Need projector recommendations. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need projector recommendations.

Swish
04-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I checked a couple threads on here but haven't seen a whole lot of steam behind any particular model, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas. While I don't have a budget in mind, I'd prefer to keep it under $3,000 and would hope I could come in close to $2,000 or less, so the Anthem LTX 500 is a no go. :smile5:

I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to buy a screen or to use that special paint to create my own on the wall? I understand the process takes time and has to be done very precisely so there are no flaws in the picture. Have any of you attempted to make your own, and, if so, can you offer any suggestions or tips?

The room size shouldn't be an issue with a width of 18' and depth of 22', although the finished ceiling is only 7'. There's about 6" about the ceiling tiles so I could create a 'pan' for the projector is that would be commended. The drop ceiling will also make it easy for me to run my speaker wires.

Thanks in advance.

Swish

GMichael
04-19-2010, 06:15 AM
I checked a couple threads on here but haven't seen a whole lot of steam behind any particular model, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me some ideas. While I don't have a budget in mind, I'd prefer to keep it under $3,000 and would hope I could come in close to $2,000 or less, so the Anthem LTX 500 is a no go. :smile5:

I'm also wondering if it makes more sense to buy a screen or to use that special paint to create my own on the wall? I understand the process takes time and has to be done very precisely so there are no flaws in the picture. Have any of you attempted to make your own, and, if so, can you offer any suggestions or tips?

The room size shouldn't be an issue with a width of 18' and depth of 22', although the finished ceiling is only 7'. There's about 6" about the ceiling tiles so I could create a 'pan' for the projector is that would be commended. The drop ceiling will also make it easy for me to run my speaker wires.

Thanks in advance.

Swish

There are a few good projectors in your range. If it were my money, I would go with either the Panasonic AE4000 or the Epson 8500UB or 8100. This is where is did most of my research before buying the two I have. They have forums where you can post questions too. They know way more than I do.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

You can compare models, get prices, read reviews and find several DIY screen projects. Epson, Optima, Sanyo and Panasonic (and a few others) are all making good budget projectors. I personally would never buy a Mitsubishi product, but that’s because I’ve delt with them in the past and was very unhappy with their customer service.

There are some screen projects that don’t include painting. Some use a large acrilic type boards that just needs mounting. Others buy the screen material and make their own frames. I think that Kex built a screen of his own. He may be able to help you. In any case, most people say to buy the projector first and play with picture sizes on your bare wall or white sheet until you find the size that suites you. Happy hunting.

Swish
04-19-2010, 06:27 AM
There are a few good projectors in your range. If it were my money, I would go with either the Panasonic AE4000 or the Epson 8500UB or 8100. This is where is did most of my research before buying the two I have. They have forums where you can post questions too. They know way more than I do.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/home-theater-multimedia-projectors.htm

You can compare models, get prices, read reviews and find several DIY screen projects. Epson, Optima, Sanyo and Panasonic (and a few others) are all making good budget projectors. I personally would never buy a Mitsubishi product, but that’s because I’ve delt with them in the past and was very unhappy with their customer service.

There are some screen projects that don’t include painting. Some use a large acrilic type boards that just needs mounting. Others buy the screen material and make their own frames. I think that Kex built a screen of his own. He may be able to help you. In any case, most people say to buy the projector first and play with picture sizes on your bare wall or white sheet until you find the size that suites you. Happy hunting.

I have a lot to learn about the technology and I want to approach it carefully and make good choices because I want it to last many years. I still have some work to do in the main space but want to make my decisions before I start wiring and so forth.

Thanks again,
Swishdaddy

GMichael
04-19-2010, 06:36 AM
I have a lot to learn about the technology and I want to approach it carefully and make good choices because I want it to last many years. I still have some work to do in the main space but want to make my decisions before I start wiring and so forth.

Thanks again,
Swishdaddy

Good approach.

