March Music Madness: AC/DC vs. Talking Heads [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : March Music Madness: AC/DC vs. Talking Heads

newtrix1
04-02-2004, 03:32 AM
Final Four match # 2:
Please vote on your more favorite artist between AC/DC and Talking Heads.

Rules are loose with March Music Madness, but the idea is to choose the band (or artist) you enjoy more, rather than which is “greater”, or more influential, etc.

thank you.

notes:

Justifying your vote is not required, but....in the event of a tie, winning band will be determined by the voter who posts the best justification (explanation) as to why they like the band they voted for (or why they don't like the other band).

The following four bands (Yes, Wilco, AC/DC and Talking Heads) have beaten out some stiff competition to earn a position in the final four. Two winners in this round will move to the championship match.

3-LockBox
04-02-2004, 06:45 AM
I pick these guys even though, like <b>AC/DC</b>, they haven't had a decent album since the early '80s. They were much more experimental and took greater risks musically, whereas AC/DC just made the same album over and over.

Stone
04-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Always gotta be different, doncha Mason.

:)

DariusNYC
04-02-2004, 09:27 AM
These are two bands that I like a lot, but I like nothing of AC/DC's as much as Talking Heads' first three albums. Speaking more "objectively" (which I know this poll isn't supposed to be about), I think Talking Heads are one of the greatest bands of the late 70s and early 80s.

ForeverAutumn
04-02-2004, 09:37 AM
I vote for Yes. Oh, sorry, not yet? Okay. Then I vote for AC/DC.

I like the Talking Heads, but I'm more familiar with AC/DC and in all the years that I've been listening to them, I never get tired of them.

newtrix1
04-02-2004, 09:54 AM
I vote for Yes. Oh, sorry, not yet? Okay. Then I vote for AC/DC.

I like the Talking Heads, but I'm more familiar with AC/DC and in all the years that I've been listening to them, I never get tired of them.

Yes are getting spanked by 'Shwilco'. I'm not surprised that Wilco are ahead, but I am surprised by the margin that they are ahead.

nobody
04-02-2004, 11:35 AM
Tough call. I was probably gonna vote Talking Heads, but seeing as how they're running away with it, I figured I may as well show some love for AC/DC. It's kinda like voting Nader when you know your state's already locked up.

dld
04-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Easy is thi s one. Talking Heads by a mile. I love AC/DC but they stay in the same groove, a good groove, but the same one, more or less. Talking Heads are all over the place, and I love most of those places. Quircky, edgy, and when they want, they can rock out.

DarrenH
04-02-2004, 06:58 PM
Easy is thi s one. Talking Heads by a mile. I love AC/DC but they stay in the same groove, a good groove, but the same one, more or less. Talking Heads are all over the place, and I love most of those places. Quircky, edgy, and when they want, they can rock out.

I just listened to '74 Jailbreak yesterday and that thing had me wanting for more. Damn fine early AC/DC. Too bad it was a 5 song EP. I'd love to get my hands on some more early material. Is such a thing available?

High Voltage, Let There Be Rock, Dirty Deeds......these albums surpass anything The Talking Heads ever did.

Darren

MindGoneHaywire
04-03-2004, 02:25 PM
Talking Heads, I guess. I like certain individual tracks by AC/DC more than any single track from the Heads, but the Heads were a band that worked to explore creativity within the album format & I give 'em points for that even though the only one I've heard where I think it works completely is Fear Of Music. AC/DC didn't have that kind of ambition, & there's nothing wrong with that, but in this matchup that quality in the Heads plus their ability to fit in quite well in the CB's scene in the mid 70s gives them the nod here. Especially since the negatives--the relatively mild pretentiousness of the Heads vs. AC/DC's seeming inability to rewrite a good song for, oh, 20 years or so now--come out in favor of the Heads as well.