rambling from an old fart [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : rambling from an old fart

teej
04-15-2010, 11:44 AM
About 12 years ago (when RR was practically my second home) my evenings were spent in the sweet spot of the listening room. Today I mainly listen to online radio (morow.com baby!) while working on the computer. I had no kids when I found RR, now I have 2 and spend my evenings with the family. When I was growing up I imagined my adult life would be spent listening to music all night on ever higher quality sound systems. Today the main stereo hardly ever powers up.

RR used to cost me hours of the day...discussing the meaning behind an album, bashing the blues in fun (I still keep in contact with YECH), and discovering new music that ends up costing me money. I'd spend all night listening to music and re-listening to certain things to post my thoughts the next day on RR. Why are there so few discussions here today? Have they moved to other social media? Are the collective habits of music lovers changing? Or am I just an old fart too lazy to voice provocative music related posts?

tj

nightflier
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Sounds like a lot of hot air.... Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't know who you are, but you sound like you have a lot more mileage here than I do.

Anyhow, there's one thing I can concur with you about and that is the effect of kids on my time here. The older they get (and the more stuff they get into), the less I spend here and obsessing over musical details. I'm trying real hard to stay up to date with the posts, but I just have better things to do now and that is spend more time with my growing children and my wife. I don't think that's a bad thing, though.

Swish
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
About 12 years ago (when RR was practically my second home) my evenings were spent in the sweet spot of the listening room. Today I mainly listen to online radio (morow.com baby!) while working on the computer. I had no kids when I found RR, now I have 2 and spend my evenings with the family. When I was growing up I imagined my adult life would be spent listening to music all night on ever higher quality sound systems. Today the main stereo hardly ever powers up.

RR used to cost me hours of the day...discussing the meaning behind an album, bashing the blues in fun (I still keep in contact with YECH), and discovering new music that ends up costing me money. I'd spend all night listening to music and re-listening to certain things to post my thoughts the next day on RR. Why are there so few discussions here today? Have they moved to other social media? Are the collective habits of music lovers changing? Or am I just an old fart too lazy to voice provocative music related posts?

tj

I really wish I could remember you, but I honestly can't, and I'm pretty sure I was here for that many years, or close to it. Part of the reason it's slow is that many who used to post here no longer visit, so you are part of the problem. :10:

I don't visit here as much as I used to, but mostly because when I do log on, there are no new posts or only a couple that don't interest me. Some of the most active and interesting members have been long gone (Jar, Snowbunny, Darius, CC, DLD) and some just seemed to have drifted away recently (dbi/Davey), although Rae does pop in here and there.

You life obviously changed considerably, so it's understandable why you dropped out, and I'm sure that's what happened with some of the others. Or maybe they just got bored with it? I'm not going anywhere, but with a very active social life and a busy life otherwise, I just can't be here as much as I was in the past.

Swishdaddy

Stone
04-15-2010, 12:31 PM
YECH left, and there was no longer a goodwill ambassador for this site, so people left.

Slosh
04-15-2010, 01:12 PM
For me (and others I'm sure) it was the comp-trading that made this forum worth visiting. It was a great way to experience new music. But that was so ten years ago. :rolleyes: Now I can sample just about anything that strikes my interest with nothing more than a Google search and a few mouse clicks.

That, and I'd rather listen to music than talk about it.

I still make comps (err, um, playlists) often but only make my year-end comps available here anymore (and usually only a dozen or so people here even bother grabbing a copy).

MasterCylinder
04-15-2010, 01:17 PM
About 12 years ago (when RR was practically my second home) my evenings were spent in the sweet spot of the listening room.
RR used to cost me hours of the day... I'd spend all night listening to music and re-listening to certain things to post my thoughts the next day on RR. Why are there so few discussions here today?

tj

About 12 years ago, this was a much better site. They changed the structure and functionality and it went downhill from that point. The people here have always been informed and helpful, as well as fun...........and that is the only thing left.

GMichael
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Maybe you could start popping in more often. There aren't that many threads on RR as there used to be, but I've noticed that most get a reply or two.

Inside joke: Shouldn't this be in the Off Topic section?

Joke, joke. No letters please.

Rae
04-15-2010, 06:54 PM

tj

Boy howdy, I remember ya. Good to know that you're still alive and kicking (flourishing, it sounds like). People change; communities change. I'd love a return to the way this place was ca. 1999-2002, but I'm okay filling my life with other things instead, too.

~Rae

Troy
04-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Hi TJ!

There's a lot of reasons why this board is a shadow of it's former self and most of them have already been covered.

Time marches on.

Enjoy your family,

Troy

3LB
04-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Yep, one brief shining moment where those days of yore. Ah Yech...the leader of the banned. He made a fine protagonist, though I'm sure a few aren't ever gonna miss him. I still have snoot and play his Pass The Afrosheen comp. I remember and think of former members Allears, PwrPopGuy, Audiogirl, and Snowbunny all the time. I remember your "tj" signature, but I don't remember any specific interaction. It's never too late to come back. We'll talk, no big whoop.

Tell Yech we all said "bite me"

;)

unleasHell
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Was I here 12 years ago? I think I had a different name..

I miss yech like I miss diahrea

MasterCylinder
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
I miss yech like I miss diahrea

Yech was worse............with diahrea, at least you are getting rid of something.