By the way daddy. The new models usually come out in late summer. Good deals can be had on last year’s models in early summer, but the trend lately has been that the new and improved models have been coming out with lower price tags. Not sure if that trend will continue, but it’s a thought.
3D models are just coming out. Prices are still a little high.

kexodusc
04-19-2010, 08:31 AM
Swish, I used Wilson Art Laminate (Designer White). Counter top stuff. It's a very popular option on other A/V websites. It comes in 5 x 12 rolls for about $100 and measures better than a lot of paint or even low budget screen options. I have a smaller, Da-Lite screen I use for work, and it doesn't bring out as sharp a contrast as the coutner top stuff. A friend of mine was so impressed he upgraded his screen to the same material (albeit 18" larger than what he had prior). A lot of people have used this stuff with great success.

Here's a good link for construction ideas, but not the only way to do it.
http://elysianonline.com/home-theater/110-quot-diagonal-wilson-art-designer-white-diy-projection-screen/

If you decide to go this route we can talk more about construction.

The laminate is great, it's very strong (durable), easy to wash, and cheap. Took me about an afternoon to build, under $200 all-in. There's other DIY options, some a bit better, some worse, and material availabilty is usually the determining factor. Home Depot usually carries the laminate. You're probalby splitting hairs on the overall picture quality until you get into the mega-buck options. And if you're like me, you wont' notice those benefits anyway.

I'd recommend it over paint, especially if you have a habbit of throwing remotes at the screen during sports.

If you're building a room, be sure of light control. That is critical. Which means dimmable lights or excellent blinds. Other than that, have fun.

Swish
04-19-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd recommend it over paint, especially if you have a habbit of throwing remotes at the screen during sports.

BWAHAHAHAHA! I've never thrown one at my TV screen, but I've come very close. I did break the battery latch on the back off my Harmony when I tossed it during an Eagles game.

Thanks for information Kexo, and I'm going to look into this stuff and check that link. One roll will do it for my room, so this is a very cost-effective option.

Swishbaby

Swish
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Good approach.

By the way daddy. The new models usually come out in late summer. Good deals can be had on last year’s models in early summer, but the trend lately has been that the new and improved models have been coming out with lower price tags. Not sure if that trend will continue, but it’s a thought.
3D models are just coming out. Prices are still a little high.

...run my speaker wires, but my screen and so forth. All this while we're in the middle of a semi-remodel of our kitchen along with lots of interior painting. I'm really not in a hurry but if the price drops but a few hundred or so, I'll just buy one and go from there. I think the Panasonic will be my choice at this point, but I have more research to do.

Thanks again,
GSwishdaddy

euchreb
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
From my experience and I have an Epson 1080 UB pro Cinema, the screen is very important. Dont use the paint. Either make your own screen as the previous poster stated or buy one. Unless you are putting it up in a room where the screen has to go up dont waste money on the electric screen. Between the panasonic and the Epson it is really close. I had the same debate with the Epson and Panasonic models 2 years ago. It really depends on what you want to use it for and how dark is your room going to be. The epson is great for movies in a dark room but the panasonic is better for gaming with more light infiltration. Epsons warrenty kicks the crap out of panasonic but panasonic lamps are a little cheaper. For your price range either of those projectors is going to make you happy. At 92" my 1080UB projector looks as good as my pioneer elite plasma. Best of luck.

Swish
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
From my experience and I have an Epson 1080 UB pro Cinema, the screen is very important. Dont use the paint. Either make your own screen as the previous poster stated or buy one. Unless you are putting it up in a room where the screen has to go up dont waste money on the electric screen. Between the panasonic and the Epson it is really close. I had the same debate with the Epson and Panasonic models 2 years ago. It really depends on what you want to use it for and how dark is your room going to be. The epson is great for movies in a dark room but the panasonic is better for gaming with more light infiltration. Epsons warrenty kicks the crap out of panasonic but panasonic lamps are a little cheaper. For your price range either of those projectors is going to make you happy. At 92" my 1080UB projector looks as good as my pioneer elite plasma. Best of luck.

