New Webb Brothers: Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Webb Brothers: Review

BarryL
11-24-2003, 07:56 AM
I really dug the last Webb Brothers CD, which I think is a coming-of-age classic; sort-of a 21st Century update of Pet Sounds. This one, called The Webb Brothers is their third CD (they are the sons of the great American songwriter Jimmy Webb), and is more of the same. The opening tune is very Pink Floydish from about 1970 combined with a Beatles and Beachboys sound. The album in general is more uptempo than the previous one, and less depressing. Generally it would fit into the pop category, but takes itself a little more seriously than a lot of pop. There is also an undelying chill feel to much of the album. Simple melodies with great production values and fine playing.

If you liked their last one, you'll like this one. If you don't know these guys, and are in the 18 to 26 age bracket, you can make yourself cool by introducing this to your friends. For older folks, this is a very mature album for a bunch of teenagers. Reminds me a bit of Ben Folds, but without less humour and more minor chords.