two phases. Like I said before, there are still gems dispersed throughout. Available Light from Presto might be Lee's best vocal ever, for example. But Rush has a lot of samey sounding stuff from '86 on. They're working on another set of songs, which may or may not see conventional release, as Peart has expressed reservation (as have others) about the future of CD or other physical medium with regards to new music.

GMichael
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I once heard an interview with Geddy Lee that took place sometime around they released the Hold Your Fire album (I quote from memory) "when we were starting out we were focused on mastering our instruments, then we went through a phase where were experimenting sounds and textures and moods, but now we're focused on song writing and content" - i.e. resting on their laurels. I liked those first two phases. Like I said before, there are still gems dispersed throughout. Available Light from Presto might be Lee's best vocal ever, for example. But Rush has a lot of samey sounding stuff from '86 on. They're working on another set of songs, which may or may not see conventional release, as Peart has expressed reservation (as have others) about the future of CD or other physical medium with regards to new music.

I still view anything after All The World's A Stage as their new stuff. :ihih:

Mr Peabody
04-23-2010, 08:44 PM
A friend turned me on to a link;

http://www.rush.com/

Mr Peabody
04-24-2010, 07:44 AM
Got em.... got em, GOT EM!!!

Good thing I was on when the sale started. Best seats not including VIP package was $125.00. I think those may have sold out which kept me from having to make the decision to spend that much. I got the next best at $82.00. I'm near center in row OO, that was the best offer that came up. VIP package was $325.00 with numbered posted, new DVD, mini CD with new songs, seat in first 15 rows, Rush pick collection and T-shirt. That's what I remember of the list any way.

ForeverAutumn
04-24-2010, 08:16 AM
Congrats! You're going to love 'em live!

Mr Peabody
04-24-2010, 09:50 AM
I guess in Canada you all have to deal with service charges as well? The service charge was nearly a fourth the price of a ticket which made them just under $100.00 per the one I got.

GMichael
04-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Congrats. Wish I were going too.

Finch Platte
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I bought the Snakes & Arrows live DVD and watched most of it. It was interesting to see during the 3 encore songs, One Little Victory received a very lukewarm reception- the audience barely cheering or throwing their hands up as they had for the entire show. Newer Rush song = The Suck. :sleep:

Jack in Wilmington
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM

I didn't think much of TFE, VT or S&A. I just feel Geddy's voice isn't what it used to be, not that it was anything great, but it fit their music. I hate to see it happen, so many of my favorite groups have long disbanded. It's tough to see one that is still original start to lose it. Tull is still around from time to time touring, but I see Ian doing more solo tours. Renaissance is touring again this summer and that's nice to see. But sometimes the prices that tickets go for will put a serious kink in your wallet. Not like the old days where you saw three groups for $5 or $6. Sorry, I'm starting to rant.