We are in the midst of finishing our main floor so I won't be making any moves until this summer, but I want to make sure I have a good base from which to work before I start the process. I know the size of the space but I'm not certain how big the screen should be based on where the main seating will be, and how far from the screen I should mount the projector from the ceiling. I'm sure there are plenty of sites that explain all of that, and once established, I will begin running my speaker wires and building my screen. Based on the feedback thus far, the painted screen is out of the question.

Thanks again,
Swishdaddy

GMichael
04-27-2010, 05:07 AM
We are in the midst of finishing our main floor so I won't be making any moves until this summer, but I want to make sure I have a good base from which to work before I start the process. I know the size of the space but I'm not certain how big the screen should be based on where the main seating will be, and how far from the screen I should mount the projector from the ceiling. I'm sure there are plenty of sites that explain all of that, and once established, I will begin running my speaker wires and building my screen. Based on the feedback thus far, the painted screen is out of the question.

Thanks again,
Swishdaddy

Dear Daddy,

That site I gave you is a great place to find all those answers in one place, and then some.

I wouldn't go painted either. Too many better options.

Are you planning on running the cables to the projector in the wall/celing or on the surface? If, in the wall, you may want to also put in a conduit to pull new cables if needed. You never know what will replace HDMI around the corner.

Also, some people like to have a second display (LCD, plazma etc) for when they are watching news programs or other such programs that don't need a large picture. It saves on bulb life. I mounted my old CRT in the corner of the room pointed at the kitchen. We use that in the mornings to watch the news or to have on for the music channels. It also comes in handy when I watch sports and play video games at the same time.

Swish
04-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Dear Daddy,

That site I gave you is a great place to find all those answers in one place, and then some.

I wouldn't go painted either. Too many better options.

Are you planning on running the cables to the projector in the wall/celing or on the surface? If, in the wall, you may want to also put in a conduit to pull new cables if needed. You never know what will replace HDMI around the corner.

Also, some people like to have a second display (LCD, plazma etc) for when they are watching news programs or other such programs that don't need a large picture. It saves on bulb life. I mounted my old CRT in the corner of the room pointed at the kitchen. We use that in the mornings to watch the news or to have on for the music channels. It also comes in handy when I watch sports and play video games at the same time.

I saved those sites on my browser and plan to utilize them when I'm ready to do my research. Thanks for the tip on the bulb life, but I'm not sure I'm going to worry about a second screen. This will be in my basement and used primarily for movies and major sports, and not for news and daily TV fodder. I have a 50" Panasonic plasma in the LR that we use for that sort of thing, and I plan to keep it there.

Thanks again for all the help. You guys are awesome!

Swishbaby

kexodusc
04-27-2010, 07:13 AM
You'll get a ton of life out of the bulbs then if you can keep to that. We use ours for most video watching, are terrible for turning it on and off in short intervals (which isn't great). But I still got 3089 hrs on my Epson 1080 's first bulb (almost 19 months worth). It ran in torch mode for awhile too which probably didn't help. My wife's bad at leaving it on when she leaves the house too.

I'm taking a lot more care on bulb #2 and I'm hoping for 10% more life. We'll see.

One other thing - do some thinking about screen size. I was originally going to go with 92" based on some recommendations those calculators provide for 480p viewing distances - I grew it to 102" or 104" (can't remember dimensions off top of my head) figuring most of my viewing would be 1080i or better anyway, and that I could always shrink it. Man I'm glad I did that!!!

Swish
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM
You'll get a ton of life out of the bulbs then if you can keep to that. We use ours for most video watching, are terrible for turning it on and off in short intervals (which isn't great). But I still got 3089 hrs on my Epson 1080 's first bulb (almost 19 months worth). It ran in torch mode for awhile too which probably didn't help. My wife's bad at leaving it on when she leaves the house too.

I'm taking a lot more care on bulb #2 and I'm hoping for 10% more life. We'll see.

One other thing - do some thinking about screen size. I was originally going to go with 92" based on some recommendations those calculators provide for 480p viewing distances - I grew it to 102" or 104" (can't remember dimensions off top of my head) figuring most of my viewing would be 1080i or better anyway, and that I could always shrink it. Man I'm glad I did that!!!

