Fall of the House of Darko. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fall of the House of Darko.

Kam
04-20-2010, 10:28 AM
So I finally watched S. Darko, a "continuation" of the story started in Donnie Darko. Not a sequel mind you, as they wanted to distance themselves from that word. I think "retread" or "rehash" might have been a better description.

As a disclaimer, I fall on the fanboy side of Donnie Darko, and loved that movie with all it's weird strangeness that all seemed to make sense within its own world.

S. Darko picks up 7 years after Donnie's death, where his little sister is travelling across country with her best friend, and then all the weird dream stuff starts to happen. Basically it's all the same story from DD including all the effects, the time travelling, the liquid tentacles of paths, the forcefields, the whole shebang, including a falling object out of the sky that does/doesnt kill another character, and an accident that does/doesn't happen.

If you've seen DD, you'll know everything that's going to happen in SD. There's nothing really new here other than the things happening are to other people, rather than the way Donnie was the focal point of everything, here's its spread out over a few other characters, and kinda makes things more confusing. Makes you wonder who the protagonist of the story is, if it's not the characters name in the title (yeah, don't bring up Julius Caesar, when the dude that wrote S. Darko is talked about 500 years later, then come back to me).

The "voice" is the same, the sound effects are the same, and they aren't as good as they were in DD. So... i'd rather watch Donnie go through his own Cellar Door once again than this. Unfortunately.

-k

dean_martin
04-21-2010, 08:50 AM
Agreed, but my expectations were not that high because I thought it was a direct to video release. I could be wrong about that. My only expectation was that it would currupt the Darko mythos for me. (Then why did you watch it, you ask.) I don't think the original writer/director Richard Kelly was involved. I read somewhere that he retained no rights to the original, therefore, he has no control over sequels, "continuations", etc.

I would've much rather seen Roberta Sparrow's back-story or just about anything else.

Kam
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Agreed, but my expectations were not that high because I thought it was a direct to video release. I could be wrong about that. My only expectation was that it would currupt the Darko mythos for me. (Then why did you watch it, you ask.) I don't think the original writer/director Richard Kelly was involved. I read somewhere that he retained no rights to the original, therefore, he has no control over sequels, "continuations", etc.

I would've much rather seen Roberta Sparrow's back-story or just about anything else.

I think you're right, it was direct to dvd. And Kelly is only credited for the characters, but had nothing else to do with this. Sparrow's back story would have been much more interesting, or even Swayze's character's backstory, at least that would have been an original take to see the other side of a story we only saw through donnie's eyes. rather than this replica with his sister. there wasn't even a good symmetry of fate within the family since they changed who the time traveller was.