RIP Peter Steele? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Peter Steele?

Rae
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Via the AV Club (http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-peter-steele-of-type-o-negative,40155/):

Petrus T. Ratajczyk—better known as Peter Steele, singer-bassist of goth-metal titan Type O Negative—has died. According to multiple sources including CBS News, Kerrang! and that other bastion of heavy-metal journalism, the Kansas City Star, Steele succumbed to heart failure Wednesday night at the age of 48.

As pointed out earlier by more cautious sources such as Blabbermouth, Steele pulled a prank about his own death in 2005 by posting a gravestone on the band's website that stated, "Peter Steele 1962-2005 Free At Last"—a joke that many took at face value at the time. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Steele is crying wolf again; an official statement from the band's manager confirms that Steele died last night, while its website currently has a message urging fans to "Please play nice and expect statements from the band and family later today."

Infamous for his towering stature and bat-cave-like baritone, Steele was an icon of seething, creepy gloom, although the longtime, outspoken atheist converted to Catholicism in recent years. Type O Negative also has the distinction of being one of the most popular goth bands of all time: Its 1993 album, Bloody Kisses, went platinum on the back of the single "Black No. 1 (Little Miss Scare-All)," which was featured on Beavis And Butt-Head, not to mention a hilariously grim rendition of Seals And Crofts' light-rock hit, "Summer Breeze".

Where's Dusty Chalk in this day and age?

~Rae

Stone
04-15-2010, 12:21 PM
Where's Dusty Chalk in this day and age?

~Rae

On a metal/goth web board?

I'd never heard of this guy (although I've certainly heard of Type O Negative) before your post. I take it he's no relation to Remington.

Rae
04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd never heard of this guy (although I've certainly heard of Type O Negative) before your post. I take it he's no relation to Remington.

Really? I thought he was a pretty notorious rock 'n' roll figure for his infamous Playgirl pictorial and the album cover of the Type O Negative album Slow, Deep, and Hard that supposedly featured a photograph of his appendage at the moment of *ahem* penetration (which you can view at your local record store or here -- warning: NSFW (http://p.dada.net/cspv/68-13-79-20-00-MetaPreview-Cover-JPEG256x256/type-o-negative/slow,-deep-and-hard-%5Bremaster%5D.jpg))...

~Rae

poppachubby
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM
The Slow, Deep and Hard remaster rules BTW. Long time and coming for that. I used to listen to Type O back in the day, they lost me after their third release. The first 3 were quite original and refreshing for the heavy genre. Peter Steele was an original, that's for sure...