And by that I mean expensive, before the wisecracks start. I was really surprised how many people, my 31 year old daughter and her 33 year old husband included, never heard that expression before. Oh well.

kexodusc
04-28-2010, 12:12 PM
And by that I mean expensive, before the wisecracks start. I was really surprised how many people, my 31 year old daughter and her 33 year old husband included, never heard that expression before. Oh well.
Yeah, $300-$400 is typical..

Tarheel_
04-30-2010, 06:13 PM
On my 3rd year with a 720p Mitsubishi HD projector with 2200+ hours and it still looks great. Check the warranty and the bulb life time. A 1000 hour bulb life difference means a great deal of savings.

GMichael
10-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Did anyone notice the release of the new Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector?
It's getting great reviews.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2010-10-08-Epson-8350-wins-Editors-Choice&entry_id=351

It's improvements like these as a reasonable price that gives me hope for the future. If they can do this much now, imagine what they'll be able to do in a couple more years (my budgetary plan for upgrading).

kexodusc
10-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Did anyone notice the release of the new Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector?
It's getting great reviews.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8350.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news.cfm?2010-10-08-Epson-8350-wins-Editors-Choice&entry_id=351

It's improvements like these as a reasonable price that gives me hope for the future. If they can do this much now, imagine what they'll be able to do in a couple more years (my budgetary plan for upgrading).
Wow, that's making it damn tempting for a lot of people I bet.
I expect to get another few years out of mine before upgrading as well, but at least I won't have to break the bank when the time comes.

amarmistry
11-26-2010, 04:49 PM
I just got my new Epson Home Cinema 8700UB last week-end. After much delibaration and dilemma between Panny PT-AE4000U and Epson, I decided to go for this one. The picutre is truly amazing.
Haven't yet hooked up to my Blu-Ray yet, but regular DVDs on DVD player (only 480i) looks very good so far.
It comes with free lamp and 2 years warranty. Total lamp life is 4000hrs vs 3000hrs for Panny. The lamp is valued at $300 vs $400 for Panny. The price of the projector is $2199, but ProjectorPeople were running Thanksgiving special for $2000. Can't beat this whole deal.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
If you go to Projectorcentral, they have projector and screen deals. Check that out, the prices on those combo deals are eye popping!

Swish
11-28-2010, 07:08 AM
If you go to Projectorcentral, they have projector and screen deals. Check that out, the prices on those combo deals are eye popping!

He mentioned that site in the first response to my original post and I've been checking out all the excellent information available (throw distance, screen size, etc.) and I'm planning to build a 110" screen with that Wilson Art laminate that Kex recommended.

I'm going to wait until after the holidays to start running my speaker wires and the like for my 7.1 system. I haven't decided on the projector yet, but was going to get the Epson 8500UB (found one for under $1900) but may go with the new Epson 8350 that GMichael just threw in the mix based on what I'm reading about it. That would save me about $600 and it appears I wouldn't give up much in the way of performance. I probably won't buy one until February or March, so I have plenty of time for research and shopping.

Thanks!

GMichael
11-29-2010, 07:47 AM
He mentioned that site in the first response to my original post and I've been checking out all the excellent information available (throw distance, screen size, etc.) and I'm planning to build a 110" screen with that Wilson Art laminate that Kex recommended.

I'm going to wait until after the holidays to start running my speaker wires and the like for my 7.1 system. I haven't decided on the projector yet, but was going to get the Epson 8500UB (found one for under $1900) but may go with the new Epson 8350 that GMichael just threw in the mix based on what I'm reading about it. That would save me about $600 and it appears I wouldn't give up much in the way of performance. I probably won't buy one until February or March, so I have plenty of time for research and shopping.

Thanks!

Oh no!

I don't think that my "Class Clown" status allows me to be helpful. I may have to turn in my card. :blush2:

amarmistry
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
You might want to consider 8700 as it comes with two HDMIs and free bulb coupon after mail-in rebate. It has better blacks as well.

Swish
11-30-2010, 02:32 PM
You might want to consider 8700 as it comes with two HDMIs and free bulb coupon after mail-in rebate. It has better blacks as well.

I don't want to do this on the cheap by any means as I already have thousands soaked into my 7.1 audio system. However, if I can get very good performance for hundreds less, I'll probably do so. I have until about March to make my decision, so I'm going to see where the prices fall at that point.

Thanks for your input.

amarmistry
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Please see this link for my Home theater setup.
Panny DMP-BD85K with Epson PowerLite Homecinema 8700UB projector in action:
http://picasaweb.google.com/arm.amar/HomeTheater#

The picture is default THX setting. Projector not calibrated yet.

Swish
12-27-2010, 05:56 AM
....very white lol! I'm surprised you didn't use a darker color paint on your walls as most would recommend, but if you're happy with it, I guess that's all that matters.

Can you tell me what you are using for a screen? I really can't tell if you used that special paint or have an actual screen installed. I was going to go with the Wilson Art 'bright white' laminate and build a cheap frame for it.

Also, what size is your screen and what is the throw distance for your projector?

Thanks for sharing,

Swish

amarmistry
12-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Swish, you are right about darker color paint. The beige was original color of the basement walls. I have future plans to change it though. I might make some kind of black frame around it as well. But so far I am very happy with the results.

About the screen, its not actual screen or special paint. Belive it or not, it is Behr Premium Flat white paint, about $17. Two coats and it worked like a charm. I really do not understand what'd a special projector paint will accomplish.

The painted screen size: 10'4" Horizontal, 5'7" Vertical, 11'84/8" Diagonal
Distance of projector to wall 13'7". Projector is on the table.

Image size is about 120" diagonal

Swish
12-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Swish, you are right about darker color paint. The beige was original color of the basement walls. I have future plans to change it though. I might make some kind of black frame around it as well. But so far I am very happy with the results.

About the screen, its not actual screen or special paint. Belive it or not, it is Behr Premium Flat white paint, about $17. Two coats and it worked like a charm. I really do not understand what'd a special projector paint will accomplish.

Of course you are! Ha! Flat paint has a way of showing every little imperfection on a wall, so I'm a bit surprised that you used it, but if you're happy with the results, I guess I can't argue with you. From what I've read, the special 'paint on screen' supposedly has many advantages; superior contrast, a flat 'spectral response', and so forth that they claim surpasses the performance of convention screens or other materials.

According to projectorcentral.com, the recommended throw for a 120" screen with your projector is 16' with that size screen. I'm sure they allow some play in those numbers, but you can check it here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_8700_UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm

amarmistry
12-27-2010, 01:14 PM

amarmistry
12-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes you are probably correct about the special projector paint.
I went Flat white route simply thinking it'd have minimal glare and thought that in worst case I can paint over it with better paint. At most, I lose is a can of paint. Not bad to try it out.
I had cleaned out the wall pretty well and sanded it smooth to remove any little imperfection I found by rubbing my hands over it. Looking from an angle after painting it I hardly see any uneven surface or blemishes. I really have to see if anyone used special projector paint or screen and see the difference. To be honest with you, picture does look very stunning. I did my best to capture the image with my camera that is very close to how it looks but still its not 100% reflection of real image.
I will try to see if I can put more images in different modex (THX, Theater Blank, Living Room etc) after calibrating it further.

Swish
01-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes you are probably correct about the special projector paint.
I went Flat white route simply thinking it'd have minimal glare and thought that in worst case I can paint over it with better paint. At most, I lose is a can of paint. Not bad to try it out.
I had cleaned out the wall pretty well and sanded it smooth to remove any little imperfection I found by rubbing my hands over it. Looking from an angle after painting it I hardly see any uneven surface or blemishes. I really have to see if anyone used special projector paint or screen and see the difference. To be honest with you, picture does look very stunning. I did my best to capture the image with my camera that is very close to how it looks but still its not 100% reflection of real image.
I will try to see if I can put more images in different modex (THX, Theater Blank, Living Room etc) after calibrating it further.

...the thing that matters most is how you like your setup. It's not reasonable to expect much feedback from the pictures you provided, but they do look pretty good. One thing for sure is that I'm even more anxious to get my HT room ready.

amarmistry
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
That is correct Swish. I really like it and I am very happy with the setup. The speakers could be better, and may be it will, someday.

By no means I am trying to get a whole lot of feed back. My intention was largely to share the final setup after I have posted many questions on this site before I made my purchase and during installation and after it was setup (and flat paint-of course :-) ).

I am certain you are moving forward towards your HT. Would love to see what you get and how it looks.

luckydoggoldminer
01-30-2011, 05:17 PM
I have had good luck with my couple year old sony vlp 50. The reds are superb. My room is 23 feet wide by 18. the ceiling is 11 feet tall. It did get replaced by several better and less expensive sony projectors. The sxrd processor helps eliminate l.c.d streak problems. Good luck in your search! MY SYSTEM IS AS FOLLOWS.........SONY VLP 50 PROJECTOR, CUSTOM SCREEN, TWO MONSTER MPA 3250 AMPS, ONE MONSTER MPA 2250 AMP, ONE NAD 973 SEVEN CHANNEL AMP FOR EFFECTS FOR A THUNDER AND LIGHTNING SYSTEM, ONE YAMAHA C2X PRE AMP, ONE ONKYO PRE PRO 885 PREAMP, ONE DENON 2500BDI BLU RAY,ONE SONY BDI 500 BLU RAY, ONE ES CX 777 400 DISC CHANGER, ONE ONKYO SP 1000 UNIVERSAL PLAYER, ONE MONSTER POWER 7000 CONDITIONER, CUSTOM AND UNIQUE VERTEC ROCK SPEAKERS WITH FOCAL AND GERMAN MADE DRIVERS, CUSTOM EIGHT FOOT WIDE VERTEC CENTER CHANNEL, TWO CUSTOM VERTEC/JBL 12 INCH SUBS,TWO CUSTOM VERTEC/JBL 18 INCH ALNICO DRIVERS, FOUR CUSTOM VERTEC THUNDER AND LIGHTNING SPEAKERS WITH 36 TOTAL DRIVERS, THE SCREEN IS A CUSTOM ONE MADE BY THE COMPANY THAT MAKES SCREENS FOR DISNEY AND NASA. THE SCREEN HAS TOO MUCH GLASS SO IT NEVER GETS RID OF THE FOLDED WRINKLES.

GMichael
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Did you pull that trigger yet? You may want to look at this before you do.
The Art of Home Theater Projectors » Blog Archive » New Epson Home Theater Projectors – A First Look! (http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog/2011/09/02/new-epson-home-theater-projectors-a-first-look/)

Swish
09-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Did you pull that trigger yet? You may want to look at this before you do.
The Art of Home Theater Projectors » Blog Archive » New Epson Home Theater Projectors – A First Look! (http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog/2011/09/02/new-epson-home-theater-projectors-a-first-look/)

Wireless HD video to the projector? Get the front door! I'm going to have to see the pricing before I make a decision, but that 5100 may be the one if it's around $2000 or so.

Danke!

GMichael
09-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Wireless HD video to the projector? Get the front door! I'm going to have to see the pricing before I make a decision, but that 5100 may be the one if it's around $2000 or so.

Danke!

I'm eying that 5100 myself. Not the 5100e though. I'm 3D ready except for the projector. Looks like it's going to be a good year for projectors.

Swish
09-19-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm eying that 5100 myself. Not the 5100e though. I'm 3D ready except for the projector. Looks like it's going to be a good year for projectors.

...what exactly do you mean? I have a PS3 that I'm sure will be upgraded to 3D, and the Oppo BD93 I plan to buy and use in my HT room will play 3D discs, but I'm a bit confused on the HDMI requirements.

Keep in mind that I've done little research on 3D because I thought it would be nothing more than a fad, but I guess I should follow the crowd.

I got the HDMI 1.1 upgrade on my Rotel processor (that's the only one available to date), meaning I have to use optical out for the audio signal, but I'm betting 1.1 won't be able to handle the video signal for 3D, correct? That being said, I could bypass the Rotel and run the HDMI from the Oppo to the projector, but that's not the solution I would prefer.

GMichael
09-19-2011, 05:41 AM
...what exactly do you mean? I have a PS3 that I'm sure will be upgraded to 3D, and the Oppo BD93 I plan to buy and use in my HT room will play 3D discs, but I'm a bit confused on the HDMI requirements.

Keep in mind that I've done little research on 3D because I thought it would be nothing more than a fad, but I guess I should follow the crowd.

I got the HDMI 1.1 upgrade on my Rotel processor (that's the only one available to date), meaning I have to use optical out for the audio signal, but I'm betting 1.1 won't be able to handle the video signal for 3D, correct? That being said, I could bypass the Rotel and run the HDMI from the Oppo to the projector, but that's not the solution I would prefer.

By 3D ready, I mean that I have upgraded the cables and receiver to HDMI 1.4. The PS3 you know is 3D ready.

If you want 3D you'd have to bypass your processor from the PS3. But that would mean having to use an optical cable (or RCA) to the processor for audio. Or maybe an HDMI splitter is available?

I thought that you were hot on the wireless HD though. Those new Epson models were either 3D or wireless. Not both.

GMichael
09-19-2011, 05:46 AM

Danke!

Rumor is that the 5100 will be under $3k. My guess is that 2995.00 is about what they mean by under $3k. It is supposed to be in direct competition with the new Panasonic 3D model which is going for $3500 right now.

Swish
09-19-2011, 06:14 AM
By 3D ready, I mean that I have upgraded the cables and receiver to HDMI 1.4. The PS3 you know is 3D ready.

If you want 3D you'd have to bypass your processor from the PS3. But that would mean having to use an optical cable (or RCA) to the processor for audio. Or maybe an HDMI splitter is available?

I thought that you were hot on the wireless HD though. Those new Epson models were either 3D or wireless. Not both.

I did mention bypassing my Rotel by the way. I'm really curious how the wireless works. I'm guessing you connect something to your Blu-Ray player.

I already saw prices on the Epson 3D players, but they're all 'pre-order' prices and your estimates aren't far off. You can check them out <a href="http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/epson-projectors.asp?sid=GBEP&gclid=COX7orK-qasCFYGK4AodI3sR2w">here</a>.

I was hoping to keep my projector purchase under $2,000 but it appears I won't be able to unless I give up on 3D, and I might do that. I could see perhaps $2,500, but not much more than that.

GMichael
09-19-2011, 06:54 AM
I did mention bypassing my Rotel by the way. I'm really curious how the wireless works. I'm guessing you connect something to your Blu-Ray player.

I already saw prices on the Epson 3D players, but they're all 'pre-order' prices and your estimates aren't far off. You can check them out <a href="http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/epson-projectors.asp?sid=GBEP&gclid=COX7orK-qasCFYGK4AodI3sR2w">here</a>.

I was hoping to keep my projector purchase under $2,000 but it appears I won't be able to unless I give up on 3D, and I might do that. I could see perhaps $2,500, but not much more than that.

The 3100 is 3D. Although, not as nice as the 5100, it's trumps last year's $2k models.

Swish
09-20-2011, 03:19 AM
The 3100 is 3D. Although, not as nice as the 5100, it's trumps last year's $2k models.

...how often would I watch something in 3D to make this worth the effort? Will there really be that many movies that I'd want to see in 3D while wearing silly glasses? What happens in a few years or so when they come out with a new 3D that doesn't require glasses?

I may just go with the old Epson 8700 UB.

GMichael
09-20-2011, 06:12 AM
...how often would I watch something in 3D to make this worth the effort? Will there really be that many movies that I'd want to see in 3D while wearing silly glasses? What happens in a few years or so when they come out with a new 3D that doesn't require glasses?

I may just go with the old Epson 8700 UB.

All good questions. I don't have the answers though.

How does the 8700 stack up to the 3100e? Does that wireless option mean a lot to you?

Edit:
8700 $2149ish
200,000:1 contrast
1600 ANSI
extra bulb

3100e $1500ish
30,000:1 contrast
2200 ANSI
wireless

5100e $2950ish
200,000:1
2400 ANSI
wireless

Swish
09-20-2011, 03:15 PM

How does the 8700 stack up to the 3100e? Does that wireless option mean a lot to you?

Edit:
8700 $2149ish
1600 ANSI
extra bulb

3100e $1500ish
2200 ANSI
wireless

5100e $2950ish
2400 ANSI
wireless

...but I thought it was cool. I haven't seen thorough reviews on the new models yet, but I'll be looking and learning before I make my move. I really wanted my HT ready for the NFL, but I suppose I can hold off a little longer...for the NHL!

kexodusc
09-21-2011, 03:52 AM
Ha ha ha...by the time Swish is ready to pull the trigger on a projector, they'll be selling holo-deck technology! Whatcha waiting for? You already missed the season opener of Glee! :ciappa:

Swish
09-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Ha ha ha...by the time Swish is ready to pull the trigger on a projector, they'll be selling holo-deck technology! Whatcha waiting for? You already missed the season opener of Glee! :ciappa:

If you recall though, someone mentioned how the priced usually dropped in late summer, so I was sort of holding off for that. I also had an extremely busy summer and haven't finished painting the area. Well, at least not around the fireplace, and the screen isn't done yet, but will be in a week or so.

Now the danged 3D issue has reared its ugly head.

GMichael
09-22-2011, 05:19 AM
If you recall though, someone mentioned how the priced usually dropped in late summer, so I was sort of holding off for that. I also had an extremely busy summer and haven't finished painting the area. Well, at least not around the fireplace, and the screen isn't done yet, but will be in a week or so.

Now the danged 3D issue has reared its ugly head.

Are you painting your ceiling black?

It's the only way to get the most out of Glee.

GMichael
09-22-2011, 05:28 AM

Edit:
8700 $2149ish
1600 ANSI
extra bulb

3100e $1500ish
2200 ANSI
wireless

5100e $2950ish
2400 ANSI
wireless

For reference:

My Sanyo Z4 - $2995 MSRP (I paid $2k)
720p
7000:1
1000 ANSI
free bulb, screen, HDMI & Component cables & mount

Swish
09-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Believe it or not. I went with the Epson Powerlite 8700UB and it should be here by Friday. I also ordered the Oppo BD93 the other day, along with a Logitech Harmony One remote. Now my only need is a screen. I started a new thread asking for a little advice but will still consider building a fixed screen. I just want it soon. Really soon. I'm missing NFL and NHL action!

amarmistry
11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Hey Swich
Glad to know you have finally made a decision on the projector. Welcome to the club of proud owners of Epson Home Cinema 8700. Lol.
You may have gotten it by now. How does it perform? Do you like it? Can you share some pictures please?

GMichael
11-11-2011, 11:19 AM
The Epson 5010's have just gone down $300. They should be shipping any day now.

Swish
11-11-2011, 01:18 PM
Hey Swich
Glad to know you have finally made a decision on the projector. Welcome to the club of proud owners of Epson Home Cinema 8700. Lol.
You may have gotten it by now. How does it perform? Do you like it? Can you share some pictures please?

I'm very happy with my purchase of the screen, the Epson, the Oppo and the Harmony One remote. I still need to replace the garish fluorescent lights and actually just ordered the replacement lights today. Nothing fancy, just pot lights that I can dim. Once they're installed and I get some decorating done, I'll take some pictures and post them here.

I also haven't done much with the Oppo except played a couple Blu-Ray movies and listened to cds. I want to delve into the streaming features for Netflix and Pandora, and perhaps use a flash drive to play a ton of tunes via the USB port. I just have to take the time to get this stuff done, but I've been so busy with other things.

GMichael
12-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Pulled the trigger on a 5010 yesterday. It should show up Friday. This is a tripple step up for me.
Entry level Z-4 to an ultra black level Epson.
720p to 1080p
2D to 3D
I ordered a bigger screen at 120" but it won't show up for about two weeks. I'll have to get by with the old 106"er till then. Can't wait to see this in action.